• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Storyline when you have too many ideas...

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I'm in the middle of finishing my storyline for a game I am starting. Now I originally had a clear storyline set out then got a lot of new ideas in my head. So I sat down and tried to see what could work with my story with a few being successful and the others needing to be set aside for a different game/storyline. I'm about 80% finished with the core story along with a few "sidequests" in-game.

I'm curious, how many of you have had this happen and how do you handle it? In a similar manner to my method or something completely different?

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • It is safe to assume that this happens to everyone.
    Some idea are totally ridiculus.
    Some are good in theory but hard to implement.
    Some sound good but aren't that fun to play.

Too many ideas and twists in a story make it ridiculous and unrealistic imo. So in other words, a story imo should be different and original but believable.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    It happens to me a lot. Even now, after 3 months of planning, these random ideas keep popping into my head and the storyline keeps on changing. I reject the bad ones though.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • [COLOR=#00b80]This happens to me a lot as well, but I see no problem with it. The larger the storyline the better, in my opinion. Besides, if it's a Pokémon game, you can always just carry the story on after the Pokémon league. That gives you loads of more time.[/COLOR]

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    This never happened to me, as I'm always using all of my ideas in my games, choosing one main-storyline, and using the others for the post-game.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I think up ideas 90& of the day.
    I forget bad ones within a few minutes ... which is 89% of that. ._.

luxuriate

Original Trainer
    Years
  • I think that details are great. If you have too many stories, you can make some of them a NPC comment or a side-quest. Or save for another game.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Too much storyline isn't too much of a problem. It's just how well you pace the game.

You have to make it spread out properly, Instead of having 10 minutes of text boxes, spread it out

triggerhappymonk

Strong as crap trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I must admit, It's still happening. In my tin/steel versions, I'm trying to figure out what storyline elements, mechanics and what characters/graphics to include. It's so confusing.

Years
  • Honestly i have problems but this is how i get work done.
    I open up the immediate music on youtube, start with a song and work down the list, and Ideas just come to my mind. I play the game in my mind to the song, Sometimes fistpumping, headbaning and engaging in my story... Sometimes dancing and fighting, almost like i'm in a movie.
    Honestly it sounds so flaming and really weird, but it gets me results. >_>

Back