• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(SS/HG) I need to cut 2 from my main team. Which ones?

Years
  • I have 8 pokemon that i use in battles, but it's a pain to switch them in and out and training them. I'm just going to have to cut 2 to have an even team. I need help to know which ones to cut so i could be prepared for the Elite Four.

1. Typhlosion-
    Lava Plume
    Swift
    Flame Wheel
    Shadow Claw

2. Victreebel
    Vine Whip
    Poison Powder
    Cut
    Acid

3. Sudowoodo
    Rock Slide
    Low Kick
    Rock Throw
    Rock Tomb

4. Quagsire
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Slam
    Mud Bomb

5. Pidgeot
    Fly
    Twister
    Wing Attack
    Quick Attack

6. Lugia
    Extrasensory
    Waterfall
    Hydro Pump
    Aeroblast

7. Ampharos
    Discharge
    Thunderpunch
    Flash
    Thunder Wave

8. Shiny Gyrados
    Surf
    Whirlpool
    Dragon Rage
    Ice Fang

And if there are any other changes i need to make, please let me know.

Years
  • Of your options I would say get rid of Pidgeot and Sudowoodo.
    The other 6 aren't bad options in alot of respects. I would recommend changing your movesets slightly though.

Ill offer a few suggestions on a couple of the pokemon that I run from time to time that are in your team.

Ampharos, try;
    Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Signal Beam/Power Gem.
    Its a basic Ampharos set. Has some good type coverage and attacking power. Thunder Wave is there to slow down your faster opponents.

Quagsire, try;
    Earthquake/Surf/Brick Break/Ice Punch
    Offers really good type coverage and Ice Punch is going to help you out alot with Lances dragons.

Gyarados, try;
    Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Earthquake
    Earthquake destroys its electric weakness. Waterfall is STAB and Ice Fang for dragons. As far as I am aware, this is one of the standard Gyarados sets.

Typhlosion, try;
    Doesn't really have a great movepool to choose from, and therefore can't offer a whole lot of good type coverage. In saying that though you can always go the Sunny Day + Solar Beam option to cover your water weakness.
    Flamethrower/Eruption/Focus Blast/Swift will probably get the job done in-game for you though.

The last couple I've done some quick research.

Victreebel, try;
    Leaf Blade/Toxic/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain
    Leaf Blade is STAB. Toxic to inflict some slow painful death. Sleep Powder as a backup option if you don't feel like using Toxic from time to time. Giga Drain to restore health.

Lugia, try;
    Psychic/Aeroblast/Dragon Pulse/Roost
    The first 2 attacks are for STAB purposes, and they're not bad attacks at that. Dragon Pulse just to add something different into your team and Roost to heal any damage.

Those last 2 sets, I have no idea whether they will work or not really. Im not overly familiar with either pokemon. I don't generally like grass types outside of Sceptile nor do I use legendaries.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Of your options I would say get rid of Pidgeot and Sudowoodo.
    The other 6 aren't bad options in alot of respects. I would recommend changing your movesets slightly though.

Ill offer a few suggestions on a couple of the pokemon that I run from time to time that are in your team.

Ampharos, try;
    Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Signal Beam/Power Gem.
    Its a basic Ampharos set. Has some good type coverage and attacking power. Thunder Wave is there to slow down your faster opponents.

Quagsire, try;
    Earthquake/Surf/Brick Break/Ice Punch
    Offers really good type coverage and Ice Punch is going to help you out alot with Lances dragons.

Gyarados, try;
    Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Earthquake
    Earthquake destroys its electric weakness. Waterfall is STAB and Ice Fang for dragons. As far as I am aware, this is one of the standard Gyarados sets.

Typhlosion, try;
    Doesn't really have a great movepool to choose from, and therefore can't offer a whole lot of good type coverage. In saying that though you can always go the Sunny Day + Solar Beam option to cover your water weakness.
    Flamethrower/Eruption/Focus Blast/Swift will probably get the job done in-game for you though.

The last couple I've done some quick research.

Victreebel, try;
    Leaf Blade/Toxic/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain
    Leaf Blade is STAB. Toxic to inflict some slow painful death. Sleep Powder as a backup option if you don't feel like using Toxic from time to time. Giga Drain to restore health.

Lugia, try;
    Psychic/Aeroblast/Dragon Pulse/Roost
    The first 2 attacks are for STAB purposes, and they're not bad attacks at that. Dragon Pulse just to add something different into your team and Roost to heal any damage.

Those last 2 sets, I have no idea whether they will work or not really. Im not overly familiar with either pokemon. I don't generally like grass types outside of Sceptile nor do I use legendaries.
    Thank you so much for the input. I will surely use it in the future. I will start preparing the moves right away.

Years
  • If that's what you want to do then go for it, why waste any time.
    Just make sure you check back on here to see if other members have offered other suggestions. Everyone has their own battle style, so the moves Ive suggested might not suit the way you play.

Theres no harm in trial and error though, thats for sure.

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    I suggest taking out he gyarados and victreebel. Gyarados is a water type, and you already have Quagsire. Why I say get rid of gyarados instead, is because the E4 is a lot likelier to have electric moves like thunder, which will knock out Gyarados completely. Grass moves, which PWN quagsire, are less likelier.

Victreebel seems useless to me, unless you're annoying the foe.. It's annoying bit won't be useful when houndoom (Karen) gets to you. Believe me, that will be strongest you have fought in the E4 so far, and it will empty quite a bit of your team (Known from experience.). Annoying seems unneeded for your team, Earthquake from Quag will take em out fast.

You might wanna change movesets of your team, as diabolico said. You need more STAB moves for your pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2012
    Definitely get rid of Pidgeot. I learned the hard way it has terrible stats but I can't replace him right now. And sudowoodo would get dominated by everything in the elite four. Victreebel you might want to replace simply because he'll only have type advantage against a few pokemon in the E4. Actually, he'll quite suck in the Elite 4. And keep gyarados as a wall/ dragon killer. Ice fang dominates if he's been trained with good enough attack

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I have 8 pokemon that i use in battles, but it's a pain to switch them in and out and training them. I'm just going to have to cut 2 to have an even team. I need help to know which ones to cut so i could be prepared for the Elite Four.

1. Typhlosion-
    Lava Plume
    Swift
    Flame Wheel
    Shadow Claw

2. Victreebel
    Vine Whip
    Poison Powder
    Cut
    Acid

3. Sudowoodo
    Rock Slide
    Low Kick
    Rock Throw
    Rock Tomb

4. Quagsire
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Slam
    Mud Bomb

5. Pidgeot
    Fly
    Twister
    Wing Attack
    Quick Attack

6. Lugia
    Extrasensory
    Waterfall
    Hydro Pump
    Aeroblast

7. Ampharos
    Discharge
    Thunderpunch
    Flash
    Thunder Wave

8. Shiny Gyrados
    Surf
    Whirlpool
    Dragon Rage
    Ice Fang

And if there are any other changes i need to make, please let me know.

You have to think which Pokemon the E4 uses and then counter them.

Will uses Psychic types mixed with various others;

Typhlosion with Shadow claw would be the option, and of course Ampharos to combat Slowbro.

Next up is Koga, Quagsire and Lugia are the one's to use, and Typhlosion to go up against Forrtress

Bruno's next so Lugia is the guy to use; he'll wipe the floor. Karen's got Dark Types along with Vileplume and Gengar, Typhlosion takes care of Vileplume and Gengar, and Sudowoodo can take down the rest.

Lance; use Ampharos, Gyarados and Lugia. Take Surf away for Waterfall.

So Pidgeot and Victreebel are cut.

Hope this helps :D

Back