• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starters, starters

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Just like always, we've had three Pokémon to choose from as our starter in X and Y, and they were Froakie, Chespin, and Fennekin. So, which did you end up going with? Why did you select it? Is it still in your team, or have you replaced it? Did you nickname it? Also, what's your personal opinion on these Kalos starter Pokémon—like them, or dislike? d:

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
  • I went with Chespin, purely and simply because every single generation of games, the first time i play through a game, i ALWAYS choose the Grass Type starter without fail, no matter what. I myself am not quite sure why i do this, maybe because Grass Types are rarely chosen, but i feel it is more to do with personal preference :)

Years
  • I went with Froakie. I fell in love with the cute little bubble frog! And my bff, knowing that I ADORE ninjas, told me that he evolves into Greninja. I kept Greninja at the head of my party unroll the beth end, with Charizard as his 2nd in command. Both have RARELY ever left my party.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I choose Froakie as I've always chosen water type starters throughout the gens

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Greninja > Chesnaught and Delphox. Ninja frogs are awesome, and it was in my party for the entire main story and some of the post-game. Overall, the Kalos starters are my third favorite set of starters, behind the Kanto and Hoenn ones.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Gonna choose Fennekin
    Gonna choose Fennekin
    Gonna choose Fennek-hey is that thing supposed to be a ninja frog?
    Gonna choose Froakie!

I was attracted towards Fennekin at first due to my love of Fox Pokemon but when I discovered that Greninja was both a Ninja and of the Dark type, he started to remind me of a beloved frog beanie baby I used to own who had the persona of being a Ninja...so he immediately became my first choice.

I do prefer Delphox over Greninja though, and Chesnaught is in the rather awkward position of being in a trio of starters where they're all good but Delphox and Greninja just seem better.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • Here's what I do when I can't decide: look at the last number of your trainer ID. if its 1-3, pick grass, if its 4-6, fire, and 7-9 is water. o is your choice. I chose Cespin cuz mine was a 3.

Years
  • Starters, starters

Given I'm a fan of Water-types it was totally not surprising that I'm on Team Froakie.

I was actually pretty happy he turned out with the most awesome-looking evolution of the three, and given the whole ninja theme I knew he was too much of a badass to pass up. Greninja is so amazing thanks to its pretty neat diversity with its movepool, and with Protean it only gets better.

Years
  • I went through a phase where I liked each one. at the very beginning, I was on the Fennekin bandwagon. After a while, I decided that I liked the way Chespin's line could go, and so barring any terrible evolution concepts, I'd go with him. Unfortunately, Quilladin... didn't meet my expectations, and once Greninja was announced, I was sold. I picked Froakie, and haven't looked back since. :]

Years
  • I chose Froakie, because...well, he is a ninja frog! XD
    Overall, I liked his design a lot better. Some people where turned off by Greninja's tongue when hit was revealed, but I loved it. My original Greninja is not with me because I switched him for a Protean one I trained up.

Years
  • I went with Fennekin, simply due to the fact that I like foxes. Delphox is a bit weird looking and I'm not really a fan. I think if Delphox didn't look like it was wearing a robe made out of its own fur I may have liked it more.

I'm generally not a fan of fire, water or grass types in general, so I was never that invested in my starter pokemon. As such they are no longer with me.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I picked Fennekin, and it's now a Delphox of great ability. It's the strongest Pokemon in my party as of now.

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    At first, I was going to choose Chespin because of my Grass-type tradition. I threw that out the window once I saw Fennekin's evolutions. So I chose Fennekin. It broke a very long tradition spanning from the first time I played Pokemon for good reason.

Its evolutions are my new Pokemon obsession and basically my favorite ones ever. I LOVE Braixen and loved it the first time I laid eyes on its elegant feminine design.

It single-handedly made me decide to change my fursona from a dog (which has been like that for... over 10 years now) to a fox because of how much I just felt it resonate with me. It has everything I like in it: fire, red, canines, and magical witchery. It's even two of my favorite types when it's a Delphox; Fire and Psychic. Those were the types of my fakemon version of myself. When I looked at it, I knew it was so me. Even though I like fire, I like red, and all other aspects that it incoperates, it's designed in JUST the right way that it looks so... me. It has aspects of something I would design, and yet wouldn't at the same time, but these combine together to make me absolutely adore it. The execution of this creature is near flawless. At first, I wasn't sure what to make of the stick in its tail, but I grew to love the idea. A Fire-type witch (later Psychic) with a blazing wand which simultaneously makes its tail look like a witch's broom? How ingenious and creative is this design?

Don't get me wrong! I still love Delphox. Which one I like better depends on my mood and how it's designed, really. Most of the time, I prefer Braixen. (Mostly due to not being the biggest fan of Delphox's 3D model) But the fact that Delphox is dressed in its own red fur robes and has more red in its color scheme is definitely more appealing. Overall, I love them both and love aspects of the two.

My Delphox from my first playthrough is currently named Aureleska, but I'll be restarting with yet another Fennekin chosen very shortly today and that one will be called Arkra. I can't wait to see it turn into a beautiful Braixen. Just can't get enough of these foxes.

I think Kalos' starters are the best ones yet other than Johto. They are the only ones where I like all three; rather than just liking two of them and disliking one. (Or in the case of Sinnoh: not liking any of them.) Their design concepts are interesting to me, as I like the idea of a mage, rogue, and knight adventuring with you. Of course, I always pick the mage, but thinking about how other peoples' choices reflects their playstyle is interesting to me.

Sorry, I have Fennegasms/Kalosgasms sometimes. ^^;

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I chose fennekin, and I regret getting him. I should have chosen froakie. A male fox with a wand and dress? I know it's a robe or whatever, but it still looks feminine and not like a pokemon. Froakies line was awesome. Chespins was ok, I didn't like the designs much.

Years
  • In both playthroughs of Y, I went with Fennekin; in both playthroughs of X, I went with Froakie, but only used it in my first playthrough. Although I love Fennekin's design and Delphox's typing, I was disappointed in its movepool. If only it got Focus Miss or something, orz I also don't really like its Hidden Ability. Froakie, on the other hand, has an awesome final evo. in terms of typing + movepool, and its HA is awesome. I'll probably try Chespin at some point, but only because I haven't used it yet.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is one of the few games I would bring myself to pick the grass starter in. Initially, everybody seemed to adore Chespin and I shook my head and decided to like Froakie more. I was strengthened by seeing Froakie in the anime; it was so adorably brave!

But I've been starting to like Chespin and Chesnaught more and more, much for their cool design but also their typing. I always fancied fighting types in the games, which is why I'm more tolerant to all the fire/fighting starters than most seem to be. They were useful (plus, I like fire pokémon in general).

Froakie and all its evolutions are still the best looking starter from this gen, but somehow I've grown more fond of Chespin and Chesnaught. Quilladin is a bit like Emboar though, it can go curl up in a corner somewhere xD Sorry. It just doesn't appeal to me at all, while Frogadier and Braixen look amazing.

As for Fennekin, I mostly just look at it as a more cartoony mix of Eevee, Vulpix and Zorua and don't really find it cute even. Braixen is the best part of that evo line, while Delphox was a kind of disappointment for me. It just looks like a wizard with a skirt or mantle, and its ear thingys... Fluffyness coming out... Never quite understood that, haha.

So I'd pick Chespin and long for the day it becomes a Chesnaught :3

Starters, starters

Years
  • Chespin to Chesnaught, Brake-Zen (?) only, not Frogadier.

I like Quilladin as well as it can do a decent Eviolite in-game. Reminds me of Russel or whoever the Boy Scout from that animated *UP* movie.

I agree 100% that Delphox sucks. Psychic typing kills it. Needs a way to change its typing with those Hoenn-2.0's. 4mss.
    RATN > LOL @ releasing air through nose, Delphox...

This is one of the few games I would bring myself to pick the grass starter in. Initially, everybody seemed to adore Chespin and I shook my head...

Braixen is the best part of that evo line, while Delphox was a kind of disappointment for me. It just looks like a wizard with a skirt or mantle, and its ear thingys... Fluffyness coming out... Never quite understood that, haha.

So I'd pick Chespin and long for the day it becomes a Chesnaught :3

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I was literally undecided up until the day that Quilladin, Braixen, and Frogadier were revealed. After that revelation, the Internet was flooded with the (since confirmed) theory that the starter trio are based on the fighter-mage-thief motif of other popular RPG's. At the moment that connection was made in my mind, I knew I would be choosing the thief-inspired Froakie line as rogues and assassins are my all-time favorite RPG archetype, as evidenced by my current avatar/signature combo. When Greninja was revealed to be based not just on any assassin, but a ninja assassin, I was instantly sold.

Even though Chesnaught does fit my Pokémon playstyle a lot more, I have made it up by grabbing a bunch off of the GTS and training them as well. XD

Back