• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Studying tips

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    re: recording.

With some rare exceptions, my university records lectures on behalf of the students and puts them up either for download or to listen to in the browser at the student's leisure. Apparently they're lifesavers come exam time.

Sirfetch’d

This may sound odd, but I found studying while in a hot bath was the best way to absorb information. The tranquility of the bathroom and the relaxing sensation that a warm bath gives you allows your mind to be at ease and not race around, which to me made it easier to study.

Years
  • I honestly just listened to pretty much every relaxing Pokemon music compilation on YouTube during study leave for the past two years, it really helps me and doesn't make studying as dull and boring.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The method I used in college: take notes on everything you think you'll need to remember, while making sure they're neatly written and intuitive. If there's ever anything you need to review, consult your notes, rather than looking it up in your textbook or handouts. If it's not in your notes, look it up in said textbook/handouts, and then put it into your notes. Once you're in the habit of relying on your own notes for review, you'll naturally start taking better notes, and you'll be actively updating them over time. Unfortunately I don't know of any science that backs this up per se, but I've personally found that I retain information much better when I'm reviewing my own notes rather than going back to refer to the textbook.

Also, if you're taking notes during a lecture, quantity over quality. Just jot down anything and everything you think is important, then polish them up later, preferably while it's all still fresh in your mind.

And yea, like everyone said, avoid cramming if you can. It might help you pass a test you're not adequately prepared for in advance, but you don't really retain any of the information you cram, so it hurts in the long run.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Getting into a regular schedule when it comes to revising is helpful for getting things done, even when on some days you feel 'meh'.

I also find setting a target (i.e. go through x topic or chapter) for what to revise before starting helps with focus.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • studying with a friend. as distracting as it can be sometimes, i actually found it to be really useful when revising for my exams back in march. also, allocate a fixed amount of time to studying and take breaks regularly, otherwise you'll overwork yourself and it will have an adverse affect.

Years
  • Studying for what? I can give a few tips on studying for school. The way I studied in high-school was pretty much writing down everything that I needed to know for whatever I was studying. If I had to know 10 definitions, I would write them all down, even if I already did that previously in my notes.

For exams, I went a bit further. For last (and most important) exam, I actually wrote out every single important slide from every powerpoint we were taught from the whole year. It took me an entire day, and I was hoping it would pay off. I needed up getting the highest mark I ever got on an exam, 97%.

Hope these tips help in some way!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Take as many notes as possible, not whatever the professor wrote on the board or on their powerpoint slides. Even if the professor indicated that it's "not necessary" to write notes, DO SO ANYWAYS, because that is a trick and 65% chance that it will be on the exam anyways. A voice recorder is very helpful when it comes to lectures so get one if you can.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    This may sound odd, but I found studying while in a hot bath was the best way to absorb information. The tranquility of the bathroom and the relaxing sensation that a warm bath gives you allows your mind to be at ease and not race around, which to me made it easier to study.

until U fuck around n drop ur flashcards / phone smh

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    • Instead of wasting time on Facebook, put face in book.
    • Study everyday instead of last minute cramming.
    • Don't just memorize, but understand.
    • Studying early in the morning, is better than late at night.
    :

I agree with Chu, only ... not on the last point (Sorry buddy, I still love ya!)

Learn how to know yourself and your work habits.
    I do work better at night. I just did my 6th year in Uni so I know that's how I work. Some people don't believe me and say that I should study early instead of at night, but I tried and it. does. not. work. for. me.
    I feel like there is less distractions at night. And beside, before 12 PM, I can't work properly. I am not saying at night works for everyone, but that's the point: if you find a time that work for you, keep it. I lost so much time trying to change my habits and to sleep earlier/wake up earlier, and I literally lost my time.

Also, find a good spot for studying. For me, the environment is important: a right coffee shop, right spot in the house, And after a while you get use to this spot and it gets boring/do not motivate you anymore. Then you change your spot. I actually have 2 spots and I like to switch places.

Back