• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sub or Dub? Which do you prefer?

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
Years
Just wondering which one people prefer here. I prefer watching subbed (subtitled) episodes rather than dubbed.

Pokemon, in particular, require a lot of dubbing because of the pokemon noises that are in the anime. It'd be weird to hear Jigglypuff saying 'puri puri', haha. But Pikachu works out perfectly, of course, haha.

Aside from the fact that I don't need it to be dubbed, I like watching things "raw". Even with foreign movies, I feel the message/emotions get across better when the film/episode is subbed.

That's just me. What about you? ;3

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
Years
  • Age 31
  • AZ
  • Seen Mar 19, 2014
When it comes to any anime, I've always preferred watching the subbed version rather than the dubbed. I hardly watch dubbed anime anymore, as I feel like you get a fuller effect that the makers want you to feel when you watch it in Japanese with subtitles, it conveys more feeling than a translated take.

That's just my opinion though. Another reason why is because I like the way the Japanese language sounds, its nice picking up on random Japanese words that I can randomly use in conversation to confuse my friends xD

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
Years
When it comes to any anime, I've always preferred watching the subbed version rather than the dubbed. I hardly watch dubbed anime anymore, as I feel like you get a fuller effect that the makers want you to feel when you watch it in Japanese with subtitles, it conveys more feeling than a translated take.

That's just my opinion though. Another reason why is because I like the way the Japanese language sounds, its nice picking up on random Japanese words that I can randomly use in conversation to confuse my friends xD

That's what I think too. It's hard to convey the emotional context when the culture is very different because the speaking style and body language is not the same. ;3

But I guess it's easier for some people to watch dubbed shows because not everyone who watches Pokemon can read and you don't have to pay attention to the screen to read the subtitles to understand what is going on. It's a bummer though, because sometimes, certain events or actions don't really make sense when it's watched in this way, haha. But at least they get to watch it!! Pokemon is great!

PixieCircle8

Writer // Roleplayer
Years
Subbed lol XD
You see, dubbed version come out late and my country and english dubbing is rather fast and you can watch raw one at youtube, although i prefer wait not too long and got the subbed one. Dubbed is rather,.. rare too now. For past generations, it's hard to find the subbed one and i just take the dubbed one.

But for Kalos and BW, it's likely subbed is coming handy. Raw is handy too if you can understand japanese a bit, japanese is rather easy and Pokemon don't have such a hard word/ sentence so the language is not really far.

@krabbypatz93
LOL XD
Yes, it's good to confuse other (and even tease them) with japanese, although if people around you is an otaku, than it can't do much.

@LillikoiJuice
Well, sometimes english is fast too and still i rather prefer japanese :3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well, I watch raw simply because the subbers aren't up to date with the anime rn. I'd prefer to watch subbed, because I think you get a more accurate dialogue? But I don't really mind dub and will certainly watch it if it's on. And actually I kind of prefer dub for Kanto-Sinnoh just because that's what I'm used to and it doesn't require me to pay as much attention to the screen as I work my way through it.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
RAW for me as well - as the subtitles are just too darn annoying and distracting. I don't mind watching subbed once, but I prefer the original no subs. Helps me better learn the language.

Many dubs don't have the same emotion as the originals.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Dubbed.

Because I can't watch anime and read at the same time.

Yes, I find it hard to pay attention to the scenes and read the text at the same time. That's why I prefer dub. You can pay attention to the pretty artwork while understanding what's being said. I also had a heck of a time while watching some subbed episodes. The characters would speak faster than I could read their dialogue haha. IMO the dub and sub convey the same emotions.

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
Years
RAW for me as well - as the subtitles are just too darn annoying and distracting. I don't mind watching subbed once, but I prefer the original no subs. Helps me better learn the language.

Many dubs don't have the same emotion as the originals.
Me too. Take "9000", for example, the whole thing with that was the way it was dubbed. Haha.

Years
I prefer dubbed. As it was previously mentioned, I can watch and understand things at the same time if it's dubbed. Some anime are horrid when it's dubbed, but that wouldn't stop me from watching it. Others, like Death Note, are well done with the dubbing. And watching the Behind the Scenes parts on the DVDs made me realize just how fun yet tedious voice acting could be. 15 minutes to get one line right? Geez.....

Subbed is okay too, but seeing as streaming is technically illegal except on certain websites, I just get used to the dubs when they come out. Or when the official sites releases DVDs. I'm actually hoping they never dub Toradora!, unless the cast is excellent.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I try both for whatever anime I start watching and pick my poison after I gauge which voiceover sounds less like a cheese grater to my ear drums than the other.

DBKHD

Elite Saiyan
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 5, 2022
I don't mind dub because it's hard to make a terrible dub when it comes to Pokémon anime, but I prefer sub simply because it's the original source of the show. It's the version you are supposed to be watching, anyway. I also prefer characters' names as well as Pokémon's in Japanese.

It's too bad that Viz Media won't put Japanese with English subtitle on DVD, let alone put dubtitle on it.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Dub. I was raised on dubs anime, and I don't like japanese voices much, more annoying. I do watch Detective Conan (Case Closed) subbed, that I can't stand the dub.

I don't mind most dubs. I feel Pokemon/Yugioh do just fine dubbed. I just grown use to their english voices, the sub version of pokemon is too different.

Years
I prefer dub. I have watched some sub episodes tho. They are interesting but I like the dub version more 'cause of the English Pokemon names and the names of the characters! :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • they/them
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Oh god, sub easily. In my country, everything on TV is in English and subbed into my native language, so watching something in Japanese and reading English subs isn't hard for me.

I always liked the original Japanese voices much more than the English dubs. You lose things when you watch the dub, apparently. Plus, I much prefer to hear "miijuuuu!" than "osha osha oshakjshdjs". Was so disappointed when I first heard Mijumaru's and Pokabu's English voices, haha. For me, the pokémon species are Oshawott and Tepig, sure. But the characters in the anime will probably keep being named Pokabu and Mijumaru in my head xD

It's different with these new Kalos pokémon, since I heard their names in English long before I watched the anime in Japanese.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
When it comes to pokemon, I prefer dubbed because I can never find a good site with subbed pokemon. Most other animes, I watch sub, but still watch the dub. Also the name of the pokemon are so different it is hard to keep track. I at least for me, because I know mostly every pokemon by memory.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Oh sub definitely! Most of the characters' voices in the dubbed are too high and annoying in my opinion.

Back