• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strange ways that Pokémon evolve

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh wow, I didn't know about Pancham's evolution method. That is pretty cool, probably based on Chinese monks or something. Chinese because it's a panda :p I'm getting Mists of Pandaria vibes here.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2014
    Dragonair into Dragonite (we go from a serpent creature to a suddenly enormous beast with arms, legs, and a beer belly. How does that work out?

Caterpie into Venofree, Er... I mean Butterfree! Butterfree is what I meant! Butterfree doesn't really look like it's evolved from a caterpie and more like it evovled from a venonat, if I had to guess I'd say their evolutions were probably switched.

Years
  • Wurmple is another interesting evolution branch with a quirky (nature based, I think?) That's a game of chance when catching them

Wurmple's is definitely a case of "weird" evolution given that you can't easily tell if it'll become a Beautifly or Dustox in the end because there's a hidden personality value that you won't see in-game, so yeah it's like quite hard to guess which line it'll follow.

In fact, here's Bulbapedia's article on personality value, then scroll down to "Wurmple's evolution" to see how the whole thing is calculated: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_value

Caterpie into Venofree, Er... I mean Butterfree! Butterfree is what I meant! Butterfree doesn't really look like it's evolved from a caterpie and more like it evovled from a venonat, if I had to guess I'd say their evolutions were probably switched.

Yeah if you look at Venonat's eyes you'd think it evolves into Butterfree but nope Game Freak really trolled us on this one.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I too always thought the evolution from Dragonair into Dragonite was weird. I think Dragonair is really cool looking, all serpentine and elegant. Then it evolves into a kinda lame looking dragon like something you'd see on Dragon Tales.

I've also thought it was weird--and completely nonsensical--that some Pokemon only evolve when you trade them. From the perspective of within the Pokemon universe, how does that make sense? It's like if a caterpillar turned into a butterfly as soon as I handed it over to a friend in exchange for a kitten.

And last but not least, Lickitung and Tangela evolving by knowing Ancientpower. It makes sense for Yanmega and Mamoswine, since they're based on prehistoric creatures. But it's kinda weird for Lickitung and Tangela.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • And last but not least, Lickitung and Tangela evolving by knowing Ancientpower. It makes sense for Yanmega and Mamoswine, since they're based on prehistoric creatures. But it's kinda weird for Lickitung and Tangela.

Lickitung needs to know Rollout, not Ancientpower. I suppose that makes sense given Lickilicky's more rotund appearance butttt I'd rather just pretend Lickilicky doesn't exist. As for Tangrowth, it looks like a bulky caveman, I guess?

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
    Years
  • Gamefreak: trolling young children worldwide since October 12th, 2013. I'm just gonna say it: Inkay and Malamar. Without the internet how are young kids supposed to figure out how to evolve it? Well it might say in a players guide but whatever. Upside down? Really?

Also, when Nincada evolves into Ninjask, its shedded skin becomes Shedinja. F*cking brilliant.

SnailCandy

Bass Dropper
    Years
  • Okay. We've been talking about weird evolutions, but I haven't seen anyone mention this sooooo....

Can somebody explain to me HOW THE F*** Clamperl evolves into Gorebyss and Huntail!? Huh!? A clam...okay? Becoming a sea-serpent! WTF!? My brain can't even handle...Not to mention that the pearl, which has a face and appears to be a living thing, becomes part of Spoink...Wrong, just plain wrong, Nintendo...

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • Okay. We've been talking about weird evolutions, but I haven't seen anyone mention this sooooo....

Can somebody explain to me HOW THE F*** Clamperl evolves into Gorebyss and Huntail!? Huh!? A clam...okay? Becoming a sea-serpent! WTF!? My brain can't even handle...Not to mention that the pearl, which has a face and appears to be a living thing, becomes part of Spoink...Wrong, just plain wrong, Nintendo...

It's never been stated that Spoink uses a Clamperl. It's possible it's something else entirely. As for its evolution, yes, it is a bit crazy, but since I had already swallowed Remoraid to Octillery a generation earlier, I suppose it was easier to stomach.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I actually saw meme of this.
    "Your Koffing is about to evolve!"
    "Your Koffing now has a massive, living tumor and will die in a week."

This is a weird evo. All koffing did was get a huge growth.

Back