• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Strange Way to Play

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2008
    I was talking to my sister who has pokemon Diamond and she gets a starter and gets other pokemon, but only trains her starter, so by the time she's in the Elite 4, the starter is around level 70 and she runs right through them. Granted this is just an opinion, but wouldnt that take out all the fun of having a unique team?

And...... Debate!

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    lol well in game, anything can win. i played like that myself a long time ago (Days of gold/silver/crystal)

she would get owned online though me thinks

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I used to do that, but you find out that there are certain Pokemon that you can't kill with just 1 starter. She/He doesn't realize that I guess...

Cid

Years
    I think it depends on the player, but it would be hard to do that, unless you teach the starters with moves that don't apply STAB.
    I also think that you should have a variety of Pokemon with a variety of types, just in case.

homsar

Competitive Gamer
    Years
    I do this in every RPG ever... I don't know why I do it, it just happens. I usually can sweep the entire game (all trainers on all routes) in a few days like that. In the case of the fourth gen I only had a spot of trouble on the elite four's first battle. In past gens I beat the game with a single charmander which I never evolved. To me that sort of thing is fun.

LaurenLOVESTONED

StrawberryFieldsForever
    Years
    my brother does it all the time. he thinks hes like a Pokemon master and i'm like "you're such a n00b"
    i think its more fun to raise your team equally and have a strong, well balanced team

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Yes, training a team equally is more fun. But I find it's more fun training a team up if you're going to battle online. However if I can gets the pokes I likes, that makes it fun enough for me to train them all in game and battle in game.

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    You need nothing more than your starter for ingame play. If you want to go online it's advisable to visit those nice old people living in that nice queit town.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Most people do it for the challenge. I've seen some people doing it, but I prefer the variety, which is why I've never gone and done it; I don't really see the point. to each their own, I guess.

Aikochan

Sexy Trainer Aiko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2008
    I have done this a few times but that is mainly when i can't find the pokemon I love. And that wasnt ever hard for me I loved having myself the three starters I always got all three. After i got the starters then I started complex teams like pidgey's a pikachu and a butterfly. If i didn't like the starters of that generation I went and got An abra which i made into a kadabara then into an alakazm. I was looking forward to getting a ralts as well this generation

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I've had always raised my starters 5-10 levels ahead the rest of the party but never raise only my starter

:t354:TG

I tend to level them all up equally; that way, I don't have to do extensive training on the one Pokemon I need to get an edge up on whatever Elite Four member I have a weakness against. I used to extensively train my Starter up, but that was when I was young, and to be frank, quite useless at the game; despite the fact I still managed to win. I used to only use Attacking moves *coughcough* With the dawn of Diamond and Pearl, though, I've leaned towards using my Pokemon appropriately, and in the case of Vespiquen, keeping an ability like Defend Order and Heal Order handy.

I actually used a Vespiquen for my Pearl team. ^^

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    I used one pokemon which was my starter and lost to the first gym. I guess Monferno, even with super-effective fighting moves you got to have backup, right? Some people whip through the game with just-starters, and i say it's not very smart. Imagine how much work you'd have to do in the end for the Nat. Dex!

Chonlel48

'Tallica and computers ftw
    Years
    I flew through Pearl just using Piplup and Starly line. Around Snowpoint is when I added a Fresh-faced Medicham... Which was used as a wall until the pokemon league. It can be done, but a lotta revisions will be made when your team craps out in Battle Tower/Non wi-fi battle with a friend.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    In Pearl, My Team ALWAYS Had My Chim/mon/fernape, and Most Of the Time my Star-ly/avia/aptor, and once I got it, a Roselia also stuck around for most of the ride as well (I did eventually evolve it into Roserade after the E-4)

See? Only 3 Main guys!

(In Emerald: Treeko/Grovyle/Skeptile, Taillow/Swellow, and Azzumarril, and a Cumerupt that went one and off. | In Firered: All I really used was my starter, Squirtle which is now a level 70-ish Blastoise About to head to the E-4, though I'm REALLY working on getting a Dragonite beforehand! Oh, and I DID Have Ch'Ding and Lapras {Who I named "Taco" o_O} mainly as HM Slaves. Really, though, Squirt did the job for me. | In MOMOKO's Fired: Charizard, Pidgeot, and... believe it or not, I forget... I did have a Butterfree on my team for a gym or two... after that, I think I used Arcanine. | In my ORIGINAL Game {Sapphire}: Blaziken, Swellow, And... something else... Zigzagoon Pickup/HM Slave, maybe?)

Yeah, I usually tend to have like 2-3 Main Fighters, and have some HM Slaves... dunno why O_O

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    I used to do that, but you find out that there are certain Pokemon that you can't kill with just 1 starter. She/He doesn't realize that I guess...

I agree with most of that statement, but he does state it's his sister, last I checked, sisters were girls :p Anyway, Ooka is right, there are some Pokemon you can't kill with just your starter.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    I get my starter, level it till I get Pokeballs, then I move on to train them to what the starter is on level wise, then I start by leveling the starter 2 levels and everything else two levels after it, keeping a nice balance.

Back