• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Story Expansions for Post-Game?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
  • I skipped Generationa IV and V completely and started VI a year after release so I'm not sure what I was expecting for a Post Game or a Meta Game. What I mean is after beating Y/AS and finishing up Looker's Story/Delta Episode, I felt done with the games and pretty much satisfied...until I got new Pokemon. Some of them were trades, bred Mons, and others were event Pokemon. So...what do I do now? I could breed and battle competively -which I still need to learn- but it's missing a certain element, like a story aspect. I want to experience new Pokemon freshly. Do you think Sun/Moon could benefit from story expansion packs? Mini chapters like Delta/Looker's that we can play through with a new party.
    I think it'd be interesting if any time they released a group of special Pokemon (like HA starters) to give us a mini quest for it. They could even use the regions professor instead of the delivery girl (seriously, who in-game is sending us Pokemon?). It's be DLC, obviously. The Pokemon itself should stay free but the story chapter would probably cost a bit.

What do you think?
    Story expansion DLC would be good, bad, needed, unnecessary?
    What's a good price for something with the length of Looker's Story or Delta Episode?
    What kind of events should be unlocked, just a runaround the region with new people or new (small) locations altogether?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    How about a Team Rocket gang of sorts or Jane that is going around trying or actually stealing trainers Pokemon. You would get notices through your gear of where and when they are. You would have to battle them, retrieve the Pokemon, and return them to trainers. That would be an on going post game entertainer.

Years
  • Like what some of the others said, I don't really want to pay to add additional content when I just want to discover it all myself. Pokemon is also a franchise that is heavily against DLC when it comes to most of the games.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • Pokemon isn't EA lol.
    And I would be extremely annoyed with them if the only means of a somewhat good post-game is due to a DLC. Post-games should already be apart of the game in the first place.

But to be honest, if they did do DLC, I think it would be reasonable, and that they wouldn't gyp us. I'm only thinking this cause I have both Pokemon Rumble and Pokemon Shuffle on my 3DS. I haven't bought a single thing on the games yet I can still play them everyday and a few times at that if I wanted to. And the things you can purchase are reasonably priced to, like everything is a few dollars.
    But then again, these are like mini games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There was an interview regarding DLC with Ken Sugimori in which he practically said no. I don't really see DLC working in a Pokemon game either. They can make up for it by adding plenty of additions to the post-storyline content which would eliminate the need to have DLC in the future.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I'm not saying that the post-game content should be strictly DLC. They should still keep going with their current formula and keep improving on that. But smaller, additional mini-quests are what I'm campaigning about. I personally wouldn't mind seeing longer ones for a small charge, but I definitely don't think that the games should be released with the idea of releasing additional, relevant content as DLC and not with the main game like most other companies do. If I were to use XY as an example, after the whole Looker and Essentia story, what if they released downloadable "cases" where the Looker Detective Agency needed you to look into something? Battle a small handful of trainers across the region or city, get a little more enjoyment out of your Pokemon (I'd use different Pokemon or event Pokemon for these), make some in-game cash and experience without having to repeat the normal process of rebattling the Elite 4 or Battle Maison, etc. I think that'd be a decent way of tiding us over until news of a third version/sequel/next generation came out.

Personally, I don't see why DLC wouldn't work with Pokemon as we already get event Pokemon (granted, not many people are fans of how they usually get distributed) as long as they're not cutting relevant content or leaving significant unanswered questions from the main game in order to release it as DLC.

User Anon 1848

No thanks. They've milked us enough with the third game per gen tradition in the past so I really hope they don't start releasing DLC's. A lot of those third games were glorified DLC's in the first place. BW2 might be the only exception.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    Pokemon is one of the last games that haven't been ruined by dlc so no dlc. Pokemon only really needs more save files for the people who want to play again but don't want to lose previous progress.

Years
  • I don't think they will bring in DLC missions/stories, but if they do I just don't see the reason for purchasing them. I know DLC is becoming one of the big things but it will feel like a bit of a slap in the face if we had to start paying extra for things when they haven't done it for the last 20 years.

But then again, games like Mario Kart started doing it.

Would I be against it if they do it? Probably not. I would rather see them just add the new story in an update if it is to work with a new giveaway Pokemon just received.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • If XY are anything to go by, what they should be doing is making the initial pair more "complete" instead of making them half-arsed in the first place. Your mileage may vary on what constitutes as a "complete" game, but the general consensus for XY is almost anything but. And to a few people, ORAS. But me personally, I thought ORAS was fine minus the exclusion of the BF.

Years
  • If XY are anything to go by, what they should be doing is making the initial pair more "complete" instead of making them half-arsed in the first place. Your mileage may vary on what constitutes as a "complete" game, but the general consensus for XY is almost anything but. And to a few people, ORAS. But me personally, I thought ORAS was fine minus the exclusion of the BF.

I do agree because I enjoy a Pokemon game more if there's more quality to the game and XY felt bland for me when I finished the main story, especially after playing BW and B2W2 and even moreso ORAS given those remakes stole a lot of the features that could have made XY better.

ORAS wasn't bad, but I know SM will be even better than any game I've played, especially if this being the 20th anniversary is to go by.

Bay

Years
  • Like the others said, I probably won't like it if the franchise starts doing DLC. Even if it's laid out similar to the example of Looker's extra cases I think I would rather have them be part of the game instead. I won't mind an extra side story like XY's Looker mission and ORAS's Delta Episode, though. Other extra postgame stuff, like going new areas in several games would be cool too. Would be interesting to see what side story Sun and Moon will have if the games does that.

Years
  • Like Bay said, I'm really not all for DLC, especially in a franchise like Pokemon. I'm sure we could get a decently sized postgame when you consider how long Game Freak had been working on Sun & Moon for. The last time I fully enjoyed a postgame was 5th Gen, notably in the case of B2/W2 which I often claim was the best postgame content in the history of the games.

Years
  • Pokémon HAS been doing DLC, it's just not called DLC. Event legendaries, wifi distributions - those are a form of DLC. Nothing new.

I do agree that actual gameplay content, such as a new 'episode' or the like, would probably not be a good idea, especially if it's paid content. They're still targeting young kids, and those generally don't have the money to buy them, or can't get parental permission, etc etc etc. Imho they have proven before that the adult players aren't their target market, so why suddenly start targeting them now?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    They could also do updates to add content like they are doing with the new Digimon World: Next 0rder in Japan.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think dlc content for Pokemon would be too complicated, like buying a Pokemon game that's not even 1/3 long as a regular Pokemon game that's around $20 might make people angry or something. I think Pokemon should just stick to the special events it has

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I hope they dont only have battle based post game thingos. I loved the pokeathlon, and it could work really well on that tropical island too. seriously I had nearly all medal in pokeathlon and like 700 h. more than any other game.
    I also liked the tree in black 2(or was it white 2?) better than those mansions where just walk and wait for the same people all the time

Back