• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books Storing Books

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    So I've recently decided to build a collection of the Prima guides to the Pokémon series, aiming to purchase every one that applies to a game I own (currently missing only 1 after 3 months, having started from 0, with a couple where I'm still looking for the version with the poster) and I'm just wondering how best to safely shelve / store them? They're all very large books - roughly 30cm tall, 20cm wide - and up to 5cm thick in some cases (Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Pokédex is the largest), weighing multiple kilos...and they're all paperback. But the ones going back from Red/Blue up to Ranger are only 1cm thick and a lot frailer-seeming (partially due to age, apart from the sealed Yellow copy I somehow found). This size differential does at least mean how I currently have them - flat, alternating, with SwSh on the bottom and working my way backwards and upwards - keeps the rarest ones with the least pressure on them.

Most of my book "collection" before this are a) smaller and b) hardback. I'm concerned if I stack them upright with the spines facing outwards that I'll cause damage, likewise if I lie them flat (I've seen advice to lay them alternating, so a spine is never on top of a spine, but still...seems a lot of weight on them). One article mentioned "spine shelving" which apparently means shelving with their spines on the ground, but as I don't have enough to fill a shelf that seems unstable and also just looks...wrong.

I'm hoping someone on here has more experience storing large paperbacks, or large amounts of books in general, and can advise me? As 90% of the links on a search engine are about packing stuff up before placing it into a storage locker (mostly promoted by storage companies) or home design / style tips.

I have an IKEA Billy bookshelf freshly bought and put up in a corner out of direct sunlight (near a heater which may prevent damp in winter but also may risk warping them? Although my wardrobe did alright in the same position) but also under-bed storage boxes that can fit them flat, 4 stacks per box.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So I've recently decided to build a collection of the Prima guides to the Pokémon series, aiming to purchase every one that applies to a game I own (currently missing only 1 after 3 months, having started from 0, with a couple where I'm still looking for the version with the poster) and I'm just wondering how best to safely shelve / store them? They're all very large books - roughly 30cm tall, 20cm wide - and up to 5cm thick in some cases (Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Pokédex is the largest), weighing multiple kilos...and they're all paperback. But the ones going back from Red/Blue up to Ranger are only 1cm thick and a lot frailer-seeming (partially due to age, apart from the sealed Yellow copy I somehow found). This size differential does at least mean how I currently have them - flat, alternating, with SwSh on the bottom and working my way backwards and upwards - keeps the rarest ones with the least pressure on them.

Most of my book "collection" before this are a) smaller and b) hardback. I'm concerned if I stack them upright with the spines facing outwards that I'll cause damage, likewise if I lie them flat (I've seen advice to lay them alternating, so a spine is never on top of a spine, but still...seems a lot of weight on them). One article mentioned "spine shelving" which apparently means shelving with their spines on the ground, but as I don't have enough to fill a shelf that seems unstable and also just looks...wrong.

I'm hoping someone on here has more experience storing large paperbacks, or large amounts of books in general, and can advise me? As 90% of the links on a search engine are about packing stuff up before placing it into a storage locker (mostly promoted by storage companies) or home design / style tips.

I have an IKEA Billy bookshelf freshly bought and put up in a corner out of direct sunlight (near a heater which may prevent damp in winter but also may risk warping them? Although my wardrobe did alright in the same position) but also under-bed storage boxes that can fit them flat, 4 stacks per box.

I literally just store those sort of books flat in lidded storage boxes. Never had a problem with weight when stored like that personally.

Back