• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starters

Years
  • It's actually really hard to pick favorites! But I think if I had to list them. . .
    1. Charmander
    Starters

2. Totodile
    Starters

3. Turtwig
    Starters

4. Cyndaquil
    Starters

5. Chikorita
    Starters

6. Fennekin
    Starters

7. Snivy
    Starters

8. Bulbasaur
    Starters

9. Froakie
    Starters

10. Torchic
    Starters

11. Treecko
    Starters

Chimchar
    Starters

13. Mudkip
    Starters

14. Squirtle
    Starters

15. Oshawott
    Starters

16. Chespin
    Starters

17. Tepig
    Starters

18. Piplup
    Starters

Last edited:
    Years
  • Favorite starter: Bulbasaur. The line is amazing amazing and cute. A very versatile grass Pokémon with a stunning Mega Evolution.

Least favorite: Chickorita. To me it seemed like a lame copy of Bulbasaur...and the anime didn't really help it's case with a chappy personality

Loriania

Mars Adept
    Years
  • Favourite Water (my usual type)- Squirtle (my second starter), Piplup (because penguin and I like the evolutions) and Froakie (ninja frog).
    Favourite Fire- Torchic (my first starter), Cyndaquil, and Charmander.

Who I will pick if I get Y and OR- Fennekin and Mudkip.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    These are based on basic evolution, not secondary evolution, final evolution or mega evolution.
    1. Cyndaquil
    2. Charmander
    3. Fennekin
    4. Treecko
    5. Squirtle
    6. Snivy
    7. Totodile
    8. Bulbasaur
    9. Torchic
    10. Chespin
    11. Chikorita
    12. Mudkip
    13. Piplup
    14. Froakie
    15. Chimchar
    16. Oshawott
    17. Tepig
    18. Turtwig

HexManiacKore

"No, you're not the one..."
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Squirtle is my favorite from his anime appearances. But, as far as types go in game...

Favorite Water: Froakie or Mudkip. (Its a tie.)
    Least Favorite Water: Totodile (I still like him, he is just my least favorite of the bunch. I actually love all the water starters.)

Favorite Fire: Fennekin (Based purely on design) and Chimchar (another tie)
    Least Favorite Fire: Torchic (I just don't like his designs all through his 3 evolutions. He is good for battles, but I don't like how goofy Blaziken looks)

Favorite Grass: Bulbasaur (Chikorita is a close second due to nostalgia)
    Least Favorite Grass: Turtwig

banjopop7_7

Unova’s superhero!
    Years
  • My favorite is Oshawott because he is just too cute. Here's a list of every gen.

Gen 1: Squirtle is my fav here he is a bit cuter I think, plus he is water. my least fav is Bulbasaur, tough I still like it. It's hard to choose between these three
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil, again, for cuteness. Actually I like it's evolution more. Quilava is probably one of my fav fire types. My least fav is Chikorita I never used it but it's still cute
    Gen 3: Mudkip, yes you heard I liek mudkipz. I'm beginning to think I like starters for their cuteness. Hmmm... Anyway, my least favo is Treecko, but I use it in Emerald and he very cool so that could change.
    Gen 4: Turtwig, I think you already know why. If not then read Gen 1, 2 and 3. My least is a tie between them. I like piplup in the anime but I used Chimchar and it was very strong so I don't know.
    Gen 5: Oshawottttttttttt! He is my favorite pokemon of all time so also my favorite starter. My least is Snivy, but I still like it more than Piplup and Chimchar and Chikorita and those.
    Gen 6: My favorite of the newest gen is Chespin. It's just like the others very cute and Clemont's Chespin is also very cute. My least is Fennekin but Serena's is very cute so it's like snivy(But I like Snivy still more).
    Conclusion: I like cute starters

Simon Science

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Im just going to state my 3 favorite starters of all 3 types:

Fennekin:
    Greninja steals the spotlight too mutch, and fenneking evolves into a magician, which is awsome. I pick it no matter what when i can.

Mudkip:
    Its dual typing makes it one of the best starters around. I pick it on my emrald version most of the time for strategic reasons.

Turtwig:
    Sinnoh underdog. When i had to choose between turtwig, chimchar and piplup i decided to go with Turtwig. To me astonishment i made the right choice, torterra's earth quake is extremley powerfull and helped my past most of my adventure

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As far as fire-type starters go, one of my most favorite would have to be Charmander. It's an original, so to speak, and its evolution are very impressive to me. Not only that, but its final stage, Charizard, has two mega-evolution forms, which helps giving it some sort of an upper-hand over others.

Grass-type--it's got to be Bulbasaur, due to similar reasons as above. Second favorite is Snivy; I find myself admiring design of its evolution line very often. In my opinion, they're put-together pretty nicely!

In terms of water-types, I'll have to side with Mudkip, as well as Squirtle and Piplup.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Since I can't really see myself actually making a list (I suck at ranking things in order like that) I'll just state my favorite for each type myself haha.

Water: Totodile! Admittedly this is partly because Totodile was my first ever starter. But also because I adored Ash's Totodile in the anime and I just think it's an adorable little crocodile what's not to love.

Grass: hard choice but I'll have to go with Bulbasaur! Bulbasaur is honestly, my favorite Kanto starter out of the trio and idk I've just always loved it for some reason??? Ever since Ash's Bulbasaur and then later when I picked up Blue and saw its sprite.

Fire: Cyndaquil! Oops two Johto Pokemon but honestly while I do like the other generation fire starters something about Cyndaquil is just.... it just speaks to me? I think it's because it's a little fire rodent which is a good twist from all the electric and normal rodents we have. In fact I think the other rodent that isn't those two types is Sandshrew's line off the top of my head.

Though in all honesty I pretty much love all the starters. Oshawott and Torchic I would have to say are my least too which is ironic because they're so popular but... they just don't speak as much to me? Treecko I suppose would be near the bottom of the list as well for the same reason.

BumpsnStumps

A Lonely Stump
    Years
  • My favorite Grass type would be the Chespin line. To be honest, it is underrated, as it is set aside in favor of Froakie (most people I know chose Froakie) and Chesnaught was a tank on my X team. Turtwig would come as a second, mainly due to nostalgia reasons, as Diamond was my first game and I chose him.

For Fire types, it would be Cyndaquil, lately, I've picked up Heartgold again and reset my file. I choose Cyndaquil this time, having picked Totodile the other time, I didn't get to try him out. But I love how it is the fastest starter of Gen 2, so I can outrun my rival's Feraligatr. Blaziken is cool, but I would choose Sceptile over it anytime, Infernape was also somewhat good, but I prefer Empoleon and Torterra more. I despise Emboar for being another Fire/Fighting type.

My favorite Water type starter is Mudkip. Swampert does have the highest base stat total of any starter (at a total of 535, and 635 when mega evolved. Thus making it have the highest stat total both non mega evolved and mega evolved) to be fair though, Marshtomp looks derpy.

Back