• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Suikoden: The False God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
  • Suikoden: The False God
    PATCH OF POKEMON RUBY VERSION (U) AXVE
    A Corvidae (Crazybuizel) Hack

Summary:

The purpose of this hack is to creatively use Pokémon's engine to replicate the engine of another (unfortunately less known) series, Suikoden.

At this point in the beta, you can reach partly through Terren Pass. I changed the warps so you cannot proceed past this area, since it is not finished.

Instead of catching Pokémon, you recruit characters, known formally as "Stars of Destiny". As the hack proceeds in development, there will be a total of 108 characters for you to recruit. Unlike the original Suikodens however, all of these characters can enter combat, but some will be more support oriented than others.

The game will feature characters from the first three titles in the series, and is a sequel to the events of the third title. At this point, you play as either Caesar or Apple, who live on the southwestern tip of Dunan Republic
    . Some strange events occurring with the weather patterns have been worrying Harmonian officials and they sent Nash and Sasarai to obtain some knowledge on the subject. Nash, of course, heads to your place to talk about it, since he knows Caesar and Apple know a lot about the location of the origin of these strange weather anomalies - Cyndar Ruins.

So, Caesar, Apple, Nash and Sasarai pack their bags and head to Cyndar. It's a good thing they live where they live because they can cut right across Terren Pass to get to Grassland, making the trip a cinch. Of course, what they witness at the ruins is nothing what they expected...

Things currently implemented:

• New Voicegroup
    • New Music
    • Cries removed
    • Many moves changed
    • Elements changed (I'll post a matchup list later)
    • Healing at an inn costs you money (HAHAHAHAHA)
    • The music box makes a most triumpant return

Things that hopefully will be implemented:

• Using the EV system to boost stats through a blacksmith/armour vendor
    • Duels and Wars
    • Cooking Challenge!
    • Appraisal and decorating your castle
    • Speaking of which... a castle.
    • Lots and lots of fun stuff with ASM...

Screenshots (V. 0.3)

9qgyhf.jpg
    rjdsfd.jpg

207lqps.jpg
    xor71k.jpg

Artwork:
    Spoiler:

Videos:
    Spoiler:

Download(s):

V. 0.3 (Beta) Mediafire

Confirmed characters (not in order; artwork courtesy of Konami)

Mechanics Ideas
    Spoiler:

Faq - please read this before posting!!

QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO POKEMON JUPITER

Q: Whatever happened to Pokémon Jupiter?!

A: It has officially been canceled by me. This means that, with my express permission, you are allowed to use any characters featured in that game, as well as any original music. However, many concepts I'm using in this hack and thus I will not release their secrets (because I'm a meanie poopoo head!)

If you would like to continue it, please let me know and I will provide a patch. The hack is VERY buggy which is a big reason why I discontinued it, but if you really want to, give me a PM.

Q: IT'S NOT POKEMON JUPITER SO IT SUCKS

A: >_>

QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO SUIKODEN: THE FALSE GOD
    Q: What the kablooey?! I thought you said this was a Pokémon hack!
    A: Well, yes it is one, a hack of Pokémon Ruby. But the idea with this hack isn't to make a new cool Pokémon game. It's to use Pokémon's versatle engine to emulate a different RPG game, Suikoden.

Q: [insert thing here] looks funny, why?

A: This is a very early beta. Things will obviously be changed (the title screen for one!). Nash's battle sprite hasn't been put in yet, not have most of the overworld sprites. The portraits are obviously betas, and I'll be redrawing them.

If you want to help with spriting, please let me know, but do know that I need very very particular sprites in this title.

I will NOT be accepting help for mapping, even though I know my mapping skills are not great. The reason is is because oftentimes I use maps in conjunction with complicated scripts, and I worry that if someone who doesn't understand how these scripts work, they might make a great map that completely negates the purpose of that script. So please, NO REQUESTS FOR MAPPING. However, pointing out errors (with screenshots) and suggestions are fine.

Q: Which ROM is needed to patch this hack properly?
    A: Pokemon Ruby (U) - AXVE. I can't remember ROM codes for the life of me.

Q: How often are betas released?
    A: New playable "beta" patches should be available every 1 or 2 weeks.

QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO MECHANICS OF SUIKODEN: THE FALSE GOD

Q: Mind posting the type matchups?
    A: There are two main "circles" of types.

Earth is good against Lightning, it nullifies its effect.

Lightning is good against Water, since water conducts electricity.
    Water is good against Fire, since water douses fire.
    Fire is good against Wind, since wind fuels fire.
    Wind is good against Earth, since wind blows earth away.

Light is good against Darkness, since light breaks darkness.

Darkness is good against Soul, since darkness can consume the soul. Also because of soul eater.
    Soul is good against Light, since soul can pierce through the light.

Neutral has no alignment and has neutrality against all elements. No monster, nor star, is neutral. If you have a type that's normally weak against the opponent, use Neutral attacks to take them down quickly.

If an attack is good against a type, it does 2x damage, and if its bad against a type, it does .5x damage, just like in the regular Pokemon games. However, if an attack is the same type as the defending monster, it does only .7x damage.

Some additional special types exist among bosses that change these types, but these bosses are few and far in between.

There are more Neutral type attacks than "magic" attacks, and they tend to do more damage. Magic attacks tend to have more effects associated with them, however. In addition, some of the rarest but strongest attacks are magic-based. Magic attacks rely on Sp. Attack and Defense, while Neutral attacks are based in Attack and Defense.

Q: Are there fakemons in this title?
    A: No. The Pokemon are replaced with monsters and "Stars of Destiny", which are obtainable characters.

QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO SUPPORT OF SUIKODEN: THE FALSE GOD

Q: What if I want to support this hack?

A: Here is a set of userbars:
    2ikxron.jpg

If you would like to make one, please post one and you will be credited in the "Special Thanks" section.

Q: What about helping you out with this hack?
    A: You can help out if you want, but you must post a sample of your work. I'm looking for very particular work and so thus there is a high chance you will not get accepted. I AM NOT ACCEPTING ANY MAPPERS, DO NOT ASK. I HAVE MY REASONS AND ITS NOT BECAUSE I THINK I'M THE BEST MAPPER IN THE WORLD.

Q: I've got this great idea pertaining to the story!
    A: If you want to help out on the idea development of Suikoden: The False God, then you can visit here to discuss ideas in the hack. Please, do NOT join the discussion if you don't know anything about Suikoden, haven't played the games, or at least at passing knowledge of the games. This is NOT a hacking team, do not join to try to help with sprites, maps ect. because you WILL be ignored.

QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO SUIKODEN IN GENERAL

Q: What the derp is Suikoden?!

A: Suikoden is a video game RPG series made by Konami. There's a lot of distinguishing characteristics of this game series that separates it from mainstream RPGs, such as the somewhat heavy strategical element, large number of recruits, and many game functions. You might want to read more at Wikipedia or something, or do yourself a favour and play one of the games, because you'll probably enjoy it more that way.

Q: Runes? True Runes?! What's that?!

A: Well, it will be explained in the hack later on, but True Runes are strange sentient objects that have a large amount of power. There's 27 of them. Don't think of them as elemental gods though, think more like the source of magic. In addition, these can be attached to humans to grant them the power of the runes, but being sentient beings and all, they can sometimes effect the human's mind. You can theoretically only have one True Rune attached to one person, but... that might not be so true after all... ;)

A regular rune has its origins from the True Runes and are attached to the body on the right or left hand, or on the forehead. I think the most Pokemon way to explain it is like a TM that forces you to use a specific moveslot... sometimes.

Some True Runes are so mysterious nobody really knows what they do. Examples include Circle, Rune of Change, Eightfold, ect.

SPECIAL THANKS
    2im6o6.jpg
    All those people who make the tools! I love you all so much, but there's too many to list!
    yuber.gif
    tirmcdohl03.gif
    My buddies Drake and Zhigwhich for so many great ideas!
    - Anyone else who supports this hack!

Last edited:

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • LOL I was just looking at your old hack pokemon jupiter yesterday. I'll give this hack a shot, even though I don't know what Suikoden is. Do you want help with some maps I can help?

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Probably not, because I'm not aiming for Pokemon-esque maps. The maps don't connect like normal maps, there's actually an overworld of sorts. I didn't take a film of this particular release but v.0.2 (not available for download) shows this concept well. In addition, some places will be vague remaps of certain places from the Suikoden games, such as Duck Village.

What would actually be more useful at this point would be battle sprites, but I'm looking for a very particular style.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    9qgyhf.jpg

Is that a world map type thing?
    xor71k.jpg

The house looks blank ... u could put some decorations in like a closet or tv or some stuff
    207lqps.jpg

Once again the area is a bit blank ... and the chicken saying cluck ... doesnt tell us much

Overall it seems a good hack
    :)
    Normally i'd compare it to a past time hack put i just never got round to playing jupiter
    and when i did i had the wrong roms -.-
    I like it even though ... yeah i shouldnt write jupiter comments here ;)

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • 9qgyhf.jpg

Is that a world map type thing?
    Exactly that, but more will be added to it. Yeah, trees and mountains sure are boring ;-;

xor71k.jpg

The house looks blank ... u could put some decorations in like a closet or tv or some stuff
    207lqps.jpg

Once again the area is a bit blank ... and the chicken saying cluck ... doesnt tell us much
    Yeah, still working on stuff >_> But... no TVs for that house! This is a fantasy! Hehehe, with dragons and griffons and things like that! It's just that it doesn't look like that yet because I'm a lazy bum and didn't change most sprites.

Overall it seems a good hack
    :)
    Normally i'd compare it to a past time hack put i just never got round to playing jupiter
    and when i did i had the wrong roms -.-
    I like it even though ... yeah i shouldnt write jupiter comments here ;)
    And thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you liked Jupiter, most of the concepts of that hack are going into this one, plus more, so you'll like this one too once it gets some more friction.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Exactly that, but more will be added to it. Yeah, trees and mountains sure are boring ;-;

Yeah, still working on stuff >_> But... no TVs for that house! This is a fantasy! Hehehe, with dragons and griffons and things like that! It's just that it doesn't look like that yet because I'm a lazy bum and didn't change most sprites.

And thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you liked Jupiter, most of the concepts of that hack are going into this one, plus more, so you'll like this one too once it gets some more friction.

Maybe for the world map you could try a golden sun style (...bit hard to do) or final fantasy.

Instead of Tvs have ... scrolls(?) or portraits just sometime to spice it up

Overall i just played the Beta
    was short but u did say it would be. but i got to see the fabulos music at work and the greatness of your hacks

as i said i never could play jupiter D:
    I liked it coz it was based partially on golden sun <3 (GS addict right here ^_^)

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Well this is certainly different from most hacks xD
    I haven't played it yet, and I'm not going to until there is a longer beta or a complete version, but this definitely seems interesting. The titlescreen looks good, so not much to say there. Scripting seems pretty good, the use of mugshots is a nice touch. The only things I'm really not too fond of...are the tiles and maps. The tiles, I know you said you aren't going for a Pokemon style, but they really do need work. They just look...flat, and un-realistic. The mapping definitely needs a lot of work. There are many tile errors, such as bellow the portraits, the bottom half is missing. Also, there are a few palette errors, such as the bottom of the pond not being palette edited, so it still shows the original grass from Ruby. So yeah, those are the only two things I can really see that needs work on right now. Good luck, and hope you finish this :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    This hack inspires me to make a Pokemon hack with Link to the Past graphics. Will definitely be trying this either today or tomorrow, and I will give my feedback. (and that's saying something, because I've only tried very, very few of the other hacks in the showcase)

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Today's Log:

-Right now I'm working on editing Terren Pass to make it a bit lengthier, also adding a boss and a boss battle theme. In addition I'm adding the script for Joshua to join.

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
  • Glad to see you're back in the hacking business. I loved Jupiter and the things you did to it, and I'm really excited to see what you have in plan for this hack.

Good luck.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Calling the Stars of Destiny "Fakemons" is really pushing it, but technically, yes. They're obtainable characters, but you don't catch them. Remember, the purpose of this hack is to emulate the RPG series Suikoden, not to make a new Pokemon game.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • It's very, very short. The next beta will probably get past Terren pass, but not much else.

I'm posting frequent betas just in case some awful bug, like the Leppa bug back in Jupiter, can be fixed with losing little progress. Expect approx. 1-2 weeks between betas. Knowing this can help you decide whether or not to play a beta.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Q: IT'S NOT POKEMON JUPITER SO IT SUCKS
    A: >_>
    It's more like that Jupiter sucked and this rocks !!
    I remember seeing a hack called jupiter version sometime before and don't think it was that amazing or anything - it's clear you've improved from the time when you was making it.
    Anyways, good luck with the project and don't dare to quit ;)

Also, here's my own opinion about the game this far:
    As a hack it's amazing, indeed. Then again, I'm not sure how much I'll like playing it but I'll check this out when you put up the first release even to just see the changes you implemented :)

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Oh, okay, thanks for that. I rushed that map to just get it out there ASAP so that's why. I'm actually making custom tiles for the game, like with Jupiter, so they're just a sort of buffer at the moment. There's not going to be TVs or computers because this is based off of a fantasy title after all... xD

Also... You see this big big map? Yeah. We're having plans to implement the whole thing into the hack.

Because of that we're probably going to be using a different patch method because there's going to be a ton of maps, but I guarantee the extra 16 MB will be worth it.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Oh my days!
    That is a Huuugggeee-assss map!
    I look foward to seeing it in a emualtor ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back