• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Still Pokémon at heart?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Still Pokémon at heart?

For those of you who have already started playing the games, do you still feel like you're playing a Pokémon game or does it feel like a completely different game to you? (Note; don't bring in how the Pokémon themselves don't look like they're meant to). If so, what features do you think make these games so unique? Or maybe they went too far in trying to reinvent themselves? Share your thoughts. :)

Last edited:

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    In terms of gameplay, yah, it's still PKMN to me, just upgraded and mixed with new interesting stuff.
    In terms of the PKMN themselves in this region, no.
    Some are okay and still have the PKMN feel in them, but mostly others are like.., robots(?) or anything that I can't explain thoroughly, but they are really no longer PKMN looking... =/

The Red Chain

To be honest, at first it doesn't feel anything like Pokemon. Having both of your rivals pop up right away, one already in your house, and getting your starter right away without some kind of sequence with the professor first.. it makes it feel less like Pokemon. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't realize that the professor was the one that walked in your house and left the present. She signs her name yeah, but for the most part you don't actually interact with her like you had to with the other professors to obtain your Pokemon.

The lack of past generation Pokemon, and the constant movement of the camera and Pokemon in battle makes it feel less like Pokemon as well ; since I grew up with the sprites being motionless for the most part for 13+ years. The fashion of the girl character also feels.. more teenage like, and not much like Pokemon. The guy still retains that feel, but just a tad less than in the past generations. The general graphics and feel of the cities are also less Pokemon-ish. Especially the "environmental interactions" : Grass patch moves, you run into it, rare Pokemon. The gym leaders are definitely beyond usual as well. Three in the first gym, and the eighth gym leader depending on your version.

Though will all the unfamiliar changes everywhere, I don't think they tried too hard at all. I just think they made Pokemon much more fun to play, and fresh. :3 It's definitely wonderful to have all of these changes, and it will surely grow on me and feel like Pokemon again after time goes on~

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I don't see why it's not Pokemon anymore; A new region, def. need new Pokemon, and to make it different, we need vast differences.

I am loving a whole lots of the Pokemon already, even the ones I used to dislike when I first saw them, you just need them to grow on you, with time.

solspear

PKMN Trainer Kame
    Years
    Oh my god, don't u people get it?
    People were tired of playing the same formula throughout the whole series..
    Thats why the people at the ROM hacking section always strive for something new and refreshing, thats what B&W is.

And the pokemon DO look like pokemon, because they are effin pokemon.
    this isn't digimon B&W xD And just try to design 100-ish beings while sticking to the original looks of pokemon... Yeah, pretty much impossible.

This is the best pokemon game. straight up. B&W and R&B are the best pokemon games nintendo has made. in terms of originality, gameplay (R&B was revolutionary at that time, don't forget)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    At first glance they looked terrible, and I couldn't see how the anime was going to make this work (usually the anime solidifies a Pokemon for me) so I was like, no. But then I realized that this is the reaction I have had when first being introduced to both Hoenn and Sinnoh, and after just a few hours and especially after seeing their sprites I fell in love with them. I now see what they were going for. I have my favorites and there are very few that I don't like at this point.

Years
    The gameplay is really amazing, Even though the Pokemon are new, we still are in the same Pokemon world. Be the Graphics or the new Systems or even the New Overworld, Nintendo did a great job in making the games. Even tho we don't tend to accept all the new Pokemon, the gameplay is simply Amazing.

If There were to be another Pokemon Game with the same New Engine, I'd Love to see a Remake of the Hoenn Region or even something like a remake having all the 1~5 Gen's together.

But in short, this game is Amazing. It has convinced me to Buy a DS just for the Pure Eye-candy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    @ the two posts before this, as well as everyone else: Please discuss the games, as opposed to the individual Pokemon not looking like old ones.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It feels like a completely new take on Pokémon, it feels like what Pokémon Red & Blue felt like being that there are so many new Pokemon/Features plus the graphics but I still love the game.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    It feels like a completely new take on Pokémon, it feels like what Pokémon Red & Blue felt like being that there are so many new Pokemon/Features plus the graphics but I still love the game.

thats because pokemon blue/red were original,
    there were no other games like pokemon :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I think it's safe to say that this is certainly a new feel to the Pokemon franchise, but at the same time, it reminds me so much of Ruby/Sapphire maybe because when I reached the age of Four, I was playing Gold, except Two years later, I was also smarter with Pokemon games, which means I would be able to Play Generation Three at an easy age, 6.

Of course, Now that I am 13 and the Game I am currently playing is Pokemon Black, and it's almost like that new Ruby/Sapphire adventure feel, and I love it, i followed along with the Updates on the game, so you could Say I was Spoiled out and would know everything, but when I start to play it, it feels like a brand new game, that I haven't even heard about, just like back when I was 6.

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
    I can just feel and tell that this is not the Pokémon we had in the generations, they've never been serious nor too extraordinary.
    Have you seen the games' opening? It's kinda too suspicious, serious, and what can we say?
    And Pokémon is mostly for the kids' entertainment, not serious ones.
    (^It's true, don't get mad on me.)

I think I went too serious! and why am I talking about seriousness?

And about the games? Yeah, nice features. But, where is the old concept of Pokémon? Like in the old times, the professor would bug you when going away from the town...or like that.

Yes, I feel little Pokémon in my heart in these games...

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
    It feels exaclty the same as the other games, it still has that spark :D
    But the improvement are adding to the fun, so its still a pokemon game but better then before. Except we need more pokemon available >< cant w8 for next gen when the add some more to these like gsc has added to rbgy.

solspear

PKMN Trainer Kame
    Years
    I can just feel and tell that this is not the Pokémon we had in the generations, they've never been serious nor too extraordinary.
    Have you seen the games' opening? It's kinda too suspicious, serious, and what can we say?
    And Pokémon is mostly for the kids' entertainment, not serious ones.
    (^It's true, don't get mad on me.)

I think I went too serious! and why am I talking about seriousness?

And about the games? Yeah, nice features. But, where is the old concept of Pokémon? Like in the old times, the professor would bug you when going away from the town...or like that.

Yes, I feel little Pokémon in my heart in these games...

:x Pokemon game's audience on the surface are kids.. Yes, thats true.
    Put pokemon has one of the deepest battlesystems man has EVAR known xD

seriously, i think more 16-30+ year olds play the game then some 7 year olds who go "WOW ZOMG A PIDGEY LVL 18?! Whoaaaa" all the time.

7 year olds don't understand how to appreciate games, which is why nintendo had to put in stupid things like a pokewalker.

And they already repeated that same formula OVER and over again, in every pokemon game, the professor gives you your pokes, sometimes u simply take them from a professors bag while hes being attacked by a lvl 3 poochyena (yeah, really frightning, it might GROWL at you!! Omg, scareh)

That formula has been overused since ruby..
    Now its just been changed a LITTLE bit, theres still a professor (and its a female this time, ZOMG ZE SEXISM IS GONE) and u get ur pokemon as a present from your friends, 3 friends going on an adventure with their new pokemon, it sounds more believable then a pedophile telling you "its dangerous in that grass, come to my house, ill give u a new pet"

its just changed a little, and made a little bit less.. 4-chan-ish and you think this isn't pokémon at heart?
    :x pokemon is about becoming the best of the best, with your pokemon as your friends, going through happy and sad times together, grinding your pokemon to the limit and beating 4 overpowered trainers in a row to become the champion...

and while doing that, also saving the world from some suspicious team.. While you are a kid!

xD they now changed it and made it more believeable by having the main protagonists older, every change has made the game more believeable, really

Spoiler:

also, new caterpie's ftw

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    The gameplay itself felt like any other Pokemon game.

Storyline, however, felt much better than any previous game.
    I played with kanji mode, so I have no idea how hiragana/katakana only mode was like regarding text, but the things said by the characters actually sounded good, and it was nice to see how some younger characters had lines in hiragana and katakana only to reflect age.

Breaking the "traditional" Pokemon story progression was fresh too. Didn't expect the game to end that way.

Although I think Gamefreak went a bit over the top with the mildly suggestive lines.
    I thought I was playing a different game when looking at the ferris wheel event for the first time.
    This isn't Love Plus, this is Pokemon for gods sake.

[edit]
    And the Battle Subway. We have NPCs with Jojo character names.
    We also have a lass who says "this is my first time... be kind ok?", then "... ow, that hurt a bit."

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It's a mixture. I felt like a little kid again at first. I didn't know anything I was fighting and I was all sparkly-eyed, just like back with the first generations. The new Pokemon, places, battle style. It made me wanna play Red again, but I also felt like I was playing Red, if you get me. Just the freshness of starting over again. And it blew my mind to see what Pokemon has become. I honestly felt like I was playing the best game in the entire series.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    :x Pokemon game's audience on the surface are kids.. Yes, thats true.
    Put pokemon has one of the deepest battlesystems man has EVAR known xD

seriously, i think more 16-30+ year olds play the game then some 7 year olds who go "WOW ZOMG A PIDGEY LVL 18?! Whoaaaa" all the time.

7 year olds don't understand how to appreciate games, which is why nintendo had to put in stupid things like a pokewalker.

And they already repeated that same formula OVER and over again, in every pokemon game, the professor gives you your pokes, sometimes u simply take them from a professors bag while hes being attacked by a lvl 3 poochyena (yeah, really frightning, it might GROWL at you!! Omg, scareh)

That formula has been overused since ruby..
    Now its just been changed a LITTLE bit, theres still a professor (and its a female this time, ZOMG ZE SEXISM IS GONE) and u get ur pokemon as a present from your friends, 3 friends going on an adventure with their new pokemon, it sounds more believable then a pedophile telling you "its dangerous in that grass, come to my house, ill give u a new pet"

its just changed a little, and made a little bit less.. 4-chan-ish and you think this isn't pokémon at heart?
    :x pokemon is about becoming the best of the best, with your pokemon as your friends, going through happy and sad times together, grinding your pokemon to the limit and beating 4 overpowered trainers in a row to become the champion...

and while doing that, also saving the world from some suspicious team.. While you are a kid!

xD they now changed it and made it more believeable by having the main protagonists older, every change has made the game more believeable, really

Spoiler:

also, new caterpie's ftw
    while i agree with you for the most part 7 year olds can play the game fine as a matter of fact when i was 7 i could play the game trough quite easily and use walktroughs to help me when i was stuck.

solspear

PKMN Trainer Kame
    Years
    :P i didn't say 7 year olds couldn't play through the game (heck, i played through red with charizard only when i was 5, i couldn't read english and didn't know how to catch pokemon)

They just can't appreciate things like online play, or throughout strategy's.. simply because they don't like losing (at least i didn't like losing as a kid xD) or they don't like thinking through whole strategy's.. (ofcourse, there are exeptions, not stereotyping anything, haha)

Back