• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stop that, Ash! [Ash's Strategies].

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    Well there is the obvious strategy of sending out Pokemon that have a clear disadvantage in typing out to battle, have said Pokemon, in general start getting beat up to the point where it looks like Ash is gonna lose and then notice the smallest of openings that even the most experienced trainers wouldn't notice, exploit that opening and KO Pokemon, rinse and repeat.

It's a pretty common theme in the anime, not that I have a problem with it, makes for good, interesting comebacks in battles XD

Years
    Gym Battle against Elesa... seriously Ash why were you hoping to rely on just Palpitoad and had no backup plan whatsoever when that Emolga totally owned him? And why did you use Snivy against that same Emolga when you knew she was weak to Flying attacks? Then of course you had to call upon your god Pikachu to save the day.

Still remains the worst Gym battle to date, because of how he tried to rely on one Pokemon and it went horribly wrong.

Years
    In his battle against Gary at the Silver Conference, why didn't Ash use Pikachu? He should have known that Gary had a Blastoise from the trainer info, but instead he tried to brute-force it with Charizard.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Unova flaws how Ash doesn't even bother to check before a Pokemon uses Attract/doesn't remember if his Pokemon are male or female, and any battle where Ash uses a Grass type against a Flying type. Come on, Ash, you know better. Also, how Ash always relies on Pikachu to save the day in most strategies, but, the anime is the anime, so, lmfao.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Any strategy that isn't possible to pull off in the actual games (thunder armor, NFE Pokemon beating a fully evolved Pokemon that has the type advantage due to a weak spot, etc.).

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
    Years
    Gym Battle against Elesa... seriously Ash why were you hoping to rely on just Palpitoad and had no backup plan whatsoever when that Emolga totally owned him? And why did you use Snivy against that same Emolga when you knew she was weak to Flying attacks? Then of course you had to call upon your god Pikachu to save the day.

Still remains the worst Gym battle to date, because of how he tried to rely on one Pokemon and it went horribly wrong.
    Palpitoad was USED disrespectfully by ash I think.
    He is strong, but not like GODLIKE as ash reckons
    know your weaknesses and when to switch out ash!

Years
    Palpitoad was USED disrespectfully by ash I think.
    He is strong, but not like GODLIKE as ash reckons
    know your weaknesses and when to switch out ash!

I agree, if he knew Palpitoad was too weak to fight Emolga after the fight against Zebstrika he would have been smart and switched to a Pokemon more capable of fighting it. I hate it when Ash makes poor judgement and it results in him losing a Pokemon during the battle as a result.

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
    Years
    I agree, if he knew Palpitoad was too weak to fight Emolga after the fight against Zebstrika he would have been smart and switched to a Pokemon more capable of fighting it. I hate it when Ash makes poor judgement and it results in him losing a Pokemon during the battle as a result.
    He is a joke of a trainer most of the time.
    His wins are either pokemon anime convenient or just plain luck.
    Though we still have to respect the underdog.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2016
    Although recently, you can see that he tries to think a bit ahead on some occasions.
    Though it was interesting that one time it didn't work, when having Fletchfinder use Flame Charge while in Trick Room to make it faster when it ended.

Though he is still reckless, mostly thinking only during the battle, and not beforehand most of the time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Ok not mostly a battle strategy but Ash team making ability is worse than even that of a 8 year old he has Hawlucha, Noibat and a Talon Flame as of now 3 flying types serious disadvantage towards rock types for sure and has no backup against them other than pikachu's iron tail and hawlucha's karate chop and I still believe ash should catch a few legendary or a few pseudo legendary or atleast a few super strong pokemon like Lucario or Salamence.

Runiel

I am male
    Years
    Ash is like a 10 year old kid who has his Pikachu learn Thunderbolt and think it is the strongest Move in the game, which is isn't.
    Also, his Pikachu basically has max happiness, why don't he utilize that? Maybe teach it Return or something? and get rid of the damn Quick Attack, it's (almost) useless.

Years
    Ok not mostly a battle strategy but Ash team making ability is worse than even that of a 8 year old he has Hawlucha, Noibat and a Talon Flame as of now 3 flying types serious disadvantage towards rock types for sure and has no backup against them other than pikachu's iron tail and hawlucha's karate chop and I still believe ash should catch a few legendary or a few pseudo legendary or atleast a few super strong pokemon like Lucario or Salamence.

He actually owned three Ground-types on his Sinnoh team, thought not at the same time - aka Gliscor, Gible and Torterra. So it doesn't make Kalos the first time he had a regional team with three Pokemon sharing a type.

And while a legendary would be cool, there seems to be a rule that no main character shall ever catch a legendary.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    So many of the posts above just make me want to shake my head or strangle something. Using Elesa's battle to tell people about how Ash battle is probably the biggest mistake you can make, because while that battle was beyond awful it's really not how he normally goes forward in a gym battle. If it says one thing about Ash is that he shouldn't overthink his strategies or rely too heavily on something in order to gain a stronger outcome but that's about it. Honestly looking at Unova as a whole is probably a bad idea to do, anyways. He's done a lot better in XY to the point that he was on a winning streak until XYZ after his losses with Korina.

I could write a novel about this, but I would like to point out that he doesn't just rely on Pikachu. Pikachu does win every battle either as he's loss against plenty of battles in the past and will continue to lose battles in the future. The only pokemon with a 100% win rate is Goodra and that's due to only having been in his party for a small amount of time.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
    Here's every flaw I've found (I did not look at other post)

1. Ash starts with new Pokémon except for Pikachu every season

2. Ash does not evolve Pikachu

3. Most of Ash's Pokémon don't evolve to their final form

4. Ash takes every battle head on

5. Ash copy's other peoples battle techniques sometimes

6. Ash is Pokémon's Goku (Likes his opponents stronger and his allies weaker, you all know its true)

7.Ash is still ten

8. Ash does not use Charizard

9. Ash just does not catch legendry's to battle with even though he saw all of them

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Making another addition is Ash never really understands that he wins by luck and takes action to make amends but that was until now in the Episode 27 XYZ he will realize it and thanks to XYZ's much more mature story line he will learn to use strategy more and win the league though will still continue to journey regions or restart from the Kanto and Ash is not 10 he is ~17 never trust voice acting and other than that in BW dawn was shown that means they tried to rectify their mistake else how come he got his Pokemon at 10 and met dawn made up to semis of Sinnoh League and made his way to Unova not possible. :)

Back