• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Stupid question

Years
  • I've finally gotten all 151 in Yellow, so I want to get myself one the GSC games. I think I'll take Crystal, but I'm not sure if I can still get both Lugia and Ho-oh, and if I still will be able to use the duplicate trick. I just want to make sure.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    You can get both birds, but you can not duplicate in Crystal. That trick only applies to Gold and Silver.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    You will not receive the Rainbow Wing needed to acquire Ho-oh until you have captured Suicune, Entei and Raikou.

Years
  • Too bad I won't be able to clone... Guess I'll try to get Gold or Silver then. At least if I can find them, because all I've seen for a while is Crystal. But thanks for the info anyway.

Porygon

Banned
    Years
  • I never noticed any real challenging differences between them. If you're talking about Legendary Bird availability, lol I don't even go after them. I can beat it without them. Besides, freshly caught L40s can very easily be no match for even a L30 trained from the lowest level possible, even if the types aren't aligned to the lower?level Pok?mon's advantage.

Years
  • Do you remeber how Missingo. used to screw up your Hall of Fame in Red/Blue? Well my Yellow's Hall of Fame is also screwed up. This happened: I was using the working Mew trick to find other Pok?mon. After finding and catching Magmar, Electabuzz, Golem, Gengar, and more, I ran into a Pok?mon named 4 . . looking just like Missingo. I ran away, and when I later checked my Hall of Fame it was just like my friend's (he has Red and uses the item duplication trick). My items were not duplicated :(

And I hope I can find Gold, if that's really more of a challenge. I just need the duplication trick because I want to keep all my Pok?mon on Yellow, but still want to get 250 Pok?mon in Gold/Silver.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I know I don't have to have them all for the diploma (I think that's what you mean, I never head of an award before, and I beat the rom, ???) but I just want to.

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Kairi said:
    You can get both birds, but you can not duplicate in Crystal. That trick only applies to Gold and Silver.
    That's strange, because it was possible to clone in my Crystal version of Pokemon using the "box+switch-off-in-middle-of-saving-and-turn-on-and-bingo!" trick. It even works for the legendaries.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Hmm, well I think it's just harder to get the timing for it. Most people can't. Guess you're lucky? ^_^

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Rodney said:
    But, but.... I tried it! It didn't work! On the rom! I'll go try it again right now. :\
    Hey I doubt that will work on a Rom. You could shark the items or pokemon you want instead.
    Mine works on the gameboy colour all right. I do think it must have been the timing.

Years
    • Age 41
    • Seen Jun 24, 2010
    Rodney said:
    I just tried it and it didn't work! When exactly do I have to turn off? At the beginning or the end of the saving?

He didn't turn the game off at the beginning or the end of the saving saving rather in the middle of saving.

Years
  • shiny_jiggly said:
    Hey I doubt that will work on a Rom. You could shark the items or pokemon you want instead.
    Mine works on the gameboy colour all right. I do think it must have been the timing.

Gold/Silver does work on the rom. But I'll just keep on trying until it works.

Porygon

Banned
    Years
  • I don't need a ROM, lol. Anyway, why would you want to copy your Pok?mon? I did it once accidentially [don't know how it happened, I just found a copy of my Magmar from a few levels back in the computer], and I found no use for it.

Years
  • Well, I'll be able to get all 3 starter Pokemon, I can get 5 Eevee's easily instead of breeding, and I can keep my old Pokemon in Yellow by cloning them. But anyways, I can't find any of the G/S/C games in any store... Hope they get a restock... Oh and I'm still trying to clone on Crystal, I'll keep on trying it until it works ;)

Back