• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sub or Dub?

Years
  • I mostly go for subs mainly because older English Dubs are just really bad. I feel like Japanese VA just invoke more feelings. There are some great English Dubs(Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Baccano!), but at least for now there aren't that many. But recently there has been an increase in English Dubs quality wise, which is great news.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Though we technically haven't heard your opinion here. Even though most of the regulars already know your stance.
    But yeah, your respond to this topic is quite predictable to the A&M regulars. =w=
    I didn't even plan to reply.
    I already said everything too many times.
    Repeating everything once again is too much of a pain to do.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I prefer Dub over Sub whenever possible. I absolutely generally don't like subtitles overall in anything because I find them kinda distracting. The only times I'll watch an anime in sub is if it is more convenient, if the dub is really, really bad, or if I already watched a good amount subbed (If I watch like an episode or two subbed on, let's say Hulu, and then find out that Netflix has the dubbed version, I'll stick to the subbed version because I got used to it.).

Last edited:

Shdwj

Excuse me?
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2016
    It depends on the series for me as well, but I usually find myself watching anime subbed. Many times--especially with slice-of-life and rom-coms--the humor of certain scenes isn't transferred over well from sub to dub. It could be the English voice actors or the tone certain phrases are said in the subs, but I generally find subs to be a lot more funny than dubs. :3

Blurryface

Cheer up, baby.
    Years
  • DEFINITELY subs. I feel like you capture more of the essence of the anime in subs, dubs removes the emotion that the anime has. If I can't find any subs for an anime I'm dying to watch then I'll settle for the dub, but I do feel that subs are more emotion-capturing than dubs.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Subs. I'm kind of tired of listening to the same dub actors horribly fail at sounding "cutesy" or "macho."

Years
  • Suuub. I highly prefer watching things in their original language and the Japanese versions tend to sound more "alive" and not as devoid of emotion as a lot of dubs I've seen, especially since I've grown so used to them. There are some amazing dubs out there though, namely Soul Eater and Durarara!! among a few others.. those I can watch in English again and again ahah. But if given a choice I will always go with sub.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Funny enough when I first started watching anime I watched Death Note, Blue Exorcist and some of Bleach in dubs but now that I've been watching anime for a few years I just can't stand dubs, Most of the voice acting is just awful and for me it kind of takes away from the anime, especially with horror animes, the level of intensiveness just seems to drop when it's dubbed. Now I can only watch animes subbed.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • So many dubs fan, I can't hide my surprise.
    It didn't surprise me that much. Most people who posted here aren't A&M regulars.
    Almost every A&M regular is a sub watcher.
    Since you spend most time among A&M regulars in this section, you would obviously expect subs to be prevalent =D
    I kinda expected many dub lovers due to many people being English-natives here on PC =)

Back