• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicune, fwee

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • Cool. I like Suicune. The shading is great, the background is simple but it makes the colors stand out, and the pose is original. I envy you and your skills.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
  • Wow! I love how.... dynamic the shading is o_o that's incredible. <3 It's a neat pose too! I love it |D

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    It's a decent effort, but the shading doesn't really make any sense. It's just kinda coming from all directions and only striking certain areas in random amounts. Don't make form and lighting an afterthought.

Years
  • It's a decent effort, but the shading doesn't really make any sense. It's just kinda coming from all directions and only striking certain areas in random amounts. Don't make form and lighting an afterthought.
    Well, to be honest, it wasn't an afterthought at all, as I planned it out carefully--it just means I'm apparently not the greatest at visualizing things like that. And I dunno what you mean by random amounts...maybe you could give an example of how to go at it? This was the rough draft: https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6818/suicuneoutlinesyf2.png

~Chibi~

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I can't really tell where the light source is. Your rough draft suggests that it's coming from the upper right, but it seems to randomly stop hitting it in certain areas, and there seems to be some light coming from the left hitting the visible hind leg, but said light doesn't seem to be apparent anywhere else. The implied lighting is all vague at best.

Years
  • I can't really tell where the light source is. Your rough draft suggests that it's coming from the upper right, but it seems to randomly stop hitting it in certain areas, and there seems to be some light coming from the left hitting the visible hind leg, but said light doesn't seem to be apparent anywhere else. The implied lighting is all vague at best.
    Alright, I get the part about the visible hind leg. But as far as where the light stops hitting...the front part of the mane, and the chest are areas where I can sort of see it...and if I lowered the shadow along its side, and from the mane overlapping, it might fix a few things.

Edit: new shading plan--does this fix things (changes in neon green): https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3615/suicuneoutlines2hg2.png That should let more light through.

~Chibi~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I don't really understand your edit, so I whipped up a (very) rough edit to better convey the issues with shading that you have. It's not perfect (or complete), but I think it can give you a better idea as to how to take lighting into consideration:

Suicune, fwee

PS. Have you read this tutorial before? I think you might be able to learn from it.

Last edited:
    Back