• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starters: Fire,Grass, or Water?

Years
    I never pick my starters by type, I always pick the one which looks best and also has cool looking evolutions.
    So far, most of my starters have been fire types (Charmander, Cyndaquil and Chimchar).

I have never picked a Grass starter before o.o

Years
    Although Charizard and Infernape are my favourite Pokemon, my favourite type of starter is water. I always used to pick them when i was younger.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    FR / LG: Bulbasaur
    G / S / C: Cyndaquil
    R / S / E: Mudkip
    D / P: Piplup, but then end up using Infernape more.

There's no trend, sirs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    I will usually choose the fire types (Typhlosion, Charizard and Infernape) but in the third gen it would definitely be Swampert because he has the best design in that generation.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Fire. They are rarer and good ones are hard to get.

Sanctuary

Member #11,352
    Years
    I always chose fire types in the previous generations as starters, since fire Pokemon is my second favourite type. But in D/P I chose Piplup since.. it just looked to cute I couldn't resist choosing it. XD

But next I would choose Grass type Pokemon, since they're really cool~ Chikorita and Turtwig. <3
    Water Pokemon are nice but.. they're kind of too similar for my liking.

Years
    For R/B/Y, Charmander was #1 for me because of it's eventual dual type. Followed by Squirtle over Bulbasaur. Not because it was better, but because Bulby started boring and ended boring. For G/S/C, Totodile won out because it pulled off the freaky-yet-cool-yet-tough look. Second was Cynaquil because Typhlosion beats all fire pokemon on every point, followed by Chikorita for the same reason as R/B/Y's grass starter. R/S/E was no contest: They all bite. I always closed my eyes and chose randomly, quickly catching Hoenn's Rattata and Weedle. (Zigzagoon & Wurmple, respectivly.) Finally, for D/P, Piplup won over all, because steel is one of my fav. types. Following close was Turtwig because of the total 180º from the crummy appearences of the other grass starters. Way, WAAAAAAAAAY back there is of course, Chimchar, IMO the worst looking pokemon, as well as worst performing starter, in the entire series. Long story short: Piplup, Totodile, Cyndaquil, Turtwig, Charmander, Chikorita, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Mudkip+Torchic+Treeko, Chimchar.

~SunnyDay~

Grawr!
    Years
    I'd have to say water first and then fire. It really does depend on the generation, and the only time i picked grass was in the 2nd gen. I didn't like it =\

Piplup is hardcore awesome/cute! =P

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    mine was always fire. For some reason, I guess it all had to do with Charizard growing up. But I love starting over and doing different things.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Well duh, Water! Haha. Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup.

But my picks when I start my game over go Water-Fire-Grass. Not really a grass fan of any sort, but that usually haunts me multiple times in the game. You gotta have a weakness somewhere I suppose.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I prefer Fire overall as a type, so I always go with Charmander and Torchic.

But I couldn't resist Chikorita and Piplup! They're so cute and their final evolutions are just awesome.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Depends on what game it is,
    B/R/ is usually Bulbasaur.
    G/S is usually Totodile.
    R/S is usually Torchic.
    D/P is usually Piplup.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    I used to take water, but now I prefer fire...I've never liked grass though. Don't know why :\

Kanto: Squirtle
    Johto: Totodile
    Hoenn: Torchik
    Sinnoh: Chimchar

50% water, 50% fire, 0% grass :)

Back