• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strange ideas of the origin of the universe, etc?

Brainstorm

I'm not smart; I'm random.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    Have you ever come across strange random thoughts or brainstorms that something strange or mysterious could hold a much greater value in knowledge or physical existence?

(warning, serious mental brain-farts ahead)

It's mathematically impossible to find the square root of a negative number. This is because a square is the result of two equal numbers (which are called square root) and negative numbers can only be brought about by multiplying a positive number and a negative number. However, I hypothesize the existence of this "negative square root." There are two branching scales of integers off of zero, positive numbers and negative numbers. What if there was a 3rd scale unknown or incomprehensible to us? If there was, I'm sure the square root of a negative number would be the number in the "third scale." Maybe understanding such a thing could make us understand existence more?

Discuss/submit your own random thoughts. I'll probably come back with more brain-farts later.

Years
    While I have no 'strange ideas' of my own to share, I'd like to comment on yours.

It's an interesting theory, but something doesn't seem quite right to me. While humans may not have invented actual number (as in multiplicities of an object/objects), we did invent the numeral system and mathematics, which includes square roots. What I don't understand is how we could possibly invent something incomprehensible to ourselves? There may be something extremely similar to the square root of a negative number, but I don't think you could call it the "square root" without disregarding one or more of the characteristics that make a square root a square root.

I think you're on to something, though. The bit about this "3rd scale" is actually already a theory. This Wikipedia article explains that "negative real numbers can be obtained by 'squaring' complex (imaginary) numbers."

My view on the whole thing is that complex numbers are exactly that: complex numbers. Not so complex that we should consider them imaginary, but complex enough that we either haven't discovered them (yet), or, as you said, they're "incomprehensible" to us.

Anyway, it's really hard to wrap your mind around. I'd rather just not think about, as the numeral system we have now seems to be working well enough. ;p

Black Omega Zero

Ware Wa Meshia Nari GHAHAHAHA!
    Years
    Rockets is right about the numbers' thing, but if you want the right answer, go to my post, in the "Do you believe in god or not" topic, my 1st post... not a strange idea, but the demonstrated truth!

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Well, I had one earlier today.

What is 0/0 ?

ALL numbers, when divided by themselves, equal 1. It's a general rule of mathematics.

BUT...if:

0/0=1

then:

2 = 2 x 1 = 2 x (0/0) = (2 x 0)/ 0 = 0/0 = 1

So:

2 = 1

illogical, huh? So what is 0/0 equal to?

Back