• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suitable English or Internet Slang?

Persona

Banned
    Years
    I prefer a mixture of both. There are a few internet slang terms that I use, such as 'wtf', 'ftw', 'k', 'rite', etc. But mispelling words excessively can get annoying, especially when you realize that someone's mentioning them on purpose. It can depend on who I'm chatting with as well, and where I'm using improper terms.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I spell things in proper english, even when I'm chatting. I do occassionally use acronyms, though. I only use internet speak when I'm being cute.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I tend to use both. I always try to have my English correct even when chatting informally online, but I also use some net slangs such as 'lol' and 'omg'. If I'm lazy and in a hurry I sometimes use abbreviations. :\

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I am a nut when it comes to spelling. I'll always demand that the person does not use slang in anyway. For example, I'll spaz at you for typing "u" instead of "you", you lazy ..guy.

I really like typing well, and not typing in slang. The only slang I'll use is lol, lmao (and all it's variations), omg (and all it's variations) and I think that's about it.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    The only time I use Internet slang is when I'm trying to be facetious. Otherwise, 100% standard English for me, thank you very much.

Nell

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    lol lyke, u guys r n00bs lolol.
    Kidding. The above is just a demonstration of the idiocy that pisses the eff out of me. Seriously, the occasional inter-slang (as I refer to it), is alright, or for laughter-invoking purposes, but someone that talks liek the above constantly? Liek, GTFO?

Years
    For the majority of things I post, I prefer to use proper English. There might be some abbreviations, but even then I tend to type them out instead. I use smilies, but I've cut back compared to what I used in the past.
    I only revert to slang if I'm being weird or something.

MSN... well, that's a different story. I do type things out, but I will use more abbreviations and I get lazy with "ok". And I use a ton of smilies everywhere. XD;

Hakeen

-
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2010
    The only time when I purposely type not proper words is when Tali and I was continually posting in each others FC all n00bishly, ah, that was funny. I use omg and stuff like that but any time my spelling or grammar is incorrect, that's normally just my own stupidity of not knowing how something is meant to be said.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I only really use the abbreviation lol, otherwise I type the rest out in full most of the time. Unless I'm on MSN with my friends, or I'm texting when it's simply much easier to just type in a very shortened form.

Ciervo Volante

Say WHAAAT?
    Years
    The only abbreviations I use are OMG, WTF, and FTW, and I don't even use those that often. So, yeah, proper English 99.9% of the time.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I have always been a huge grammer freak D: I always spell everything properly and put the proper punctuation. The only internet slang I ever really use is- lol or omg!

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I tend to use LOL, WTF to much IRL...LOL. But in business there really hammering us hard not to use these terms, and use straight clear English.

peirateis

This is what's left of us.
    Years
    Lol, wtf, omg, btw, ok, fine. But... it can't all be slang.

Btw (8D), I wrote a paper on this last year for lit. class. xD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I use smilies and I've become accustomed to using different acronyms...mostly just wtf, omg, lol, etc. Little ones. I usually just use them as random exclamations now, not really paying attention to the meaning anymore. XD;

For the most part, I do use proper English online. I...really hate when people can't use proper grammar--especially if English is their first language since then they don't have much of an excuse. Especially in forums, I'll try to use mostly proper English...smilies notwithstanding. :[

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I try to use perfect English where ever I am on the internet but I use the occasional WTF to express how I feel.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I type out all my words of forums and stuff, but on instant messaging, I get lazy and type things like 'omg' 'wtf' 'k' 'gth(means go to hell for those of you who dont live in Florida) 'r' 'u' um... Sometimes I just type emotes on MSN to show what I doing, like the whole (brb) one. Thats one is awesome, cause it shows me flying away! I wish I could fly away!

If you have MSN, type (brb) into your little window thingie and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    Hmm, depends who I'm speaking to and what I'm typing for.

Like for PC, I try not to shorten stuff and do slang. But I can do it in texts and MSN. I would normally do slang for my school friends - not PC members on MSN.

Years
    • Age 59
    • Seen Aug 3, 2019
    Actually, I prefer both. Predominantly suitable English though. Well, there are some abbreviations like "wtf", "omg" or "lol" that I use every now and then, but I usually use them when I feel a little nutty~

Back