• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strong trick room team, someone has other idea for good backups?

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    Hi guys, I recently build a trick room. For doubles.
    I had a lot of succes with it already but im looking for good possible backups to build in my team.
    This is my team right now:

Claydol and porygon2 as trick room setters.

Claydol - Bold nature holding light clay
    252hp\126sp def/ 126 def/4 spa
    Reflect
    Light screen
    Trick room
    Dazzling gleam

Porygon 2 quiet nature holding eviolite
    252hp/126sp def/126 def/ 4 spa
    Tri attack
    Recover
    Trick room
    Sunny day/ psyshock

And then around it i have.

Dragalge modest nature holding black sludge
    126hp/126 def/252spa/ 4 sp def
    Dragon pulse
    Sludge bomb
    Scald
    Protect

Camerupt holding cameruptite brave nature
    252hp/126attack/126sp attack/4def
    Earthquake
    Rock slide
    Eruption
    Protect

Ferrothorn w life orb brave nature
    252 hp/252 attack/ 4 sp def.
    Iron head
    Power whip
    Protect
    Knock off

Hariyama w assault vest relaxed nature
    126hp / 126 sp def/ 252 def/ 4 attack
    Fake out
    Close combat
    Rock slide
    Fire/ ice punch

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
    A couple of things:
    1. leading off with both of your only trick room guys is a bad idea.
    2. Your lead trick room setter should always have mental herb to guarantee trick room set-up.
    3. Your team is too passive, trick room only lasts 5 turns, spending turns setting up screens is not viable. Once trick room is up you starting hitting as hard as you can, then trick room again etc etc.
    4. Almost all of your pokemon are useless outside of trick room, if your lead gets taunted or fake-out'ed and KO'd you've lost, especially with such obvious trick room leads like claydol. You should consider pokemon which are useful outside of trick room too such as conkeldurr, turn 2 you're generally going to be switching out to a sweeper, toxic orb orb will activate and conkeldurr's guts will grant is 624 attack, then it can OHKO or 2HKO almost everything(I'll put calcs at the bottom). Azumarrill and heatran are some other examples.

On to your choices, like I said before your suffers outside of trick room dragalge, ferrothorn and camerupt are all sub par. Hariyama is decent and fake-out is an awesome move in doubles but conkeldurr generally offers far more power. While you can kind of get away with porygon 2 who has seen use on all kinds of teams, claydol is fairly obvious. It might be a good idea to use a different trick room user but if you want to stick with claydol drop the screens and give it a mental herb and explosion, Though Carbink w/ sturdy and mental herb has a little more bulk than Claydol and pretty much guarantees trick room it is a lot more susceptible to mons with bullet punch and exploding out turn 2 doesn't hurt as much, not that claydol will be dealing heavy damage to anything.

Here is a list of pokemon that are viable under trick room and outside of it performs fairly well:
    Spoiler:

Try out some of those and focus more on offensive synergy rather than defensive, you can't win if all your pokemon are walled by the same thing regardless of trick room.

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 187-220 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
    252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 232-274 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Hammer Arm vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 190-225 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 199-235 (66.1 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 219-258 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
    Back