• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Starters' needed secondary types

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    When I saw Emboar, I was disappointed with the type. Here's what the types should have been for the final Starter evos.

Emboar: Fire/Dark: It's a pig demon. This type would have greatly improved the actual Pokemon.

Serperior: A Grass/Dragon is something never seen, and it would have definitely helped Serperior.

Samurott: I think Water/Ice would have been great for Samurott. Support of STAB Ice-Type moves would be helpful. Or Water/Fighting would also be good.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    If you want to play with those typings, there's a hack in the Sideshow Showcase here (Pokémon Blaze Black & Volt White) that changes the typings to those you want (Water/Fighting Samurott, Grass/Dragon Serperior, and Fire/Dark Emboar.) The hack also inserts Gen I-IV Pokémon pre-Elite Four as well.

If Samurott was Water/Ice, Grass/Dragon Serperior would be double-weak to Ice, which would reverse the type triangle. Emboar would get the short end of the stick, being normal-effective on both other Pokémon with both STABs, compared to Samurott being 4x effective on Serperior (which it is supposed to be NVE against!) and 2x effective on Emboar with STAB.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    When I saw Emboar, I was disappointed with the type. Here's what the types should have been for the final Starter evos.

Emboar: Fire/Dark: It's a pig demon. This type would have greatly improved the actual Pokemon.

Serperior: A Grass/Dragon is something never seen, and it would have definitely helped Serperior.

Samurott: I think Water/Ice would have been great for Samurott. Support of STAB Ice-Type moves would be helpful. Or Water/Fighting would also be good.

Emboar:Fire/Fighting There's nothing wrong with emboar, how does he look like a demon?

Serperior:Grass/Dragon: It would be very helpful but then everyone would choose him/her as a starter than emboar and samourott, he/she would be overkill wouldn't it?

Samurott:Water/Steel: He looks more of a steel type than ice type with water if you think about it.

I think I know why they didn't put two types because it would kinda be overkill.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    @ Flashmeteor: Where does Samurott look like a Bug-type!? o_O;;

I personally couldn't disagree with the discussion of adding/changing the secondary types of the Starters. The only Starter I was greatly disappointed in this Generation was Emboar, who took the extremely odd turn of following Blaziken and Infernape into the dojo of Fighting-type Pokemon. I liked Blaziken in Gen. III, and I shrugged off Infernape's typing in Gen. IV... but I can't forgive Emboar's typing this Generation.

Tepig's evolutions could have very easily been an awesome single-typed Starter, just like its fellow Gen. V Starters, but instead, they pretty much gave poor Tepig the short end of the stick. Yes, it might be decent in battle, but frankly, I don't care. All Tepig's evolutions did was show a lack of creativity on Game Freak's part, in my opinion.

Though I guess there is one secondary typing I would agree with; Samurott being part Fighting-type would have made much more sense than forcing the Fire-type Starter down that route. It would have broken the chain of Poliwrath being the only Water/Fighting-type, excluding Legendaries, and I personally think it would have made Samurott cooler, too. If they REALLY wanted a Fighting-type Starter, they should have gone with Samurott. But I personally feel they would have been better going the route of Generation II, and just having them as mono-typed Pokemon.

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
    @ Flashmeteor: Where does Samurott look like a Bug-type!? o_O;;

I personally couldn't disagree with the discussion of adding/changing the secondary types of the Starters. The only Starter I was greatly disappointed in this Generation was Emboar, who took the extremely odd turn of following Blaziken and Infernape into the dojo of Fighting-type Pokemon. I liked Blaziken in Gen. III, and I shrugged off Infernape's typing in Gen. IV... but I can't forgive Emboar's typing this Generation.

Tepig's evolutions could have very easily been an awesome single-typed Starter, just like its fellow Gen. V Starters, but instead, they pretty much gave poor Tepig the short end of the stick. Yes, it might be decent in battle, but frankly, I don't care. All Tepig's evolutions did was show a lack of creativity on Game Freak's part, in my opinion.

Though I guess there is one secondary typing I would agree with; Samurott being part Fighting-type would have made much more sense than forcing the Fire-type Starter down that route. It would have broken the chain of Poliwrath being the only Water/Fighting-type, excluding Legendaries, and I personally think it would have made Samurott cooler, too. If they REALLY wanted a Fighting-type Starter, they should have gone with Samurott. But I personally feel they would have been better going the route of Generation II, and just having them as mono-typed Pokemon.

His shell could pass for Bug-type. xD Don't you think STAB from Megahorn would be awesome though?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I actually think Samurott should be a Bug-type, to get STAB from Megahorn.
    Only problem is, Samurott doesn't look anything like an insect.

The only things I'd change here are making Serperior into Grass/Dragon and Emboar into Fire/Dark or Fire/Ground.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I also think that emboar shouldnt have been fighting and agree that dark would be cool :D

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    There isn't much to discuss here... we all know Nintendo's Fire/Fight fail, we all wanted Serperior to be dragon. But Samurott really should have been Water/Fighting, not /Ice. Just my opinion. :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    So right... so true.

Emboar is a poor excuse for a fighting type. Not only would it have made more sense for it to be a dark-type to compliment the also "The Monkey King"/"Journey to the West" fire/fighting Infernape, it would have been much more attractive and original to use a quadrupedal razor back boar.

Samurott would've made an awesome fighting type as well... if it were bipedal.

However, Serperior wouldn't make such a great dragon type. Most dragon types are already categorized as being in the dragon egg group. Serperior is in the plant and ground egg groups and can only learn Dragon Tail via TM and Twister via breeding. If any starter Pokemon were to be made Dragon type, it would be both Charizard and Sceptile. However, I should add that it is called the "Royalty" Pokemon, and Dragon-types are often associated with royalty (well, I'm just going off of the fact that the Gummi for the Dragon-type is the Royal Gummi). And too bad it can't be a poison-type either, though it would make sense for an ivy-and-snake based Pokemon to be poisonous. Reason: it can only learn Coil, Gastro Acid, and Toxic. No Sludge Bomb nor Poison Tail.

Now, if Pokemon were to ever introduce a light-type, Serperior would make a good candidate, considering that Snivy's speed sharpens in sunlight.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I personally agree on this. It would be amazing if it were from the 2nd evo up for all starters.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I would've liked it if they all had secondary types. Either they all do, or none of them do. Serperior could be used as a Grass/Poison type, since it's a snake, and it does seem like it could get lots of poison moves. Emboar I think is a decent choice for typing, as it sort of resembles a pig, as well as a sumo wrestler when I first saw it. Samurott I would say make that either fighting or rock type, but then it would mess up the whole thing with those water types which are also rock types, which are primarily fossil Pokemon.

Locket

nothin' but a latiarse.
    Years
    i lol'd at the 'samurott should be a bug type'..
    anywaaay, serperiors move pool isn't that great for me so i agree it should have a second type.. dragon maybe? or poison actually o.O. with samurott, i agree that it should be a fighting type - that would be cool but bug.. no. just no. since when did it look like a insect?
    also with emboar being fire/fighting.. ANOTHER ONE GAMEFREAK? FFFF. that disappointed me. fire/dark would of been a lot better or even just fire alone.

sarious

Time Lord
    Years
    I think if samurott would be water/ice it would have waaaay too many weaknesses, but I could see water/fighting

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Serperior should be Grass/Poison as previously mentioned it could be a venomous snake. This would also add to a mediocre movepool. Intially when I saw the first two during the pre-release info I thought it would make for Dragon then the final evo ruined it for me.

Emboar does not need to be Fighting type. It was supposedly based off a pig demon so give it Fire/Dark. Or since pigs wallow in mud allow add a Ground secondary typing. Yes part of the inspiration from the design was a wrestler but honestly we don't need any more Fire/Fighting.

Samurott looks more Fighting as a Bipedal then Emboar does. It's based of a Samurai so give it some Fighting characteristics like a Fighting secondary type. Looks more fighting based then Keldeo. I don't see any characteristics that would lend an attribute of Bug typing to Samurott. Megahorn is there because of it's large horn. Kind of like with the Nidoking.

Roserade

Proud Member of the PQ.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2014
    Wouldn't it be weird if any starter chain would be. Fire/Grass, Water/Fire, Grass/Water.

Kind of weird but just something to think about. Also, the idea of them all being dragons was thrown around in other forums, but it would kind of wreck the chain. Samurott would have the upper hand, due to its ability to learn Ice moves. :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I really love Emboar's fire/fighting, it's so freaking handy to get arm thrust that early on in the game, 'cause it means Lenora + grinding = easy. Whereas the other starters = harder. Though yeah, if Samurott had fighting, Oshawott would probs get that upper hand, but still... :(

Even though it'd make logically more sense for Emboar to be ground or dark, the design kinda ruins that, as mentioned. Serperior, I honestly don't care about, and I think it's probably cause it's just grass. I hate grass types. :3 But yeaaah, if not fighting for Samurott it should've taken ice. Both would've worked out perfectly. D<

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    emboar is the worst fire beginner yet, they shouldnt have made a fire pig to begin with,it just turns itself into bacon & fire/fighting got old with infernape which wasnt as good as blaziken anyways.

serperior shouldve been dragon,just like sceptile, but nintendo is trollin.

lastly samurott shouldve been a random type noone wouldve expected, just cuz its that cool

Back