• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Starters"

Years
  • I wonder if anyone ever tried to skip the evolution chamber and just try something different... Like an legendary trio or something cool like that? Or maybe even a Dratini to start with because Dragonite is one of the most awesome pokemon in the game IMO.

I was thinking maybe a legendary trio of Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi. The three that are usually hard to find in any game... It'd make the game pretty interesting

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I think a good starter Pokemon should not totally suck in battle. That's pretty much my only criterion. Does it suck in battle? { } Y { } N

Many hacks trying to avoid the usual starters fail this. They'll give you something like Oddish or Marill, and it'll take hours just to get to level 5. :C

If the player isn't given a choice with the starter, it's even more important to make it a decent Pokemon. I wouldn't enjoy being given a Cubone, especially if it isn't holding a Thick Club - it's stats are quite poor.

tbh, everything not a starter sucks with level-up moves and early-game. After playing through a Random Pokemon Challenge on Emerald and trading over an Eevee, I had to use Quick Attack as my best attack for something like 30 levels until Bite became superior with Umbreon's Dark STAB.

AND IT WAS SO FREAKIN' IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT THE ROCK GYM WITH JUST TAIL WHIP + TACKLE. ASDFGHJKL.

My point is now that, unless you tweak stats and moves to make a Pokemon starter-worthy, don't use it. There are 9 Pokemon in Advance designed solely for the purpose of being given as starters, and they have very decent stats and arguably the best level-up movepool in the game.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Why even have a triangle...? It's usually just you and your rival so two pokemon is enough, cause in triangle one pokemon gets tossed away.
    Secondly the pokemon shouldn't be in a type advantage -> therefore both should be the same type, and aproximately the same stats.
    It really depends on the hack... if a hack's story is based on a mistery of some sort then dark or psychic pokemon should do, but if it's some kind of forgoten world or nature care then grass or water are logical... In my opinion starters should be more related to the story of the hack then the legendary pokemon... after all it is the FIRST pokemon you get, your first "friend" and ally and that should mean something!

Years
  • Or Pikachu and Eevee :). I suggest possibly getting a starter who is weak against the first gym so you have a big challenge

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    i love pokemon that come from the johto dex so i would end up putting lugia hooh and raikou as my starters, but before id choose those starters their obviuosly would be some sort of story rather than just getting my pokemon and fighting through gyms. legendaries can be starters too u just need to know how to use them for starters, not just getting them from some dumb professor which is kinda old and boring;)

Years
  • i love pokemon that come from the johto dex so i would end up putting lugia hooh and raikou as my starters, but before id choose those starters their obviuosly would be some sort of story rather than just getting my pokemon and fighting through gyms. legendaries can be starters too u just need to know how to use them for starters, not just getting them from some dumb professor which is kinda old and boring;)

Interesting... first you have Raikou which is Ho-oh's offspring so that is kind of weird. And second you basically have Raikou who neither has a strength against, but both are weak against because both are flying and he is lightning.

I think a Lugia, Ho-oh, and Celebi might be better if you can change Lugia from a Psychic type to a water type. Then you have the trio and they are legendary... You have

Lugia = Water/Flying
    Ho-oh = Fire/Flying
    Celebi = Psychic/Leaf

So you have the Water-Fire-Leaf combo... and each pokemon is also super effective against the other with the flying and psychic matching up

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Imo, having the original starter from any of the generations is really tacky :/
    Half the game of Pokemon is the story, the other half is actually getting Pokemon, training them, loving them~
    And that's why you should spend a lot of time making your starters perfect!! :D
    Everybody with a hack should either have a starter that fits in with the story like a key, or a perfect triangle of Pokemon.

Years
  • A starter connecting to the story is very interesting. I have never thought of something like that till I saw people do it.

I suggest all starters should have that, it isn't hard to do as you are just adding text... and it adds a lot of meaning to your game

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I normally stick with one starter for my hacks. I had lapriva, which is supposed to be a baby lapras :3, for my last hack. I try to go with something new for a starter, which also connects to the story.

lizardman974

I'm honestly just that awesome
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2013
    Personally, I think it would be cool to make the starters have zero weaknesses, like if the hack had you choose between Spiritomb and Sabeleye.

scotlineV3

I ♥ Krabby Patties (XDDDD)
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2014
    wHY DONT THEY PUT LEGENDARIES LIKE STRATERS xDDDDDDDD

But, the starters always gonna be so common in skills, because its like your 1° pokemon, if they have powerful skills, the game will be so easy to beat XDDDD

Years
  • my start trio, pokemon types were edited:

Bagon (dragon/steel)
    Larvitar (dragon/dark)
    Dratini (dragon/electric)

I made it this way because:
    - Everyone ends up lvlling one of those anywayz
    - Dragon is super effective on dragon for nice rival battles
    - They all evolve twice

Movesets were obviously edited....

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I'd say Rock/Ground/Ice but Ice is effective to both Ground and Rock. So I guess Rock/Flying/Fighting. =D

Back