• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Stupid new question-free space

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    So I am really new to rom hacking-all I have done so far is small messing with advance map and a few other things like turning trade-only-evolve into stone evolve. But my question is slightly for a more grand scale question:in my searching around for about hacking roms, a lot mention 'free space' and tools which search for it. Is it possible for me to just remove all the maps w/ events for this 'free space' or would I be better making new maps-editing maps to how I like and modify scripts to be better?

(Thanks for helping a newb like me)

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2015
    Honestly, yu cant really remove information thats already there unles you manually overwrite it in a hex editor. in which case youdd have to be able to ID exactly which codes to change. Too much trouble if you ask me. its easier if you just expand your rom(by opening it in a hex editor, scrolling to the last line and entering more lines to CREATE free space. you can then use the hacking tool Free Space Finder to find free space based on how much space you need. Ex, if you want to insert an image that is 1010 bytes, you plug 1010 into the bytes box, and hit search then overwrite the using the line of numbers and letters it gives you. Much easier.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    So I am really new to rom hacking-all I have done so far is small messing with advance map and a few other things like turning trade-only-evolve into stone evolve. But my question is slightly for a more grand scale question:in my searching around for about hacking roms, a lot mention 'free space' and tools which search for it. Is it possible for me to just remove all the maps w/ events for this 'free space' or would I be better making new maps-editing maps to how I like and modify scripts to be better?

(Thanks for helping a newb like me)

Whilst there are patches floating around that clear all the pre-made scripts (pretty sure I've seen one, anyway) they're not really necessary for a typical hack.

There is plenty of free space in the ROM for all your additional graphics, scripts and routines - even more so since we can expand ROMs up to 32mb.

Editing the pre-existing maps is the easiest :) since then you're just overwriting the data from previously. As long as you don't tinker with the size then I'm pretty sure the map data will stay the same? Not entirely sure on the impact of changing the size myself.

Hope this helps! Basically, don't worry about running out of free space any time soon, there's plenty there already!

Back