• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS!!!!!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    More like the new movies are going to be the new canon and what was canon before was axed.

Also, there were always multiple levels of canon in the Holocron. The films were there own thing and then there was the Expanded Universe.

To quote George Lucas on the matter:

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.

Prior to the release of the prequel trilogy, derivative works were not allowed to be published about that era in the story. The setting after the the original trilogy though was fair game. And for a long time the perceived sequel trilogy to many fans was Timothy Zahn's The Thrawn Trilogy.

So, Disney didn't really have a choice here. All they really did was say "hey, in case you forgot, the EU is separate. Always has been. We're making sequels based off of Lucas' original story outlines in the 70s, we're not touching the Thrawn stories"

If anything, more EU has made it into core canon with multimedia projects (Clone Wars, Shadows of the Empire) apparently being included now.

Sir Codin

Also, there were always multiple levels of canon in the Holocron. The films were there own thing and then there was the Expanded Universe.

To quote George Lucas on the matter:

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.

Prior to the release of the prequel trilogy, derivative works were not allowed to be published about that era in the story. The setting after the the original trilogy though was fair game. And for a long time the perceived sequel trilogy to many fans was Timothy Zahn's The Thrawn Trilogy.

So, Disney didn't really have a choice here. All they really did was say "hey, in case you forgot, the EU is separate. Always has been. We're making sequels based off of Lucas' original story outlines in the 70s, we're not touching the Thrawn stories"

If anything, more EU has made it into core canon with multimedia projects (Clone Wars, Shadows of the Empire) apparently being included now.

Well, I can understand Disney axing material taking place after Return Of The Jedi as non-canon (despite how good the Thrawn trilogy was), but they declared stuff that took place before Phantom Menace as non-canon too, including Bioware's Knights Of The Old Republic and the sequel by Obsidian, both of which were at least ten times better written than all three prequel films combined.

mastaB_

grandmasta_flex
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    I'm crazy excited for this. As for what is canon and what isn't, as long as it's in the star wars universe I'm happy with it. There are some series where chronology and facts are important to me, but I don't have the patience or time to try and figure that out when it comes to the star wars series. I have enough trouble following basics like pokemon and zelda lol.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Well, I can understand Disney axing material taking place after Return Of The Jedi as non-canon (despite how good the Thrawn trilogy was), but they declared stuff that took place before Phantom Menace as non-canon too, including Bioware's Knights Of The Old Republic and the sequel by Obsidian, both of which were at least ten times better written than all three prequel films combined.
    Right, but as Lucas stated they weren't G-canon in the Holocron. They were just part of an expanded universe, as they still are now. It's just called Legends instead. That the new Expanded Universe won't be obligated to take the old one into account can be a concern though, yeah.

Axing pre-Episode I makes sense though too. Since Disney's going to be doing stand alone movies. Who knows when those might take place?

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Right, but as Lucas stated they weren't G-canon in the Holocron. They were just part of an expanded universe, as they still are now. It's just called Legends instead. That the new Expanded Universe won't be obligated to take the old one into account can be a concern though, yeah.

Axing pre-Episode I makes sense though too. Since Disney's going to be doing stand alone movies. Who knows when those might take place?
    Yeah, but declaring some of my favorite EU pieces non-canon just really ruined it for me. I just can't go back to them, because it's like, what difference will it make?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    The characters' names are already revealed:

Finn: portrayed by John Boyega, the one in a new stormtrooper suit.
    Rey: portrayed by Daisy Ridley, the one who rode in a vehicle in Tatooine. I guess she is one in the main protagonists of the story.
    Kylo Ren: I dunno who portrayed this (many assume it is Adam Driver but no visual proof about this) but he is a "Sith Lord" something and most likely the main antagonist of the story... or not.
    Poe Dameron: portrayed by Oscar Isaac, the one in a new rebel pilot suit in a blue striped X-Wing.

I have read this here and there would be other revelations soon for other characters who don't have new names yet (since they don't stick up with the original Expanded Universe, and the story as well).

Sir Codin

I have high hopes for Finn, I get the feeling he'll be a very interesting character.

If nothing else, I like him because he's proof that Abrams and I are on the same page about the whole idea of the Stormtroopers being clones being a stupid idea. I'm glad he threw that out.

Sir Codin

Whelp, looks like Mr. Plinkett has seen the new trailer at last. Hey, let's look on the bright side: if the new movie rules, we'll have an awesome Star Wars movie, a return to the classic space adventure film, the Star Wars movies we deserve; not the terrible outcome of the prequels, but the new Star Wars movies we deserve.

If it sucks, we'll get an awesome and funny Mr. Plinkett review pointing out everything wrong with it so we can post it in reply to any moron who liked the terrible new film. Plus, Darths & Droids will also take the movie and make it even better.

You can't go wrong with this.

Last edited:
    Back