• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

stone evolution pokemon, evolve them now or later?

Years
  • I was wondering what you guys do with the pokemon that evolve through stones (such as Clefairy or Doublade). Do you evolve them as soon as you get them or wait until they have learned all their moves before evolving them?

For me, it's the latter. I'd feel like I'd be cheating them out of their movesets if I just evolve them then and there. Of course that means I have to level up Eelektrik all the way up to 74 but I think it's worth it in the end.

MaskedDJ

【♫Forever Alone♫】‎
    Years
  • I will let them learn move first then use stone to evolve, cause i juz felt that when you use stone to evolve it early, less skill will learn, so like, the pokemon is useless than ever, well these is in my opinion

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • I don't like to deprive them of their potential movesets, so I usually wait a while. I also generally make sure that I evolve them to match my team (meaning if I have a couple of evolved Pokémon on my team, I'm more likely to evolve another; I don't like to have things like a Vulpix and a Gastly and a Marill, and then randomly have Vulpix become a Ninetales: it just doesn't seem fair for Gastly and Marill, if that makes any sense, hahaha).

Years
  • If I'm ever using a Pokemon that evolves via an evolution stone, I always find myself putting in the extra time to get them a good moveset before I evolve them. I even find myself doing this with regular Pokemon now- making them hold an Everstone to learn moves quicker before they evolve.

And since this more about what other players are doing in the games, I'll move this discussion over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

MOVED.

MaskedDJ

【♫Forever Alone♫】‎
    Years
  • Juz to add, only eevee, if i had the stone like fire stone, water stone and other element stone, i will juz evole it whenether eevee in random level :)

Years
  • It depends on the moves I need. If something learns a good move that isn't TM accessible at a later level then I'll hold off the evolution for a while. Like, I didn't evolve my Floette into Florges until she learned Moonblast because it's her strongest STAB move.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Not much of a fan of stone-evolving Pokemon. The only one I cared about was Vulpix -> Ninetales. In my RBY/FRLG teams, I waited for Vulpix to level up to L30 because most of the good moves Ninetales can learn are after L30. And I get the Fire Stone after that as well. :D

Guest123_x1

I usually only evolve stone-evolvable Pokémon after they have learned their final good level-up move (sometimes there's a move or two learned after another really powerful move that I don't care for.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I let my stone evolution Pokemon learn certain moves before I evolved them. In X, I waited till Floette learned Moonblast and Doublade learned Sacred Sword before evolving them.

Cyanox

Self-Proclaimed Genius
    Years
  • If there's a good move that it doesn't learn until level 42 or so, then I'm waiting until level 42 to evolve it. Good moves are usually worth the wait, in my experience.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • If I'm ever using a Pokemon that evolves via an evolution stone, I always find myself putting in the extra time to get them a good moveset before I evolve them. I even find myself doing this with regular Pokemon now- making them hold an Everstone to learn moves quicker before they evolve.

I do the exact same thing as well, although in my case I use a Lucky Egg or an Exp. Share, I don't mind going through the evolve-cancelation process every time.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    It depends on whether I'm using it in my team or not, really - so, in most cases, I'll evolve it as soon as I get it, because I just want the dex entry and have no intention of ever getting it out of the box. Although if I'm using it, I'll decide on the moveset I want first and evolve it only after I've gotten that moveset, if it involves moves the Pokemon would learn via levelling up.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Don't know why, around level 38 or so I make mine evolve, it's when made my Skitty & Minccino to evolve.

Back