• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
Well..........
Honestly, I'm going to go for Fennekin, because the starters really don't look so great this time around. Here are my current starters:

Gen1: Charmander
Reason: Charizard is epic, and Charmander can learn Metal Claw (to defeat Brock and also if you catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, then the rival is easy)

Gen2: Cyndaquil
Reason: Quilava is SO CUTE XD.

Gen3: Mudkip
Reason: None of them were SUPER great, but Mudkip is fun. (and I herd u liek mudkipz too bro)

Gen4: Turtwig
Reason: Ground type allows for defeating the rival easily, and it's the easiest to battle with.

Gen5: Oshawott
Reason: Samurott is EPIC 2-DA MAX. When I first saw it I was like "aw yea legendary" even though I found out it wasn't.

Gen6 (so far): Fennekin
Reason: It's the best design, Chespin looks OK, and Froakie looks weird (but cool)

My thoughts on the 2-type thing:

Chespin: Grass/Ground
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic
Froakie: Water/Fighting

Even though the second trio doesn't work out like Dark/Psy/Fight does, it is more realistic, based off what I see right now.

Years
Nerd Alert, pokemon researching!

"The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya"

He is a ninja who uses shapeshifting magic to morph into a gigantic toad. As the heir of a powerful clan in Kyūshū of the same name, Jiraiya fell in love with Tsunade (綱手), a beautiful young maiden who masters slug magic. His arch-enemy was his one-time follower Yashagorō (夜叉五郎), later known as Orochimaru (大蛇丸), who mastered serpent magic (the kanji 大蛇 literally mean "giant snake" or "serpent").

This toad/ninja motif is VERY popular in Japanese video games, television, and other forms of media.

The story has been featured most notably in Naruto playing out several of the characters from the story.

500px-Ep162-ToadSummons.png

Lastly, the story describes the toad character as a Robin Hood of sorts. He uses his stealth and powers to oppose the ruling classes as a chivalrous robber. The story is heavily pertinent to kings, crowns, thrones, ect. This could really transcend to French/European royal history and culture. Additionally, he lovely wife fought along side him as a magician.

So now we have the knight, the mage(magician), and the Thief (ninja)

Ninja, just didn't fit the motif at first, but now, with the background of a stealthy robin-hood inspired character, the reference makes sense and connects to the European theme. I have a feeling with the drawbridges and castles in the Kalos map, we might see more medieval or royal motifs. Fairies also allude to medieval royalty folklore.

For evolutions, I could see Froakie go into the whole frog prince/toad king motif as well. Going with a less conventional royalty, "the king of thieves".

Years
When I saw Fennekin I said, okay I'm gonna choose this. But now I love Froakie too. It's gonna be a tough decision. And I think if they add a type to Froakie's evolutions this will be /Fighting. It will be interesting cause if Fennekin's evo is Fire/Psychic and Froakie's Water/Fighting then no one has an advantage haha

Years
I'm most likely going to be going with a fire type as my starter, but honestly, a lot of what I'll choose as my starter depends on what kind of pokemon are available later in game, such as a grass, water or fire type.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I'm most likely going to be going with a fire type as my starter, but honestly, a lot of what I'll choose as my starter depends on what kind of pokemon are available later in game, such as a grass, water or fire type.

I think the same way. That's why I'm not gonna pick Fenny on my first playthrough, cause there are a lot of fire types already in the game that I'd like to use.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I honestly wouldn't want for Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic. Obviously, I don't want it to be Fire/Fighting. However, I think that making it Fire/Psychic would basically be like Nintendo saying: "welp, here's another Ninetales." I think it really should be Fire/Fairy. If Fairy types are strong against Fighting types, it would be a good way to balance it out. That is, if Froakie's evolutions are Water/Fighting.

I actually think either Fennekin or Chespin is going to be secondary Fairy type. It'd be a good way to promote the new type and all. Plus, what better species to be Fairy types? A small, cute fox and a small, cute woodland creature? Yeah, one of those just screams Fairy.

You know, the hoodie on Chespin makes me think of a Little Red Riding Hood motif, with its evolution eventually being the Big Bad "Wolf." A Fairy type being based on a fairy tale? Huh?

Years
Im pretty sure Froakie will be water/fighting and its evolution is like a ninja frog!

I'm sure if you noticed in the latest Pokemon XY anime trailer Froakie definitely gives off a ninja vibe to me, so I'm hoping that will be its evolution line will have that motif. In fact, given the images I've seen on Tumblr I'm hinting a ninja motif thanks to what I've seen so far:

tumblr_inline_mrzr4wqvAN1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_inline_mrzr8c8KqR1qz4rgp.gif

Throwing its bubbles like shuriken, a common ninja weapon. The bubble cloak even acts like a mask.

And in the anime artwork of Froakie, Chespin and Fennekin together, it looks like Froakie is pulling something out of the bubble cloak:

20130630152232%21Kalos_starters_XY_anime.png

I am all hoping for this, because I'd love a badass ninja frog for my starter!

I honestly wouldn't want for Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic. Obviously, I don't want it to be Fire/Fighting. However, I think that making it Fire/Psychic would basically be like Nintendo saying: "welp, here's another Ninetales." I think it really should be Fire/Fairy. If Fairy types are strong against Fighting types, it would be a good way to balance it out. That is, if Froakie's evolutions are Water/Fighting.

I actually think either Fennekin or Chespin is going to be secondary Fairy type. It'd be a good way to promote the new type and all. Plus, what better species to be Fairy types? A small, cute fox and a small, cute woodland creature? Yeah, one of those just screams Fairy.

You know, the hoodie on Chespin makes me think of a Little Red Riding Hood motif, with its evolution eventually being the Big Bad "Wolf."

Interesting thought there on Chespin, although I'm hoping it has some knight-related theme to its line given it has that hard shell covering its head and back, hopefully might be Grass/Rock or Grass/Steel. The latter would make it like a pseudo-Ferrothorn but more offense focused. As for Fennekin I definitely see a magic fox vibe since most are depicted like mythical creatures, although I'm hoping the evolutions aren't too similar to Vulpix's line.

While Fennekin is confirmed to learn two Psychic attacks so far, I could see the Fire/Psychic rumor being true, although Fire/Fairy won't be too bad either.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Woah, Froakie is impressive! I didn't expect it to be so agile in the air. Even so, I'm going with my initial love, Fennekin. Cmon baby, I'm rooting for Fire/Psychic after Victini failed me so. o3o

Years
since i always goes for the fire one, and water just doesn't feel right... i'm going to make big changes for this game (first is actually buying it and 3ds xl) and choose the grass type, Chespin.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 15, 2013
For now, I vote Froakie as I am afraid that Fennekin might stand up on its two feet and become yet another fire fighting type. I plan on using the fire/flying bird pokemon as my fire type. And I dont like starting with the grass type, always felt like it was the worst one, y'know?

Years
This is the first time in any generation where I have loved all three Pokémon equally, however, I am choosing Chespin as he just tips it over for me! He is unbelievably cute and I hardly ever start with a Grass-type. Plus I'll be getting the event Wi-Fi Torchic so I'll have a Fire-type in my team anyway. :P

Years
Going to have to go with fennekin, purely because fennec foxes are the cutest things ever!

I was tempted to choose Fennekin but my best friend and his girlfriend are getting Pokémon X/Y as well and they are both choosing Fennekin and Froakie; luckily Chespin was my favourite, so I'll be choosing him.

It doesn't bother me as I'll have a Speed Boost Torchic on my team anyway >_<​

Red Viper

Pokémon Collector
Years
Since a very long time, I can't choose. The last time I liked all the starters was the 2nd generation. But I think I will choose between Chespin and Fennekin.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I admit it was difficult for me to choose between Fennekin and Chespin...had I not commited since the beginning to Fennekin I may now be saying Chespin...Froakie sadly was the least appealing...and still sort of is, it doesn't appeal to me as much as the latest water starters.

Years
I admit it was difficult for me to choose between Fennekin and Chespin...had I not commited since the beginning to Fennekin I may now be saying Chespin...Froakie sadly was the least appealing...and still sort of is, it doesn't appeal to me as much as the latest water starters.

In my case its comletely different, froakie is the first water starter since madkip that I like the most based on first stage(in the first moment that I got to see sceptile he became my favorite hoenn starter)

Sirfetch’d

I agree with you about Froakie. It is kinda cute, but just not appealing as a starter Pokemon. This left me torn between Chespin and Fennekin as well because they are both fabulous Pokemon. I decided that I am choosing Chespin, but I will likely get both versions so I can choose both of them =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back