• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
  • Source
    Yahoo Finance said:
    CUPERTINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Apple's Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer, as the company's new CEO. Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company," said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board. "Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

"The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," added Levinson. "Tim's 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does."

Jobs submitted his resignation to the Board today and strongly recommended that the Board implement its succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO.

As COO, Cook was previously responsible for all of the company's worldwide sales and operations, including end-to-end management of Apple's supply chain, sales activities, and service and support in all markets and countries. He also headed Apple's Macintosh division and played a key role in the continued development of strategic reseller and supplier relationships, ensuring flexibility in response to an increasingly demanding marketplace.

This took me by surprise since Jobs (like him or not) was pretty much the one who was responsible for Apple's success. At least he will still be contributing ideas as Chairman of the Board though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Wow! I thought he would be there until he died! This is amazing, he seemed to have such passion for the company. They should have named Steve Wozniak CEO though, I do like the Woz.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    This was such a mood killer, as if the woman living behind me screaming at the children playing ball wasn't enough to kill my mood. Such a disappointment to me as an Apple enthusiast/fanboy/Mactard. I can't say it comes as a complete shock. His health has been rapidly deteriorating over the past year. It's very unfortunate to see him go, and I hope that Apple continues to flourish in its developments and innovations. Very pleased to see him instated as Chairman of the Board, however. I'm sure this was a very hard decision he had to make, and I wish his health the best of luck as it is much more important.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • About time. They've been selling overpriced trendy crap to people who can't afford it for long enough. Can't wait until their stock plummets tomorrow. Wonder if they'll stagnate like post-Gates Microsoft or if the fad will just pass and they'll die a more sudden death? I'll be happy in either outcome; they've bankrupted enough people.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • Wow, didn't see that coming. I wonder why he chose to resign.
    Probably due to health issues, but I don't think he confirmed that.

About time. They've been selling overpriced trendy crap to people who can't afford it for long enough. Can't wait until their stock plummets tomorrow. Wonder if they'll stagnate like post-Gates Microsoft or if the fad will just pass and they'll die a more sudden death? I'll be happy in either outcome; they've bankrupted enough people.
    It's their fault for buying it :P
    As an Apple fan since before iPods even existed, I am actually pretty bummed by this news and hope Apple continues to make great products but hopefully stops with the gimmicky crap like the touchscreen Nanos and the zero button Shuffles.

Aorio

this love will see me through.
    Years
  • About time. They've been selling overpriced trendy crap to people who can't afford it for long enough. Can't wait until their stock plummets tomorrow. Wonder if they'll stagnate like post-Gates Microsoft or if the fad will just pass and they'll die a more sudden death? I'll be happy in either outcome; they've bankrupted enough people.
    ^ This.
    I really dislike Apple, and I wish Steve Jobs the best with his health, but I'm looking forward to the company plummeting.

Zet

Years
  • Finally I will have the money to buy cheap affordable crap. Though I don't know why Apple just doesn't use that $70billion to do something about Job's health.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    About time. They've been selling overpriced trendy crap to people who can't afford it for long enough. Can't wait until their stock plummets tomorrow. Wonder if they'll stagnate like post-Gates Microsoft or if the fad will just pass and they'll die a more sudden death? I'll be happy in either outcome; they've bankrupted enough people.

They wouldn't be so popular if there wasn't a market for their products; admittedly, their crafty marketing is one of the reasons they're so popular, but that's the point of advertising.

Years
  • I'm not surprised Steve Jobs resigned. He has been battling a rare form of pacreotic cancer for a few years. It was a good idea for him to resign and hand the reigns to another dude who followed in his footsteps in order to take care of himself. Your health has to take priority or you won't be able to perform 100%.

As for Apple, I think the iPod and iPad are too expensive for me. Sure, they are popular, but I can get a PSP 3000 and a 16 GB memory stick for my music files and still have plenty of money for a few games for the price of the latest iPod. As for the iPad, I could get a decent laptop for the price of the iPad 2. That's why I have never bought an Apple product.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • This news is surprise to me, since I haven't been following him or anything. But since he did/does have 8 bil, I would also think about quitting my job too if I had that much money (if I had a chance).

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Yeah, I saw this one the news the other day. It is sad for Apple because Jobs did a lot for them and I hope he gets better.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Yeah I knew he resigned. His health is more important. Glad he is still with the company though. He can still give everyone ideas and the company will still go strong. I own a iPod Touch and a iPad(given as a gift), and they are pretty good. But unfortunately those are the only devices I am sticking with. The others are too overpriced. Like their laptops and computers. Apple isn't going anywhere. They will keep on doing of what they are doing. I wish Steve Jobs well and I hope he will get better soon.

Last edited:

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Anyone know who cancelled the white macbook line?

Not sure what role Jobs played in the current Apple line-up, but I suppose he has enough money to do whatever.

Back