• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I dunno if the train in Couriway could be used to get from Alola to Kalos, that would be insane. Like I'm pretty sure the Pokemon World is lile thw real world, meaning it has an entire ocean to span as well as the entirety of Asia and Europe. Sure the land bit is sensical, but the ocean? Just How.

Years
  • It's definitely unlikely the Couriway Town train can get to Alola, especially given it seems Alola is far away from Kalos. I know we've all been hoping for a postgame taking place in Kalos but that's getting more and more unlikely.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'd rather it has nothing to do with Kalos anyway. Better to use all the time and resources to make a more focused and unique region.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I really think Kalos' story is more or less done, to many people's chagrin. This is a new region, with new Pokemon, with new locations to explore, with possibly little to nothing to do with past games.

I agree with you, and while it was rushed and left with nothing much solved, it had been three years so a new generation was due. Hopefully Alola will be able to be remembered more than Kalos in regards to all the mysteries and other backstories.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I too think that the Kalos storyline is not going to be a part of this.. unless you revisit Kalos after Elite Four. But the scene and artwork is way too different to backtrack. But.... does anyone see connection of Alola and Magearna's storyline?

Years
  • I too think that the Kalos storyline is not going to be a part of this.. unless you revisit Kalos after Elite Four. But the scene and artwork is way too different to backtrack. But.... does anyone see connection of Alola and Magearna's storyline?

It would be fun to learn about Magearna, but given its likely status as an event Pokemon it's probably not going to get mentioned at all in-game, like other mythical event Pokemon tend to be.

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
  • It looks small to me as well. But I don't know why they would just show Island one.

Hawaii has 8? Islands I think. Maybe each island is a gym.

The south water route is not blocked. It continues south. This could be to other islands or Kalos. Remember that Masuda said that XY storyline would be wrapped up in a unique way and in the same interview, he said 'flowers'.

Looking at the image, it looks like there is 1 somewhat big town and then maybe 2 small towns.

That sounds awesome! And instead of those terrible HM's, you get different boat tickets from the Gym leaders to travel to a new Island with an new theme/gym!

Years
  • But.... does anyone see connection of Alola and Magearna's storyline?
    Perhaps after all of that technological stuff they go to Alola to 'relax' and get 'off the grid'?

As said, though, it's unlikely they'll have that much of a story-line here, unless they're treated as an in-game Pokémon, because generally Mythical or event Pokémon aren't really going to be 'available' outside of a few chance circumstances, so developing too much plot-line involving them there would be futile. They could still not be treated as exactly unavailable in the games, but if they are then the explicit connections might be rare.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • New trailer came out. The player's house in on the village hill, but still doesn't change the fact that the island is really small. That beach house might be where we go to ask about the next island or something.

As for Magerena, they will probably treat it like they did with Victini, we will get when the games come out from a Wifi event. This could just be the pokemon or a ticket or something we have to take somewhere in the world, similar to how the handled Victini.

Years
  • You know, I think the full map of Alola will be much bigger than what we've seen in the trailer so far. The map we got so far was just in-game footage so we don't know much, but I'm sure there will be more landmass than what was shown.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It'll be this generation's Zoroark. It'll find a way to fit in - even if it is on a remote island nearby dedicated entirely to technology - rejecting the base ideals of Alola and 'nature'. Maybe not in the suspected eight or so islands but one to the side, closer to Kalos (which would bring in Alola > Kalos).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • They might have secondary names, such as Blue Island, ect. Each name could be named after the color of the flower that they use for each island in Hawaii.

Which are these:
    Red Island, Pink Island, Yellow Island, Purple Island, Green Island, White Island, Orange Island and Grey Island.
    These could change a little bit. But it all depends on what they have planned.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we have a 9th island based on Easter Island. Although is is an extremely far distance from Hawaii. The island we have seen would be Yellow Island, which is why the mother and Hala are both wearing yellow flower clothing.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • They might have secondary names, such as Blue Island, ect. Each name could be named after the color of the flower that they use for each island in Hawaii.

Which are these:
    Red Island, Pink Island, Yellow Island, Purple Island, Green Island, White Island, Orange Island and Grey Island.
    These could change a little bit. But it all depends on what they have planned.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we have a 9th island based on Easter Island. Although is is an extremely far distance from Hawaii. The island we have seen would be Yellow Island, which is why the mother and Hala are both wearing yellow flower clothing.

I like this idea. Each island could have a gym corresponding to the colour too i.e Red would be Fire-type, Purple would be Poison-type ect.

Years
  • That would certainly bring us back around to the original games where the cities were named after colors (in the English version) and the badges were colors (in the Japanese version).

Years
  • Alola Region

I think the Alola Region is a lot like the hoenn region, mainly because their both tropical islands. We just played in the hoenn region from OR/AS. Do you guys think there is going to be a twist like Geosenge town in X/Y? Let me know in the comments.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think the Alola Region is a lot like the hoenn region, mainly because their both tropical islands. We just played in the hoenn region from OR/AS. Do you guys think there is going to be a twist like Geosenge town in X/Y? Let me know in the comments.

I don't currently have an idea on that, unless that do it with the "Forbidden Island" in Hawaii. We could visit there early on, but the it completely change. I don't see them going back to basic storyline. I am hoping for a Storyline like we had in BW1 where it was more story driven.

If we do have a town like Geosenge, it will have to be instanced much like Geosenge Town. And currently I do not think we have seen the entire region map. And nothing really sticks out like the rocks in Geosenge town.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Yeah, the main parts of Hawaii are comprised of eight islands, so I can see them putting a Gym on each island. Fire-type gym for the Big Island because of the volcanoes... hey, maybe the Gym Leader could be a volcanologist? Grass-type for Kauai, since Kauai's nickname is the Garden Island. Also going by the astronomical theme for SM, I think that we'll be able to visit the space observatory on Hawaii's highest point, Mauna Kea, which is also on the Big Island. It's also the only place in Hawaii that gets measurable snow amounts, so that could be where we'll get our Ice-type Pokemon in the wild.

Back