• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
Years
  • You obviously have literally no understanding of what depression is do you? It's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, it's not just the same as "being sad". A person with depression saying "I ain't sad, I ain't said, I ain't sad" would be the same as an insane person saying "I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy, I ain't crazy". It won't make any difference to the chemical levels in your brain.

The only way out of depression is to see either a doctor or psychiatrist. Or both. You can't just "talk yourself out of it".

*Shrug*
    Psychiatrists only made things worse for my friend, and doctors told her what she already knew. It took convincing that her life was worth living to snap her out of it. You clearly have no idea what the human brain can do.

EDIT: Oh and, for the record, I told my friend more or less the exact same thing when she was suffering with depression. Guess who's happy and breathing on the bed opposite me? She went back to the doctors and they said it was gone, no pills, nothing. Just a little will power.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • *Shrug*
    Psychiatrists only made things worse for my friend, and doctors told her what she already knew. It took convincing that her life was worth living to snap her out of it. You clearly have no idea what the human brain can do.

EDIT: Oh and, for the record, I told my friend more or less the exact same thing when she was suffering with depression. Guess who's happy and breathing on the bed opposite me? She went back to the doctors and they said it was gone, no pills, nothing. Just a little will power.

But getting over that by yourself (Without a friend to tell you life's worth living) it's not likely anything's going to change. The friend could be seen as a personal psychiatrist, no?

Suicide can be a selfish thing and it can be a weak thing but seriously some people have it harder than most of us could even imagine. I have a damn easy life and I know it... I live at home, not paying board, barely working 30 hours a week and being able to do w.e I want when I'm not at work. I've considered suicide out of sheer lack of motivation, I just don't see any point in life sometimes. The fact that I never go through with it makes me wonder just how crap people who actually do it feel <Although I hope I never know :3

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
    Years
  • Is suicide always selfish? Often you only miss something once its gone, but you don't care about it while you have it. Take for instance the elderly who are sometimes tucked away in some convalescent home and their family never visits them.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • Yes, suicide is always a selfish act. There is nothing that is so bad in your life that you must be forced to kill yourself to get away from it. There is always somebody worse off than you, life is tough and you have to deal with problems that come your way, rather then being a coward and taking the easy way out.

I apologise to those that have friends, family or know people that have done this, and you must understand that I mean no offence. It is merely my opinion, and I have no respect for those that take their own lives.

candracar272

That person
    Years
  • ...This is a really interesting topic here. Thanks for putting it up.

I can see why many people see suicide as a selfish act, but I've had several discussions on the topic with my mom on this subject and I've come to the belief that it's a cry for help more than anything. They don't want to die- they just want the pain to stop, and they see no other way of ceasing it. They need someone to help them get what they need to see that the pain will go away eventually. I'm fortunate to not have had anyone close to me commit suicide, and I've already come to the decision myself that there's too much I want to do to end my life early.

Condolences for those who have lost loved ones from suicide.

UltimaSilva

Varsity Quarterback
    Years
  • If you commit suicide at a young age then you never know what you could've done for the world. You might have been the one that found a cure for the deadliest parasite in the world, and without you it might've destroyed entire cities. No one is unimportant in this world. Ever.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Just a thought - say you know someone who's suicidal. And that person really does hate their life and desperately wish to die. Would it be selfish of you to want them to stay alive? If that person actually does want to be dead... doesn't it kind of seem equally selfish for you to be all worried and depressed about it? They aren't living for the sake of your happiness, after all... Would you really rather them live on in distress and sorrow, so you could have peace of mind?

... I myself don't know or care. Just putting it out there.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • It still makes you weak that you can't face your problems.

There are video game villains based on this type of sick attitude, Diglett.

Who is "you" and why are you talking to them in the thread? ._. I think perhaps you're making your arguments way too personal, seeing as nobody in this thread is talking about wanting to commit suicide as I see it.

Point being, weakness =/= wrong

Also
    @ Thread : Calling suicide selfish is an excuse not to deal with the problem. It in itself is selfish. TL;DR overused politically incorrect argument is overused

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I can confidently say that I've come pretty close to killing myself when I was 17. I've also lost a friend I knew all the way from childhood to suicide... So here is my little take. People who are thinking about killing themselves are thinking in a very distorted fashion. It's crazy to think they are considering how this desicion will affect their loved ones, legacy, etc. Of course it is selfish, but when everyday is just an agonizing redramatization of the painful one before, they rationalize suicide as a more and more viable option (as the pain gets worse.)

So you have to forgive people that commit suicide. It's a terrible thing to feel as lonely as someone does before they follow through on that horrible impulse. Whoever was saying "I know this chick who deserves to die, etc", is a moron. There were plenty of people who pissed me off through school, but none of them deserved to die... In fact, many of those people ended up changing completely.

Suicide is the most senseless act ever. I wish more people would reach out. I also wish more people would be receptive to those in pain. Just my thoughts.

(P.S. wow, alot of incompassionate musing on this thread. Some of you guys are pretty young to be making such harsh judgements... We'll see if your hard ass, spartan esque ideologies hold when you get pulled off your moms tit.)

Last edited:
    Back