• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starter Help!!!

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    Me and my brother are going to pick up the game and start playing the TCG again. I've been looking around and all I'm seeing is all these crazy names for packs. I'm from the first gen 150 original pokemon. Thats the last time I played. So I Guess I'm asking. Where do we start, we want to start competing so were looking for legal playable cards to start building decks. Thanks to anyone for any future help.

Years
  • Look for a Trainer Kit to relearn how to play. Preferably the Black & White Trainer Kit since that's got the most recent version of the rules in it, though the HeartGold SoulSilver Trainer Kit has cards that are more fun (the Gyarados and Raichu cards in there actually can be pretty decent at tournaments, and there are several very good trainers in that Trainer Kit), though that was the Trainer Kit released in 2010 and could be on its way out with the next set rotation which will happen in August, so it will be much harder to find than the Black & White Trainer Kit, which does have some very good trainer cards of its own.

Trainer Kits are the functional replacement of the Starter Deck.

If it's looking up currently tournament legal cards you want, PokeGym's Researching Tower ( www.pokegym.net/tower ) is set by default to show only cards from the current tournament format, and is the tool I use to look up currently legal cards and to verify a card's appearance because of the built-in search tool.

That said, a simple (and fairly cheap) deck for the current format for newer players is one called Reshiphlosion, featuring the Typhlosion Prime (the one with the holographic card border) from the HeartGold SoulSilver set, the holographic Ninetales from that same set, and the Reshiram card from Black & White (both versions in the set are functionally the same card, and a couple of the official promo cards are just this card with different artwork for the Pokemon).

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    @donavannj

Thanks for the help. I know how to play, I'm just looking for a list of legal or relevant cards right now i guess.

Edit:

So from my understanding the list on (pokegym.net/tower) shows all the usable cards in current tournament play?

Years
  • @donavannj

Thanks for the help. I know how to play, I'm just looking for a list of legal or relevant cards right now i guess.

Edit:

So from my understanding the list on (pokegym.net/tower) shows all the usable cards in current tournament play?

The reason I'm suggesting the Trainer Kits is that the rules have changed some over the years.

And your assumption would be correct.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    @donavannj

Thanks alot! My girlfriend, brother and I all went and bought starter decks and booster packs today!!! Pretty excited to get the ball rolling.

@donavannj

Thanks alot! My girlfriend, brother and I all went and bought starter decks and booster packs today!!! Pretty excited to get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Prons

Boogiepop Penguin
    Years
  • Those suggestions are great donavannj, I didn't know the trainer box existed and it's def on my to buy list now.

You mentioned the Reshiphlosion deck, does that particular deck come with a code to get those cards on the Pokemon TCG Online game, or is it strictly a real-life deck?

Years
  • Those suggestions are great donavannj, I didn't know the trainer box existed and it's def on my to buy list now.

You mentioned the Reshiphlosion deck, does that particular deck come with a code to get those cards on the Pokemon TCG Online game, or is it strictly a real-life deck?

It's strictly a real-life deck (one invented by the players of the game), but you can still get all the cards in the online TCG if you wanted had enough booster codes to swap for the right boosters or to use to exchange a certain number of boosters for an individual card.

Back