• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Starter Pokemon

Which starters did you choose?

• Total voters

Dexter Morgan

Born to be Wild
Years
  • I chose chimchar in platinum because i like the combination of types of infernape. And then, in heartgold i picked just as i did in the old gold version. I'm nostalgic, i know XD

Years
  • Chimchar and Cyndaquil. I love the fire starters in every generation but I actually think that Cyndaquil and Chimchar are my favorites. Their final evolved forms most definitely have a huge influence on this, Typhlosion and Infernape are two undoubtedly very good Pokemon. But it's not only this, I actually really like the starters in themselves. I love their designs and also the colors associated with fire. I am and will always be a lover of the fire starters ♥

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • While the first starter I picked from D/P/Pt was Piplup, simply because I thought Empoleon looked insanely cool at the time, my favourite is by far Chimchar. Playing through it all with the Piplup line, I found it to be pretty... underwhelmning? It pretty much didn't live up to my expectations of being a total bad-ass, and I generally didn't like using it much. Nowadays, I don't think too highly of it's design either, so yeah, Piplup is kinda meh. Torterra looks super cool though, but I've always felt like the Turtwig line was more of a Bulbasaur knock-off, and I just never really got around to using it much. One of my friends used it though, so I did get to see what it was capable through him, but again, eh.

Chimchar definitely takes the cake though, and totally disintegrated it as well :p Literally everything about Chimchar and its evolutionary line was perfect, maybe juust except for how it was the same typing as typing as Blaziken. But that's alright, they wouldn't do it again, right :p RIGHT?! But I digress, Infernape is definitely up there in my favourite Pokemon list, and entirely because I feel like it's gotten all of the important factors in what makes a great Pokemon down. Good design? Check! Great stats? Check! Great movepool? Ehh, it doesn't learn any physical Fire type moves until Flare Blitz, which is its last move, so could be better. But otherwise, check! And that's about what I consider the most important factors of a good Pokemon :p

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
    Years
  • Ahem edit begins

In Platinum I took most awesome pokemon - That's right - an awesome Turtwig.He always lead my team to victory.When he evolves into Grottle he has still cute but, when Grottle evolves into Torterra I think he's the biggest badass in entire series of Pokemon video games ( Strong,Grass/Ground type & perfect moveset pool ) What to wan't more for overall beloved monster.

In Heart Gold I choose again - Grass type starter - Chikorita like in Crystal. But She's looking like full of energy cannon monster.I know Chikorita looks girly. But for me it is beloved Johto pokemon . I always had her with me. Moveset pool is not perfectly awesome for this Grass type pokemon. Or maybe I need to replay Heart Gold and let the journey begin with her again in Mono type / Solo challenges.

Last edited:

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
    Years
  • I love water moves, pokemons.. so, its naturally, i pick up Piplup and Totodile (so sweeet)! ( ^_^ ) The last evolutions in this pokemon's are strong, looks good, have great moves etc etc.. One word ~> The best! :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I didn't use any starter in DPPt. I probably picked whoever the first option was and ditched it.
    In HGSS I used them all at some point, but my first was Cyndaquil. Typhlosion was pretty awesome.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
  • Well on Pokemon Diamond i picked Turtwig! he's a mean, green fighting machine who becomes both a tank, and an offensive monster... when in his final stage of Torterra, he is simply unbeatable, he can even take down those fire types with earthquake!

and on SoulSilver i chose... Totodile... yes i know i wanted to choose Cyndaquil soooo badly but when i was looking through the pokeballs on the top.screen, totodile was a shiny, so i wasn't going to pass that up!

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2015
    I don't know what made me choose Turtwig in pokemon Pearl, but I'm glad that I did~ it's a really handy pokemon.

On SoulSilver, I got Cyndaquil. While Totodile looked awesome, and chikorita looked cute, Cyndaquil was just in between, plus I find his evolutions better than the others~

Letalis

#151 ♦
    Years
  • I've played Pearl 3 times, and chosen a different starter each time.
    The first time I played Pearl I chose Piplup, simply because it's final evolution (Empoleon~) was brilliant in my eyes. By the Champion, I had a level 80 Empoleon with such a high defense and attack rate that even types super effective against it did minimal damage. Then my dog decided to snatch my game chip and chew it to pieces...
    The second time I played I chose Chimchar, and it was probably the best starter I had in a Pokemon game by far. It's attack rate was amazing, taking out the strongest water opponents with the weakest Fire-Type moves it knew. I clocked Pearl with it and sadly I haven't picked up Pearl since all of the new Gens have been released. :<
    Last I chose Turtwig and eh, it was pretty mediocre compared to those I chose originally... It was a beast but training and evolving it just wasn't as exciting imo.

Back