• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

StereoTyping

DrawnVigilance

7861 Blackthorne
    Years
    Does anyone else here get sick of people labeling by what they do, such as someone calling them a nerd for playing a certain game or calling them emo cause they listen to certain music?

it annoys me like non other, not making a rant post, just a place where you can post your opinions on this topic

IDIE

I am ready to pimp!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Sc
    • Seen Jun 23, 2009
    I want people at college to know I like Yu-Gi-Oh, but I don't have a giant problem with it either. I don't like singling people out.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I go to an extremely diverse school, so it's no surprise to me when I hear a racial stereotype. I've come to grown used to it, and even laugh a couple of times. As long as you know it isn't true, there's no reason to get upset.

IDIE

I am ready to pimp!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Sc
    • Seen Jun 23, 2009
    It doesn't matter if you know it isn't true. Though other's show there pain by laughing, im pretty sure they don't feel like that in the inside.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well, we cant deny that some people absolutely do fit into stereotypes. I mean people like myself enjoy to do every thing. Im a gay guy who earlier today beat all the strait guys at in a class in Halo and I like to party and do other things with my body. I am not flamboyant and I hang with several different crowds. I listen to all kinds of people, eat all kinds of food(accept Indian) and find beauty in most cultures. If you dont want to be called a stereotype then dont be one. This is just how I feel about it.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    Sterotypes are probably going to be with us forever, whether we like it or not. Just don't worry about it, and if it does start to bother you just tell someone to stop, and they usually will, especially if it is something inappropriate like a racial stereotype. Stereotypes like "OMG you like Pokemon you're such a nerd," should just be laughed off and ignored. If people continue to harass you about it then just don't hang around them any more and be the bigger person.

DrawnVigilance

7861 Blackthorne
    Years
    im not specifically talking about myself
    well i have been called emo due to the music i listen to but im mainly talking about how people classify other people before getting to know them
    just stuff like that
    i try not to let it bother me and most my friends know not to do it in front of me so they usually dont

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Stereotyping happens to everyone in my school all the time. You either laugh at it and continue on or put on that uncool face that shows that you took everything seriously.

I just break out laughing. Either it's just ridiculous at what they're saying or it's just plain funny.

Repo Man

Legal Assassin
    Years
    Stereotypes suck, but the thing is, a lot of the time, they are surprisingly true. I've learned to laugh at them. I'm a fat guy who most people write off as a lazy slob who will die at 45, and that's fine if they want to believe that. I probably eat way healthier than them anyhow.

Besides, it's hilariously fun to surprise people when you do something unexpected of your stereotype. :D

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Ooh, i hate stereotypes so much! It happens everywhere! You can't label someone you don't know. It's like judging a book by its cover.. i wish it would stop, all this stereotyping stuff in this world :O.

Patchy

-
    Years
    I'm sick of stereotypes. Every day in school I'm stereotyped. People who don't know me won't talk to me because I'm "a big nerd :B". I'm also called emo, but I don't really care anymore, since I sort of am I guess. <_<

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I just try to ignore them, really. Just carry on with my life, and just shut off the people who insult or stereotype me :P.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    I hate sterotyping, particularly when it's people who should know better that do it. I got told once by a teacher that I was 'emo-moody' when actually I was depressed, and stuff like that really gets to me. I try not to sterotype people and would rather get to know the person, though sometimes I will sterotype friends in a joking way.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I don't know why, but people always like to assume students in the first class are the smartest of their kind in the school. Ever heard of hard work?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    This, among racism and sexism and things along those lines, annoys me to no limit.

I mean, who cares if someone has darker skin than someone else? It doesn't make them any different from us now, does it? That's like saying a red car is better than a blue car, but it's not. It's exactly the same, just the colour's different.

Stereotyping is incredibly annoying, especially against Asians for having lankier eyes than other races of people.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Who the **** is Shaft? I walk down the road,someone screams 'shaft, shaft!' I look down and my **** is hanging out.
    Oh yes some stereotypes I can live with.

I try not let it get to me. There is one stereotyping done to me that I don't particularly enjoy. That's usually after someone finds out about my dirty little secret. It's not actually a secret once you kinda sit around with me though. Not racism, since I don't get subjected to that any more.

Droknor

Seasoned Trainer
    Years
    Of course everyone hates to be stereotyped. The world would be better with out stereotyping, but that's the way the world is. Everyone if not most people deal with it regardless of age, sex, race, or religion. The best thing to do is just forget the ignorance of others and and just ignore them.

Back