• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • I didn't even see the very top right island till now. But I am not 100% sure if that is an island. Although It may be. If it is, it might be a small post game island based on the Easter Island, even though that is far far southeast of Hawaii.

This is my rearranging of Real World Hawaii into Alola. Obviously they have redesigned the some of the islands, but I think this is what they were trying to do.

Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • It seems a bit... small... Like maybe this is all of Alola in it's entirety, however, the islands look like they're jam-packed with adventure and not just full of trees (like all the past regions...)

That town/city that seems to be secured by a large fortress makes me wonder if we will finally get a medieval based city. It gives me feels of Mercado from Dragon Quest I. That big tree gives me a World/Yggdrasil Tree sort of feeling, that would be great in a Pokémon game.

I like the direction they took with this region and I get the feeling there COULD be a second-region in the game... Whether an extension to Alola (four extra islands) or a return to an past region (Kalos, maybe?). The clouds look like they're hiding something...

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is my rearranging of Real World Hawaii into Alola. Obviously they have redesigned the some of the islands, but I think this is what they were trying to do.

Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

It appears the islands look very accurately shaped. Game Freak surely paid attention to detail with this game, right down to the region design and Hawaiian culture itself.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It seems a bit... small... Like maybe this is all of Alola in it's entirety, however, the islands look like they're jam-packed with adventure and not just full of trees (like all the past regions...)

That town/city that seems to be in secured by fortress makes me wonder if we will finally get a medieval based city. It gives me feels of Mercado from Dragon Quest I. That big tree gives me a World/Yggdrasil Tree sort of feeling, that would be great in a Pokémon game.

I like the direction they took with this region and I get the feeling there COULD be a second-region in the game... Whether an extension to Alola (four extra islands) or a return to an past region (Kalos, maybe?). The clouds look like they're hiding something...
    Maybe that Tree will be where we can get Zygarde's formes.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I noticed that there's a large building behind the snow area. Oh no, not another Ice gym leader. This is the 4th time in a row where we have to face them late game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It looks more like a meteorologic / communication station when you look at the HQ picture: https://www.pokebeach.com/news/0616/alola-region.jpg

Ok that is a really amazing map. I can zoom all the way in and take in every detail. Thank you so much for posting that.

That island in the very top corner covered by clouds is definitely a island.

The big building we saw in the very first trailer with the fountain is on the 2nd island.

There is also about 15 Pokemon Centers, and one or two towns doesn't have one.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I noticed a lot of Pokécenters. I tried to identify the gyms but i cant xD

Same. I think the building we saw in the announcement trailer may be one of the gyms. I counted about 15 Pokemon Centers.

It looks like the best island is the top right. I really love that layered waterfall area.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • Oh, if you look closely to that white facility in the middle of the region, you can see that it actually continues to go deep underwater. Someone said this before, but It really looks like the Elite Four might be underwater, or even the Victory Road

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It seems like there are loads of places to explore! Zooming into that map and looking closely at the different Islands just puts it into perspective and shows the different areas and environments that the Alola Region is made up of.

Years
  • Solgaleo and Lunala's Pokedex classifications - the Sunne and Moone Pokemon, seem to be based on an old Middle High German translation for the words "sun" and "moon". Thank you Serebii speculators once again!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    The city with the walls surrounding it remind of a prison/fortress city I created once for a fake region.

I doubt they'd actually create something like that though. (although the city I created was a now defunct prison turned into a city, so it's not like it had any actual prisoners in it)

Though it would be kind of cool if it was like a prison turned city or something. Maybe it held members of evil teams like some kind of Alcatraz. (probably too dark for Pokemon though)

Now that I look at the HQ map, does anyone else get an Attack on Titan vibe from it? Imagine if the cities leaders had convinced everyone that the world outside the wall had ended or something. That would be funny.

Maybe it's some kind of gated cult community.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The walls could be to keep dangerous wild pokemon out. It is definitely a rain forest route. It is really hard to tell to be honest. If we look at real world Hawaii, we might be able to get an idea of why the walls are up. If we look at the islands mythology.

And it there is an Ice Gym, I think it will be 5th or so.

From looking at the map, I am thinking that we go to the top right island after the first island and start on the left side. Making our way around the island and then back.

Then we take the boat again and go to the big island, starting on the right side. Make out way around, and after the ice place, we will get surf, because there is a surfing route. This leaves the gated town/city as the final city/gym. We then possibly go to the Forbidden Island to catch the Legendary and then go to the center for the elite 4.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Here are the town/cities I found, circled. https://imgur.com/jIjoDHA

Looks like there will be at-least 8-10 city/towns, this is just artwork though. Not sure on town count for the other games.

I am not sure that is all of them. I counted about 15 towns. 8 to 10 is really low. Especially when the only Regions to have 10 are Kanto and Johto, which were basically 1 region. All the others have had 15 to 18.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • In the large image someone posted you can see several boats, it's more clear if you look at the ones near the artificial island. That hints at our method of transportation around the islands.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I am not sure that is all of them. I counted about 15 towns. 8 to 10 is really low. Especially when the only Regions to have 10 are Kanto and Johto, which were basically 1 region. All the others have had 15 to 18.

Yeah like I said, this is just art work and not an in-game map. Wheres the 15? They could also go for less towns, more wilderness which makes sense for the region.

Back