• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Such a huge question

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    Ok I'm trying to collect right. So I have been buying this type of issues. So I start off with this one:

Such a huge question

Then I saw this:

Such a huge question

Then this:

Such a huge question

Can someone please explain all these volume ones to me and tell me what's what? Is there a specific type I should be following or something? The third one seems to have a lot of volumes. I don't know just please help if you can.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Oh Grimsg...

So, a long, long time ago, manga companies like Viz used to release single chapters of manga in these little booklets that were really similar to the single-issue releases for American comics (the first two you showed); they would also release the full volume "trade paperback" (the last one you showed) that basically compiles all the single chapters into one. These full volumes ARE available in America, contrary to what Grimsg said. If you are looking to collect, you should go for full volumes-- they cost less in the long run and they're MUCH easier to find considering that they were much more widely circulated. Now, considering that the full volumes are out of print in the States, it's not going to be THAT easy, but if you search around (internet; I actually found a lot over random bookstores) you should be able to find some.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2009
    The first one was one of the single-issue thingies.

The second one was the Viz addition of the full volume.

The third one was the Chuang Yi addition of the full volume.

I would reccommend getting the Chuang Yi versions, they are exactly the same and are cheaper, especially if you want to get the whole series at a time. (The Viz is out of print, so you would have a hard time getting more than one at one time and place, plus Viz only goes up to volume seven.) the But if you're just collecting for the sake of collecting, get the Viz or the individual issues if you can manage to find them in good condition, because they're rarer.

If you want, you can get some of the Viz volumes and some of the Chuang Yi volumes, since the inside content is exactly the same. Though it's kind of hard to tell which comes first with Viz. The first three Viz ones are Desperado Pikachu, Legendary Pokemon, and Saffron City Seige in order, but I dunno the other four...

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    I the fourth one is yellow caborello and thanks everyone. I'm definetely going after the Chuang Yi versions because I do want to be a serious collector. Now are you sure that version doesn't have anyone saying the f word or the d word or the b word or anything like that? I just saw the johto scan where jimmy just said the d word.

Back