• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggested New Types

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    First of all, heracross can easily destroy any non-legendary psychic type... has a high sp.def, and endure+salac > psychics.

Personally I HATE having light types. I do have reasons... Pokemon is always directed as a KIDS GAME. So leave the good vs evil junk for english class or Final Fantasy. Also, look at what are the "dark" moves... they aren't "EVIL". As evil as "dark" moves get is probably pursuit which is just chasing people... so let's not draw a "light" type to make it "evil vs good"... don't draw such a parallel. Perhaps a much needed re-wording is needed to the word "light" to make it less "holy."

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Hmm.. Isn't wind and flying basically the same? Oo;

Anyways, maybe there should be a Jewelry type or sumthing like that? If ye catch a jewel type pokemon, yall can sell it for millions XP

*dies*

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    Just wondering; why do we have both Ground and Rock types? This came to mind when it was mentioned that Wind and Flying are similar. And Dark should have been called Night type or soemthing. Wait, then people would argue for a Day type. Hrm...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Well if there's a day/night type, then all Pokemon will fall into either one and such a description is too broad... ^_^;

Personally I find rock/ground to be the same in terms of logic... really rock type is lacking in movepools (okay so we got ancientpower and rock slide... rock throw as the ingame rock move... there's the useless TM Rock tomb... err... whatelse?), and afterall rock becomes sand which is part of ground eventually... However, too late to take it out now as it has established itself as part of the metagame already...

Pine

~Yummers~
    Years
    Oh frostweaver, trying to sort out the endless list of impossible suggestions...I'll try to help too. But first I must tell you (all of you in fact) this:

Light type should exist because it is the opposite of dark, and darkness cannot exist without light, because everything that can be described as an adjetive must have an opposite. Also, many *cough*idiots*cough* in the distant past who were afraid of the dark ended up labeling it 'evil', when it's just as bad or good as light. It's just that we are afraid when we can't see (which makes me wonder about dark having an advantage over psychic, when phychic is the mind stuff which is actually calmed and increased by silence and darkness, but I guess the reality of it now is also to blame on those idiots from the past) or understand something, so we end up saying it's bad. Then it gets blown out of proportion with all kinds of stuff. Finally, I would like to say that it really shouldn't be good vs evil, when evil is one of those 'extremes' when good is...well...not extreme. It's more like good vs bad and holy vs evil (and holy is not a religious word, it's just used a lot in religion because it basically means pure and flawless), but those idiots (again? they're messing up the world, man :P) wanted to make the 'fight' cooler so they made the bad more intense by making it evil.

So, here are my favorite new ones:
    Light (obviously)
    Crystal (doubting a bit, I must admit)
    and Space

And frostweaver, psychic is actually powers of the mind, as I might have already mentioned, so space is an open category.

Cosmic doesn't work either, and here's why:
    Defenition. The other part of the defenition is that it also means 'peaceful and harmonious,' which is almost the complete opposite of what goes on in space.

Off topic-Frostweaver, tell me if I'm wrong but...your avatar...is that a pheonix from the Age of Mythology game?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    my avatar: warcraft 3 phoenix summon... it is a phoenix, but not from AoM ;p

well let's start with the simpler arguments first...

regarding dark being strong against psychic... I guess that they must be thinking that their minds are so "dark" that it's "unclear" (dark isn't evil... it just means mysterious in this case) that even Pokemon with psychic powers can't detect their thoughts, thus resulting in the advantage... but then again, as if bug being strong against psychic made sense anyway... or psychic against poison...

Psychic is "originally" (and according to literla definition) power of the mind... but then the invention of cosmic power certainly linked Psychic types to be in control of any mysterious powers. And how does running faster (agility) part of the 'mind?' Agility sounds to be very physically related to me... yet it's psychic o.o;

Now the dark vs light thing...

First of all, holy IS are religious terms, as no one is ever flawless and perfect unless it's a higher deity of some sort. The term "holy" is sometimes used to describe a person only in the sense that "as if a higher deity is guarding this human being." Holy is quite strictly religion related only. Not that this relates to Pokemon or anything, but I just want to point that out.

Dark is not the opposite of light. It is a very confusing matter, and what you say does seem to be true, except one scenario is forgotton. We always say that darkness is the absense of light, where light is the absense of dark. It seems that they define one another, and therefore, must be opposite, like "good vs bad, righteousness vs evilness and etc." However, try lighting up a match in a dark room, then you see both light and dark... Light has a strange property that "darkness" do not have. Light can exist in a room of darkness. In a dark room, you will see light even if the light is dim. However, in a room of complete darkness, you cannot possibly have "darkness" without removing the source of light. Therefore, from this simple scenario, we solve the impression that light doesn't "equal" to darkness in every way, as light has different properties compare to darkness in some special cases. So, just because one exist, the other one doesn't necessary have to exist, because not all the time do they share the exact properties the other one processes.

Another example: your eyes. In a room of "darkness," sometimes you cannot see anything... however, after awhile your eyes will adjust, and will pick up the faint and dim amount of light in the room and you can still see something at the end. There are of course cases of truly complete darkness, but the point is: what appears to be complete darkness, still has pieces of light within. However, in a room filled with light, you cannot possibly find darkness except darkness is hiding... so another example where they do not share the same properties.

Light and Dark = "Good vs Evil?"

On top of what Pine said, it is correct... we do associate different things with different images due to the past. However, I wonder why the chances of meeting a theif in the nighttime in a dark alleyway is much greater than meeting a theif in broad daylight in the middle of Wall Street? There are times where those "stereotypes" are drawn quite correctly. Even though over-generalization is involved, I'll rather believe in those stereotypes and not walk around in dark alleyways at night in order to be safe you know? Plus, the fact that "white light" is the absense of all colors, while "black/darkness" is the mixture of all colors are symbolic to this belief too... white light are "pure" as it really reflects all colors, while black/darkness absorbs all which reflects it as a mixture of chaos... this symbolism also supports that by auto-default, dark = "more evil than light", and white/light = "better than dark."

If they don't share the exact properties, then do not try to draw a parallel between them... And if we've come to the agreement that "righteous/good vs evil" shouldn't be involved in Pokemon, then leave light types out of this... or at least, reword "light" type to something else...

*too tired at night... didn't proofread and not sure if this made sense... i'll check... tomorrow*

Pine

~Yummers~
    Years
    Pffh, It's okay frostweaver. I only found one spelling error. I still think that it should be good vs bad and not evil, because evil is somewhat extreme.

So the thing about darkness not existing in a room of light...that would mean...have you ever read any of the theories about the rumoured(spelling?) dark matter (you know, darkness that has similar properties to light)? That would mean that IT would be the opposite of light...hmm...It makes sense...in somewhat of a sci-fi way :P

Oh, pokeglitch and eliana, you're also big moment and deep conversation wreckers :P

Hmm...what if there was an insider club on PC for discussions rather than random thoughts...intriguing......

Pine

~Yummers~
    Years
    Shadow type-dark type
    Air type-flying type

Enough said. Now let's think up some realistic ideas (upset because only frostweaver knows what I mean by 'big moment and deep conversation wreckers')

Back