• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stereotyped Pokemon

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    We have had Stereotyped Pokemon in the past, and it seems like we are getting another one.

If you don't know already I am American and as soon as I saw Wooguru I was happy and kinda weirded out at the same time. Its an honor for Japan to make a American pokemon but at the same time its kinda awkward.

Wooguru is a Red, White, and Blue bald eagle with a Native American Headdress on his head. If that doesn't scream "AMERICA!!!" I don't know what does.

Stereotyped Pokemon

1 - Symbol of America is the Bald Eagle
    2 - Native Americans used to own most of the land of America before it was taken from them
    3 - Red, White, and Blue are the national colors of America.
    4 - Wooguru is a combination of the Japanese words for War and Eagle, and America is known for being one of the strongest countries militarily.

I do not really see a problem with this stereotype like I have with previous stereotypes Nintendo has thrown at us.

Lt. Surge was the LIGHTNING AMERICAN. He was a war veteran and seemed to be War Crazed.

Ludicolo seems to be a Hispanic Stereotype. He has a Sombrero for a head and dances constantly.

Do you guys hope we have more stereotypes? I am okay with them as long as they aren't offensive. The LT. SURGE thing was sort of offensive, as was Ludicolo, but I don't see anything wrong with Wooguru. I could say that his Encourage ability might poke fun at how America has a lot of raw power but doesn't cause anything extra than destruction to happen. (Encourage gives all moves extra power but removes their chances of flinching, burning etc.,)

What do you guys think?

DISCUSS!

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    What about the original Jynx? She was a stereotypical black woman at first. Big red lips weave long red dress etc.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Wooguru will scream America, don't worry about that.
    I don't see anything wrong with this and the other stereotypes you refered. The only negative stereotype Pokémon have is Mr Mime and most of the people don't even notice it, so it didn't become a problem after all. Of course I'll not explain it here because it's totaly innapropriate. Well, I don't really mind to see a red and green Pokémon with a big moustache after all.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    What about the original Jynx? She was a stereotypical black woman at first. Big red lips weave long red dress etc.

No she wasn't. It is sort of racist to think that people dress differently because of their race.

What Jynx is based on is a controversial topic within the fandom, although common interpretations are a Nordic woman (possibly Hel, goddess of the underworld), or ガン黒 ganguro, face-black. Also, the fact that Jynx are depicted as Santa's helpers in the anime can be a proof that Jynx is based on Zwarte Piet. Jynx also has the traits of a female opera singer, especially the iconic cartoon depiction of the fat lady. It should also be noted that the third generation sprites depict it singing, especially the Emerald sprite that animates it signing a high note.
    Jynx may also have origins in the Japanese spirits known as Yuki Onna (who has no feet like Jynx) or Yama Uba, the latter of which is described as always wearing a tattered red kimono and having whitish-blonde hair (all traits shared by Jynx).

Last edited:

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't see anything wrong with this and the other stereotypes you refered. The only negative stereotype Pokémon have is Mr Mime and most of the people don't even notice it, so it didn't become a problem after all. Of course I'll not explain it here because it's totaly innapropriate. Well, I don't really mind to see a red and green Pokémon with a big moustache after all.

what stereotype is mr. mime based on?

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years

what stereotype is mr. mime based on?

He is referring to the conspiracy that Mr Mime is based on all white people. That is entirely false.

Mr Mime is is clearly based on a mime. The clown hair, the way it performs its attacks like a mime, the pointy shoes, the rosy cheeks, the fact that it was in a circus in the anime before becoming Hanako's errand boy, etc...all give away its origin.

So the whole "Mr. Mime is based on white people" argument would only work if Caucasians were stereotyped as being mimes. Last time I checked, they weren't.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Well, if you the original Jynx as a black women and Mr Mime, who also only have a pre evo and no evolution, as pair with Jynx, you'll have the black/white person stereotype. But it isn't this that I'm referring to my other post, that I'll not explain here, I'll send pm's if you want.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I think stereotype is a word a little bit too strong for what we have here. Sure you can say that the eagle is based on American motives, but that's as far as you can go. Any further is honestly an exaggeration.
    So if it happens to learn Bounce, is it going to be about America's recession?
    If it learns Drill Peck, is it going to be "hiddenly related" to illegal oil drilling?
    If it learns Covet/Knock off/Thief... don't wanna go there :p

It's a fun debate but let's just hope it doesn't get blown out of proportion by some groups, because then we'll have another Jynx here, and the color scheme will be unnecessarily changed.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    Annnddddd Pokemon's are animal stereotyped.
    Wooguru was going to be awesome, don't destroy it's image with all that.

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Annnddddd Pokemon's are animal stereotyped.
    Wooguru was going to be awesome, don't destroy it's image with all that.

Yeah I don't see how the bird is even stereotyped. So it screams AMERICA but that doesn't make it a stereotype. Its probably just a Pokemon made to symbolize a certain country. But I don't think this bird is stereotyped I mean what is it saying? All Americans go around with a Native American Headress on?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    I don't think woogaru was meant to be a stereotypical image. It looks like that because for a long time,the Japanese were fasinated with western culture,such as americans from the US.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    I think you're looking into it a little too much... can't you just see it for what it is without creating connotations? It's not like American (though not exclusively) artists have never poked fun at Japan or the asian community before.

Sure some people found Jynx offensive, PC idiots. Ludicolo is the same, what is there to find offensive? Taking something recognized world-wide for being associated with the Mexican nation: Sombreros and then picking out something else completely at random, associated with hispanic cultures: Dancing. Thrown in a poncho and presto, Ludicolo.

If they released a Pokémon that walked around in a pork pie hat with a walking stick and a bone china tea cup on his little finger, I wouldn't be offended. If it's call sounded like "crumpets!" I wouldn't really mind (except that this is a terrible idea for a Pokémon). Yes some people are going to be offended, but what by? It's satire, we see far worse on South Park and Family Guy, other shows of that ilk, now it's used in an innocent context and there's objections?

Far as I can tell, I don't look at Wooguru and see a war hungry bald eagle, ready to snatch some land. I see a Pokémon that looks pretty sweet. And a lot of nations used Red, White and Blue in their flags (and have been doing so for hundreds of years). It's just as much America's national colours as they are Frances' or Russias'.

Years
    You know... there is a difference between using a stereotype and being racist. Ludicolo was based off of pinatas and mariachi singers. Wooguru is an eagle in the Native American style (which, by the way, is wildly popular among certain subcultures in Japan right now). I understand the Jynx thing, but to the Japanese people who created her, it was probably more of an homage to black-face comedy than it was a racist thing. Especially since she is paired with Mr.Mime, who represents "white-face" comedy.

I see nothing wrong with Wooguru, and hope that people don't blow it out of proportion.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    You know... there is a difference between using a stereotype and being racist. Ludicolo was based off of pinatas and mariachi singers. Wooguru is an eagle in the Native American style (which, by the way, is wildly popular among certain subcultures in Japan right now). I understand the Jynx thing, but to the Japanese people who created her, it was probably more of an homage to black-face comedy than it was a racist thing. Especially since she is paired with Mr.Mime, who represents "white-face" comedy.

I see nothing wrong with Wooguru, and hope that people don't blow it out of proportion.

Im not saying anything is wrong with Wooguru. I actually like him.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    Stereotype = assumptions of traits made about a group of people that share a common origin.
    Wooguru, is not a stereotype. Yes, he's very American, and I for one think it's great that the "American Pokemon" is this cool. I mean, he's probably my favorite flying type. Perhaps he's the final evolution of Mamepato, which would make me change my whole beleifs about flying types. (I've always seen them as an obligation rather than a good edition to the team)

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Game Freak and Nintendo feed off of Stereotypes for inspiration for their characters / creatures. It's what gives a realism to the gaming world, allowing you to be sucked in and be familiarized with the world around you, making it more comfortable, and wanting to play more.

I like Wooguru; I'm Canadian, but the symbol of him from America makes me feel more comfortable with the game, seeing as I like America, and Isshu is closely represented by America.

All in all, it's a good Pokemon to have now.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Game Freak and Nintendo feed off of Stereotypes for inspiration for their characters / creatures. It's what gives a realism to the gaming world, allowing you to be sucked in and be familiarized with the world around you, making it more comfortable, and wanting to play more.

I like Wooguru; I'm Canadian, but the symbol of him from America makes me feel more comfortable with the game, seeing as I like America, and Isshu is closely represented by America.

All in all, it's a good Pokemon to have now.

Wouldn't it be cool if Isshu was America and it was connected to a region above it that was based off of Canada?

Back