• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sub vs Dub

Do watch DUB/SUB animes of your favorite

• Dub

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Sub

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Why is there no choice for raw? :P

But yeah, otherwise, subs are my favorite. I went to Otakon 20 last summer, and we had to watch Hakuouki in English dubs because some lazy guy in the audience requested it.

It was really bad, and it was the first time my brother ever watched anime. Sometimes you just can't create the proper effect in a dub. Some things come out sounding really weird.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I generally prefer sub over dub. The dub voices just never quite fit the character and they don't really capture their personalities. It's probably because dubbing companies have a limited number of voice actors to choose from.

This is what bothers me a lot about dubs. I mean, it happens in subs too of course, but never as much.

When you watch anime dubbed and you find the same 20 people dubbing 160 animes. Why.
Some people don't mind hearing the same voices in every single anime dub but for me, I picture the character...as a character. Their own character with their own personality and speech. Not "character A sounds just like character B and character B and A sound EXACTLY like character D over in that anime."

The only reason I don't mind if an actor/actress can change their voices so each character they voice don't sound like clones of each other. In general, that's just good voice acting anyways.

Years
I've only started watching anime somewhat recently, and so far i like subs more and since im dutch subtitles arent very odd for me to see. on occasion i want some dubs (but mostly because at those times im lazy and not in the mood to think)

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
Years
It depends on the anime. If the dub butchers the show, I'll gladly take subs. However if the dub is decent, I'll give it a chance. Overall, I probably watch subbed anime more.

Years
I don't mind either if I have no particular choice one way or the other, but I definitely prefer dubbed. Like a few people have said in this thread, I usually watch while doing something else (even if the majority of my focus is on the anime itself) so it's much easier to have dubbed. I've even grown to like a few VAs like Greg Ayres who did a good job bringing the humour to characters such as Sunohara and Tomoko in Clannad and Heaven's Lost Property respectively. I'm opting to watch the second season of the latter in a lower quality (which goes against all my beliefs) just to keep up with the dub too.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I'm usually alright with both. Last year, I decided to watch Naruto, since I'd never seen it before. I watched the whole show without skipping an episode all summer long. When I reached the point where there were no more English dubs, I decided to just watch the subbed version onward. I lean more toward the Jap version than I do the English, but I have experienced both. I did the same for sword art online. I watched the first three episodes in English, then the rest were in Japanese. This is all because I am impatient I guess. A lot of it might have to do with the fact that I have began to study Japanese language, and the sub usually helps me learn new words.

Years
Personally, I'm okay with both subs and dubs.
Though I mainly watch dubs, I will watch anime with subs if it's my only choice and if I feel like reading them. I actually have watched a few clips of Lucky Star with subs, but when it comes to full episodes of it, I watch the dub. I also watched the first episode of Madoka Magica subbed.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
There were a few dubs I really liked in the past like Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Zatch Bell and a few more. However, the majority of anime I prefer watching subbed, because the dubs are done poorly (like with Fairy Tail and even Pokemon at times). It also depends on what I'm doing, like if I'm multitasking I'll watch my anime dubbed, but if I'm watching subbed then I focus on the anime.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
I usually just watch with subtitles because it's more convenient in a way? Like most websites don't have episodes dubbed unless it's a company's website, and even then you might have to wait weeks for new episodes.

The one exception is Fruits Basket, I've always got to watch the English dub because the character's voices just don't sound right to me in Japanese. But I'll watch Durarara!! in English and Japanese, I can switch languages every other episode and not mind at all.

Back