• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stressed out

Years
    I am a fanfic author as you guys didn't know. People like my personality but my fanfics have a reputation for being fast-paced. I'm not sure if my mind is to adept or if it's just my writing style.

If I can't improve soon then I'll just stop writing. My wattpad username is cherry_puff0 . Please help!

User19sq

I think the fact that we don't know about your works is because of a lack of advertisement. Of course, traditional add-ing is a no-no, but a signature's perfect for doing so.

I myself have a fic here too, but I'd rather not advertise it in my sig unless I can get some artwork done for it's main character(s). But I have no skills or scanner, so I can't do anything over that. XD Maybe you'll figure something out, bud.

Bay

Years
    Moved this to the Writer's Lounge as the main section is for posting stories while the subforum is for discussions of writing.

The best way to help you improve is to post your fic here. Not all of us use wattpad/have an account from that site, so if you want feedback here then you need to post here too.

I will say though sometimes fast paced isn't a bad thing. Some stories that have more action benefits from faster pacing than, say, a romance story. I would say pacing depends on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Here's an important question: what does 'soon' mean? Does it mean two months or two years? If it means two months, I certainly wouldn't suggest quitting that fast.

Speaking personally, I think the biggest factor in any improvement I've shown in my writing over the last five years is the fact that I'm five years older now. Maybe you're forty and you don't need this advice, but I'd suggest forgetting about milestones and deadlines and instead trusting that you'll improve over time given patience and practice. It's not a race, so just keep plugging along at it and don't forget to have fun!

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Hi. I'm on Wattpad and I've just added you. I find on there it's difficult to get reads, but I don't let it put me off. As for on here, you can post your fanfiction and sometimes you'll get feedback. It can be a little frustrating when you think no one's reading, but I suggest post in as many places as you can, and don't get discouraged! I post here, Wattpad, Serebii's forums and FFnet. I find FFnet is the best place since people can leave quick reviews and you know if someone is reading and enjoying when they add or fave your story. Whereas in forums you only have the 'views' to go off and you can't be sure those readers are sticking around for the whole thing.

The tips I can give you is to read and review other's work, advertise in your signature, gain more visibility. I tend to lurk, but I have met some cool people in writing forums, FFnet and Wattpad. Add a writing buddy. I'm happy to chat writing with you and give advise any time! I tend to check the forums daily just in case I have a PM.

Again, don't get discouraged. Write for the sheer enjoyment of writing. I love writing and I love writing for others and it's reads, faves and reviews that keep me going. But if I didn't enjoy the story I was writing then I wouldn't feel like writing it at all. If you enjoy it, keep going. If you're enjoying it, then your readers may also be enjoying it. Also remember there are silent readers. Not everyone has something to say. Maybe they're shy and don't know what to say! Above all, the more you write - and read (we all learn from somewhere) - the more you'll improve =D

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Don't give up! One thing you should know, and this is something I'm still trying to learn myself, is that what others say doesn't matter. It's fine to improve on your writing, but you shouldn't let others tell you how to write. It's your story, and you can write it in any kind of way you want. If you like writing faced-paced stories, that's perfectly fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't accept the advice of others... just that it's best not to dwell too much on it.

I know exactly how you feel though. I get stressed by how I write as well. A lot of people choose not to read my stories, and it can be so infuriating. I actually had one person I shared one of them with tell me that my autistic character was a spoiled brat... when the character wasn't. It really hurt me until I realized just how overly ignorant the person was. I almost gave up on wanting to write because I took what this person said to heart.

I'll follow you also. My username on Wattpad is TheAdorbzOne. :3

Back