• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stereotypical gay voice

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I have a friend who is by no means your stereotypical gay guy. Sometimes (which is rarely) his voice sounds more "gay" than usual. I think it's all just part of socialization with the people you hang out with. It's like how some women learn to speak with a vocal fry. Maybe it'll disappear a decade or two from now.
    What is a vocal fry, if you don't mind me asking?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    It really depends on the person. There is no actual "gay" voice, though we all know the sterotype you are referring to. I am a man who likes men(not gay), and I can't make that voice for the life of me. I also know straight people who have the exact voice in reference. I also know gay individuals who purposely alter their voice for added emphasis. I also know trans individuals who voices have changed something akin to this due to the hormone replacement therapy that they have undergone.

In the case of your voice naturally being like this, I don't think being gay is any sort of factor. You either have a voice like this naturally or you don't. If you happen to be gay and have a voice like this it's nothing more coincidence. Frankly, I don't see why a gay person would choose to have a voice like this--for many of them, they aren't open about their sexuality, so why would they willingly possess such an "indicator" so that people may poke fun of and ridicule them? I mean, if they'll call someone who is shown to be straight beyond a reasonable doubt(wife, kids, girlfriends etc) gay because of their voice and poke fun of them for that why would someone who is actually gay but not open bring that upon themselves?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    It's not an affectation. Nobody would put that on.

There are guys that come out in high school simply because they have no other option - they couldnt hide it if they wanted to.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    In BE they call it mincing.

anyway not all homssexuals do it. Interesting tidbit transgender mtf have to raise their pitch on purpose, whereas ftm transgender people can get a lower voice through testerone and androgen supplement.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    I had a few gay friends in college with manlier voices than anyone I'ver ever heard. I'm pretty sure it's totally person-to-person.

Back