• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Staying motivated?

Years
  • Does any one have good advice on staying motivated and focused. Sometimes I feel so motivated but then after a while I get burned out. Whatever it is school working out the main thing is to try and be successful. I just hate committing to doing something and then eventually loose interest to keep going.

Years
  • All you need to do is be like a proton.

Staying motivated?

Years
  • Hmm, it works differently for everyone.

Try with music. I dont know about others but I listen to the epic music. It is an actual genre, and it is usually the music in movie trailers.
    Trailer music AKA Epic music. Search it on youtube and you'll discover an endless source of motivation.

Other than that, try picturing how good it will be when you're done with whatever you're doing or doing something nice after you're done with the stuff you have to do.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    I think if you enjoy doing something then you're motivating yourself without even realising it. It's hard to motivate yourself into doing something you don't want to do though. It's like trying to trick yourself that you actually want to do it even though you don't.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • It all pertains to my surroundings. I've found a lot of difficulty studying at home, but when I'm at the library I find that it's a lot easier for me to focus on the task at hand. If you remove yourself from a lot of outside stimuli that can otherwise distract you, then I find it really does go a long ways.

Also oddly enough, I find my posture has a key factor in my focusing. If I'm lying down and have a more casual, relaxed stance, then I find it difficult to concentrate because my mind goes adrift. However, if I'm sitting upright in a chair, I feel more inclined to tackle the task at hand.

In the end though it comes down to working out all the kinks and figuring out what works best for you.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Treat it as though it's something that you have to do, not something that you want to do it and don't look for reasons why you can't do it. Your always going to have those days where you don't feel like doing anything, you just have to suck it up and do it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm motivated to maintain my weight by the memory of being overweight.

I'm motivated to actually do the work and show up to class by the hatred of my minimum wage job.

I'm motivated to work because I remember what it was like to rely on others.

I also have to add I'm motivated to both go to school and work because I know plenty of people who have graduated before me and yet still don't have a job or go to school and I watch them slowly rot into their own thoughts at home and yeah that's scary to me.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
  • I remember myself at my worst and I envision myself at the best I could be.

To be frank, I am terrified to go back. That's a ****ing dark place. That fear is enough motivation for me.

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    You could summon your drive {motivation} by reminding yourself that you do not want to be in last place {bottom level wage} but to be on top of everyone you can at first place {Not highest, but very reasonable wage}

I tend to just think: "Im going to make the most out of myself weather I like it or not."

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    There's really no trick to being motivated. If you're passionate enough about something, you'll be motivated enough to keep trying.

Doing homework is always a drag and the only motivation is getting a good grade. If that isn't so important, then the motivation begins to lack.

However if you want to become the best engineer in the world and you're dead set on that goal, you'll be motivated enough to breeze through all of your physics and calculus assignments.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • You hafta set goals for yourself. For me anyway, having no goals and doing the same thing everyday drives me insane

A simple goal could be: Don't mess up

Or, going for a promotion

Also, you hafta learn how to enjoy what you're doing, or at least find something good in a given situation

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Try to split a big goal into multiple little goals. If you happen to run out of motivation after completing one of these little goals, try something different that ups your motivation again, so you can tackle another one of those little goals (e.g. as a hobby game developer you could switch between writing a script, create a couple of graphics, map an overworld, etc., just to get a little bit more variation). Rinse and repeat.

Also, if you're doing something on your PC: never, and I mean NEVER, watch a video on the same time, because that way you'll never finish what you intended to do.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm having a hard time at work at the moment because I'm not a managerial type of person and I've been thrust into a managerial position. I don't have the energy for it, and it's turning me from somebody who doesn't worry about anything into a person just full to the brim with anxiety from the pressure. But I have this thing where when I think I don't have the energy or the patience to deal with something I stop the train of thought and just say "Do it anyway."

Works every time.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Eh? Motivation? What's that?

I feel more motivated to do my assignments when I'm in the comforts of my parent's house, because it feels nice to have a lot of people around you. My relatives are here in my current living location, but it's still not enough for me since they're far older than me. Having siblings around to fool around during an assignment is the best.

Also, I prefer to sit upright than laying on bed when I'm doing something. It makes me feel more awake. Too bad I'm such a pig that my desk starts to look like a pig sty.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I dunno, I'm probably not the best person for advice. I don't have much motivation either: truly all I am motivated to do is play games and use the internet. I don't have a gigantic list of responsibilities but every day I feel the loom of moving the hell out of my parent's basement. I have a dead-end job atm which pays some bills and allows me to save up some money, but I've just graduated film school and I need to start freelancing as a video and audio editor.

I think the motivation might be there, hidden underneath my stronger motivation to put off the work or not sign up to do it at all. Like i said, I am more motivated to play games and browse the web, but that's probably just because I know how to do that, I know it's fun immediately and there's not a lot of responsibility involved. Maybe the motivation for stuff that actually helps me progress in life is there, behind my motivation to procrastinate. The idea I'm trying to convey here is to simply take the first step. I've found that by taking the first step, getting ball rolling as it were, it becomes much easier to keep walking the path and motivation finds me, as opposed to having to search for it.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I am motivated, but I lose it quickly. The idea is to remember what the goal is and to force yourself to do it. I have been running outside lately and often want to give up. If I focus and remember what my end-game is, I can push through my doubts and feelings of giving up to finish my run.

If that doesn't work, I think of the three people that have wronged me in my life most. I think of them succeeding while I fail at the same task. So if I'm running, I imagine them running better or tell myself that they are laughing at me and are beating me. That usually works to get me through a goal. Same when I'm in the gym. If I can't lift the 95 lb. dumbbells or feel weak, I think of them and tell myself that they can do these easily. Then I push and grind to get to where I feel they would be.

I suppose that's not the healthiest of things to do, but it works for me and it reminds me that someday I will run into them again and they won't even matter anymore.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Just the thought of what will most likely happen if I finish the task motivates me to do it. I even reward myself for not being a lazy piece of ****.

Years
  • Honestly I'm the last person who should respond to a thread about motivation advice.
    I'm not a particularly motivated person, the only thing that keeps me going through a lot of things is the drive to better than everyone else, or the end goal.

Since you probably can't make yourself into an overly competitive nut job like me, I'd recommend just keeping your eyes forward on some ultimate goal no matter how big or small. I do my assignments because I love teaching and want to be a teacher, you do whatever you do because you want something. That kind of a thing.

Back