• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • Thanks, Mister Lynch.

I do firmly believe because I recall my own difficulty thinking straight during depression, that a very common symptom of suicidal depression is a sort of tunnel vision that makes it difficult to think of things outside the end of the tunnel, being suicide. This is why guilt tripping people DOES NOT WORK. While you can create a light spot in the tunnel by guilt tripping, that light merely irritates and doesn't eliminate the tunnel vision.

See, the whole selfish argument is really bad, because it does not work, at all. How is it right if it doesn't solve the problem? It's self-evident that it doesn't because suicide is still a problem.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Than I guess you need to learn how to read.

You're right, sorry. You lack knowledge, maturity, and life experience.

Because you have none.

Oh yes, the fact that I was almost raped, never had a single friend I could count on, have accomplished nothing noteworthy, I'm probably not going to finish college, have a job that depresses me, I've never done anything but cause pain to those I know, is all really whiny.

....Thanks, I was in a bad enough mood. Slitting my wrists has always been a scary idea, but I think you just gave me the courage, plus I wont' have to deal with this anymore. Thanks! I hope I do die this time!

For the love of God.

1. I've read quite a few of his posts, and they are all well thought out and concise. That's more than I can say about the few of yours I have read. Rendering an opinion of his post based solely on his age is ridiculous. You're 21, and from how you're coming off, he doesn't seem to be the one lacking maturity. Age doesn't matter in a debate. As you said, you've had a lot of rough things happen in your life in just 21 years, so saying he's not qualified to have an opinion on this is like giving yourself a slap to the face. Can you really determine what he's gone through in 16 years from two posts, and still keep your view that your posts have validity because you've gone through hardships? Twenty-one and sixteen isn't a big age gap.

2. The way that you've come across during this doesn't bring his knowledge and maturity into questioning, it brings yours into questioning. Saying to him that he lacks life experience shows a lack of maturity and knowledge on your part, by the way.

3. For all you know he has more experience with this than you do. Preemptive judging is a dangerous thing in this sort of setting. You say that you're androgynous-looking. Now how would you like it if someone were to completely discredit you simply because you look different?

Looking at the negative side to everything isn't going to help you at all. Your "poor me" attitude is not going to make anyone want to help you. If you want help, fine. If you just want to whine, there isn't much any of us can do. Do you want us to say "oh, you're right, your life sucks. I would try suicide too if I was in your shoes"? Would you be happy then?

As Mr. Lynch referenced so well, there's a brighter side to life. Your life doesn't have to be this way. Maybe some things in your life are others' faults, but you need to stop blaming other people when your life is in your hands. You always have the power to change your life, so if you want to, do it. If you don't want to, then don't.

Your cowardice is clear. If trying to guilt trip Vendak by saying he's causing you to commit suicide is all you've got, then what do you want from us? If you really want to go commit suicide, then I say more power to you. It's not skin off my nose, as I've said what I need to say to you. I'd obviously prefer you didn't, but like I said, it's your life.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • I have been on the verge of wanting to kill myself because I was being bullied in school and it got so out of hand, I wanted to kill myself.

I hate that people would even think about suicide. My cousin is like that. But he writes music so that's how he gets his anger out.

I think people who are suicidal should find an outlet so they don't kill themselves like poetry or music.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • Let's not turn this into a flame fest. No cussing, name calling, and bashing of opinions. Heed what I keep on saying in these topics: YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE SOMEONE'S OPINION ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS IN A POKEMON FORUM.

Anywho, another bashing and this gets locked immediately and infractions will be handed out.

Dawn

Years
  • In response to the thread that was closed for being too similar to this thread:

Actually, yes, you can survive being shot in the head. It's on record, and I recall that one person, not so long ago, took one point blank and fully recovered.

To be honest, I wouldn't doubt the mouth would severely lower ones chances, though.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30268741/

You also, apparently develop a craving for tea. (I could swear I saw a similar story involving a man who made tea after trying to commit suicide in that manor)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    In response to the thread that was closed for being too similar to this thread:

Actually, yes, you can survive being shot in the head. It's on record, and I recall that one person, not so long ago, took one point blank and fully recovered.

To be honest, I wouldn't doubt the mouth would severely lower ones chances, though.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30268741/

You also, apparently develop a craving for tea. (I could swear I saw a similar story involving a man who made tea after trying to commit suicide in that manor)

Considering there's no actual proof she was shot at point blank, and that she was extemely lucky to survive I'm gonna go ahead and regard the article as invalid. Especially with statements like this from the police

"There's no way she should be alive other than a miracle from God,"

Also being shot in the forehead is completely different from being shot through the roof of your mouth. especially if you angle the gun so the barrel is in your mouth. The recoil, the reciever sliding back and the hammer slamming would do so much damage alone. That''s ignoring the huge trauma that would occur as the force caused by the round discharging and the travelligng round itself. Futhermore imaging the gun in question wasn't a handgun but was say, a popular rifle like the AK47, there'd be zero chance of survival.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Also being shot in the forehead is completely different from being shot through the roof of your mouth. especially if you angle the gun so the barrel is in your mouth. The recoil, the reciever sliding back and the hammer slamming would do so much damage alone. That''s ignoring the huge trauma that would occur as the force caused by the round discharging and the travelligng round itself. Futhermore imaging the gun in question wasn't a handgun but was say, a popular rifle like the AK47, there'd be zero chance of survival.
    The force of the bullet being shot from the barrel would smash their skull to pieces, regardless of if the bullet hit or not, regardless of what gun it was from. Could be a slug gun, the chances of survival would be slim to none. Yes.

Probably more than half the time, the bullet isn't actually what kills a person. It's what Matt mentioned above, but it greatly depends on the size of the caliber and the barrel.

Gun suicides are common, and 90% of the people who attempt suicide via a bullet wound succeed. Just because one person survived doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
  • Considering there's no actual proof she was shot at point blank, and that she was extemely lucky to survive I'm gonna go ahead and regard the article as invalid. Especially with statements like this from the police

I think that's bias of you. :cheeky:

Also being shot in the forehead is completely different from being shot through the roof of your mouth. especially if you angle the gun so the barrel is in your mouth. The recoil, the reciever sliding back and the hammer slamming would do so much damage alone. That''s ignoring the huge trauma that would occur as the force caused by the round discharging and the travelligng round itself. Futhermore imaging the gun in question wasn't a handgun but was say, a popular rifle like the AK47, there'd be zero chance of survival.

*giggle snort*
    You're funny. But...

You know, there's a chance of surviving a nuclear bomb without being anywhere near far enough away from ground zero. In fact, when they dropped them on Japan, people did survive. The chance is never 0.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • You know, there's a chance of surviving a nuclear bomb without being anywhere near far enough away from ground zero. In fact, when they dropped them on Japan, people did survive. The chance is never 0.

They have shows all the time about "I Survived" or different (horrendous) things that have happened to people, and they survived. It's really quite amazing. As a scientist, I can't truly accept the idea that the "human will" can keep someone alive, even after being shot in the head, stabbed dozens of times, or whatnot, but I gotta admit... that does seem to be the case sometimes. haha

I also find it amazing (and terribly ironic) that someone can survive, say, a bear mauling where the bear cracked open the guy's skull with his mouth (the so-called "death blow"), while other people can go into a coma and die from falling down the stairs.

Sure is a funky old world, ain't it?

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • You have a choice, every single breath that you take and every second that ticks is part of it. In the next second I could get shot by a sniper, the next breath might not come out of my lips. I can lie down so I can't be targeted, I can force myself to breath, or I could glue a bullseye to my head and hold my breath.

Suicide is cowerdice, and selfish. If you want to die, join the army. Go and protect the people you love, die like a hero, and then someone who doesn't want to die might not have to. My grandparents have lived around 65 years, if they can survive all of this, all the things that we go through, then so can anybody else. Just because you've ruined something doesn't mean you wont live on.

If you screw everything up 100%, then stow away on a boat and never tell anybody, change your name and become a new person. Nobody considers that a possibility.

There is never a good reason to kill yourself. Live like a hero. Spend every day whispering to youself 'I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad' until it becomes the truth, and trust me, it will.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I think that's bias of you. :cheeky:

*giggle snort*
    You're funny. But...

You know, there's a chance of surviving a nuclear bomb without being anywhere near far enough away from ground zero. In fact, when they dropped them on Japan, people did survive. The chance is never 0.

I'd be really, really interested to see a guy survive without the top of his head, however here's generally what happens when a bullet goes through your brain. You die.

Not for the faint hearted.
    Spoiler:

Sure looks like it would be possible to survive eh?

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • Not going to refute anything until I give my own opinion...and I'm still watching this thread >:<

Unless you're in a zombie apocalypse, I really think there's no reason for you to kill yourself.
    For all those who have thought about suicide.

Look at you, you have a computer.
    You're not persecuted.
    You're being fed.
    You're probably going to school.
    You have a house.
    You probably have a gaming system.
    You aren't wanted by police or the government.

Have you heard of the Invisible Children in Africa? Stolen out of their homes, they're trained to fight for a militia until they die. If they try to escape, they're mauled but have to return. Therefore you have groups of children hiding underneath things in cities whenever the militia is in the area...sometimes they kill the entire family and then take the sons. Is your life as bad as that?
    Have your parents turned you out on the street yet or sold you to prostitution? Are you severely beaten every day or raped?

No? Well then look at it this way. Someone in this world envies the life you have. Someone out there wishes they were you and would do everything they could to make your life more fulfilling if they were in your shoes. Why don't you or someone thinking of suicide take that initiative? I do think suicide is selfish and self-absorbed. The world isn't about you, it's about what you do with your life. If you end it, you ruin the chances of ever getting anywhere right there. Your life could have changed, you were just to craven to see.

@Fox and others: The topic isn't if you'll survive in XYZ situation.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Just because you've ruined something doesn't mean you wont live on.

Well seeing as the majority of people who commit suicide are the victims of mental ilness... no I don't think people genuinely considering suicide can think "Tum-tee-tum, ain't life just dandy!" and stick with that mentality. To combat suicide governments must invest more in mental healthcare not just tell people to grin and bear it.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    There is never a good reason to kill yourself. Live like a hero. Spend every day whispering to youself 'I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad' until it becomes the truth, and trust me, it will.

You obviously have literally no understanding of what depression is do you? It's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, it's not just the same as "being sad". A person with depression saying "I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad" would be the same as an insane person saying "I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy". It won't make any difference to the chemical levels in your brain.

The only way out of depression is to see either a doctor or psychiatrist. Or both. You can't just "talk yourself out of it".

Dawn

Years
  • I'd be really, really interested to see a guy survive without the top of his head, however here's generally what happens when a bullet goes through your brain. You die.

Not for the faint hearted.
    Spoiler:

Sure looks like it would be possible to survive eh?

I'm not clicking on that... red flags just went off in my head.

Y'know I'm underage and my parents would probably freak if they saw me watching what I think that is?

Tell me that is not a video of someone being shot. :cer_eek:

I also qualify as "faint of heart".

If you won't restrict yourself to text as opposed to images or video, I'm afraid I'm going to have to politely step out of this particular discussion. Then again, it has gotten a bit off topic from the original question of whether there is a painless suicide. Perhaps VM / PM is in order. Sorry Chibi ^_^;

You obviously have literally no understanding of what depression is do you? It's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, it's not just the same as "being sad". A person with depression saying "I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad" would be the same as an insane person saying "I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy". It won't make any difference to the chemical levels in your brain.

The only way out of depression is to see either a doctor or psychiatrist. Or both. You can't just "talk yourself out of it".

I'd half disagree in that talking can help under some circumstances. While I understand there is supposedly an underlying chemical problem I do believe it is not that simple either.

Last edited:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'm not clicking on that... red flags just went off in my head.

Y'know I'm underage and my parents would probably freak if they saw me watching what I think that is?

Tell me that is not a video of someone being shot. :cer_eek:

I also qualify as "faint of heart".

I watched it out of curiosity and it's really not as horrifying as it sounds, it's the video of JFK's assassination. You don't really see much, just a cloud of pinky-red before he slumps down.

No you would not survive that

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • You obviously have literally no understanding of what depression is do you? It's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, it's not just the same as "being sad". A person with depression saying "I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad" would be the same as an insane person saying "I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy". It won't make any difference to the chemical levels in your brain.

^^ Listen to him. The man knows what he's talking about.

This brings me careering on to my next question; how does the lack of a nationalised health service in your country (wherever it is, except the UK and the Scandinavian countries) affect mental health? I am aware that in the US psychiatrists cost an absolute fortune to see. It's always interesting to find out about other countries

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • You obviously have literally no understanding of what depression is do you? It's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, it's not just the same as "being sad". A person with depression saying "I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad" would be the same as an insane person saying "I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy". It won't make any difference to the chemical levels in your brain.

I agree 100%. Most of the time, it is caused by a chemical imbalance from the statistical norm (since this stuff isn't exactly an exact science; there's no "standard" to run on with "happiness"). However, the "life isn't that bad" argument could work with the occasional stock broker looking out his window.

Now I'm curious... is mental health diagnosis and medication covered by insurance? I sure hope so.

In reality, though, we all have a certain deviation from what is considered "normal". In fact, the word "normal", in my opinion, is obsolete. If we truly examine ourselves, and our habits, I'm sure each of us can see at least a minute detection of some mental illness, be it depression, or paranoia, or obsessive-compulsive, or even hypochondria.

It's the degree of this that counts. I guess, for the mathematicians out there, it would determined by the standard deviation of the normal distribution, if this kind of stuff can actually be set to numbers.

Back