• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun and Moon to be the last 3DS Pokemon games?

Illusionss

Banned
Years
  • I've been hearing a rumour for a while now that Sun and Moon will be the last Pokemon games on the 3DS, and I just can't believe this to be true as the 3DS is still very much alive, on top of the fact it's not been all that long since we've had the new Nintendo 3DS and the 2DS. But maybe I'm wrong and the Nintendo switch will take over from the 3DS as well as the Wii U since it's a hybrid of handheld and home consoles, I can't see it though. Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    Highly unlikely. The 3DS is not the Wii U. It's always been doing well and, regardless of how well the Switch does or does not do, it will not replace the 3DS as well. It would make absolutely no financial sense whatsoever for Nintendo to give up on the 3DS at this stage.

The New 3DS was only recently released, as well. If Nintendo were intending to pull the plug on it, they wouldn't have released an upgraded version of it.

We'll see more Pokemon games on the 3DS. At least another generation, in all probability.

Years
  • Pheremosa has a point. The 3DS has been a notable best-seller and as we know, Pokemon sells better on the handhelds (X/Y is already the best-selling 3DS game iirc) and I view Nintendo Switch as more of a Wii U replacement than a 3DS replacement.

I think we're probably stick with the 3DS for more time to come.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • Pheremosa has a point. The 3DS has been a notable best-seller and as we know, Pokemon sells better on the handhelds (X/Y is already the best-selling 3DS game iirc) and I view Nintendo Switch as more of a Wii U replacement than a 3DS replacement.

I think we're probably stick with the 3DS for more time to come.

Hopefully, I don't see why this rumour is even a thing, but people seem so convinced that it's true. They do seem to be pushing the Switch as a handheld as well as a home console, which may be why these rumours have started.

Years
  • Hopefully, I don't see why this rumour is even a thing, but people seem so convinced that it's true. They do seem to be pushing the Switch as a handheld as well as a home console, which may be why these rumours have started.

Well, the Switch is the first-ever hybrid console so it's no surprise the rumours are around. Game Freak has apparently also been working on a new Pokemon game for the Switch, which also sparked rumours if 8th Gen will move to the Switch because Game Freak mainly work on the main series titles which are always released on the handhelds.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    It's too early to be speculating on the Switch's influence, assuming it will have any influence at all. The reveal trailer was informative, but not informative enough to gain a clear picture on how Nintendo are going to market it. Marketing is one of the primary reasons the Wii U failed, and the Switch could very easily go the same way.

The list of developers it has means nothing - the Wii U also had an extensive list of developers - and the rumours are just that: rumours. We know the Wii U will be discontinued in the near future. There is absolutely nothing to indicate the 3DS will follow suit; the Wii U has been struggling for a long time and this was inevitable with the Switch's reveal.

My point is that, until we know what impact the Switch will have on the market, and what Nintendo's plans for it are, it would be a mistake to assume it will replace the 3DS and, by extension, become the new home for the mothership Pokemon titles. I'm not an analyst, but I think it would be a mistake to proclaim the Switch as the 3DS' death knell when sales figures and upcoming titles would suggest otherwise. Maybe if the next Direct doesn't have many new 3DS titles to showcase there could be some cause for concern, but until then...I'd assume Pokemon will remain on the 3DS. Nothing suggests it won't.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • Well, the Switch is the first-ever hybrid console so it's no surprise the rumours are around. Game Freak has apparently also been working on a new Pokemon game for the Switch, which also sparked rumours if 8th Gen will move to the Switch because Game Freak mainly work on the main series titles which are always released on the handhelds.

It'll likely be a spin-off-like game similar to Colosseum and gale of darkness on the gamecube imo.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I'm pretty sure we will get at least another game on the 3DS, is too early to switch to the... Switch...? The 3DS took quite a while to get Pokemon games, so it will probably be the same with the Switch.

There's also plenty of reasons to stick to the 3DS for now, if they plan on making 4gen remakes they would need to make them for the 3DS, as it is going to be Nintendo's last dual screen console (At least that's what I heard), and 4gen needs the 2nd screen for the Poketch, unless they choose to remove it entirely, but I don't think they would remove such an iconic feature of Sinnoh.
    It also seems like we are not done with Sun and Moon/Alola, As far as I know (I'm trying to avoid as much spoilers as possible, so I know literally nothing about the story) Necrozma's 2nd form is not in the game, so unless they pull another Zygarde we should be getting sequels focusing on him. (Or at least I'm hoping so)
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I would hate it to be the last of the 3DS games to be honest I would love to see more 3D pokemon games since i still think that they can make something more with what they got at the moment.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I don't think so, considering the switch isn't even out yet and Gamefreak did release two sets of games after the 3DS came out on the DS. I'd say the rest of Gen 7 will be on the 3DS, which means at the very least Sequels or a D/P remake. I'm not sure if we'd get a "third version" to Sun and Moon though.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Well, on the Nintendo DS there were 2 whole generations available for it, each with 4 games for each generation (or 5 for Gen 4 if including Platinum). If Nintendo follows the same trend, the next gen 7 games will be out for the 3DS. Keep in mind that Black/White 2 were released on DS even when the 3DS was available, so it's likely something similar will happen.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it would be unlikely for them to have games of the same generation on different consoles. I'm guessing gen VII will have one more set of games after Sun & Moon for the 3DS, kinda like how gen V had both Black/White & Black 2/White 2 on the DS even though the 3DS had been released for some time.

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
    Years
  • Most likely they will still have 3ds Pokemon games, but they could also make a new Pokemon switch game like Pokemon Snap or Stadium.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I would hate it to be the last of the 3DS games to be honest I would love to see more 3D pokemon games since i still think that they can make something more with what they got at the moment.

Switch will enable them to make the 3D models/environments far better, unless you mean the 3D effect, in which case they've done away with it completely in Sun and Moon aside from a mini-game, and even then it tanks the FPS from what I hear.

Game Freak is struggling to fit main series Pokemon on 3DS. This is a fact. Anybody hoping it stays on 3DS longer don't actually give a damn about the franchise, and only want to not have to personally upgrade devices, even though it's inevitable that they'd have to eventually as the 3DS won't be around forever.

And to anybody skeptical of the Switch's performance and/or role: Nintendo would not have made a handheld/console hybrid if they weren't planning on moving their handheld games over to it. They would not have consolidated their development teams if they didn't want to move to a single platform. And if it does poorly, do you honestly think the 3DS will last much longer? What games are people even actually expecting it to get next year? Nintendo themselves even said 2018 would be as far as they're willing to support the system, and that is going to just be with some small, late projects if past systems are anything to go off of. If Switch doesn't replace the 3DS, something else will.

The 3DS has only been doing as well as Pokemon GO/Gen 7 allowed it to this year. When the only thing truly keeping your system alive is a single game, what's the point in keeping it there when you could use that influence on your next big system, especially when that next big system is a handheld? I can see them doing a dual-platform relealse for the 2017 games, but I'd expect full Switch-exclusivity afterward. Giving people a reason to stay on 3DS cannibalizes their own product, just like the 3DS horribly cannibalized the Wii U. They can't keep supporting two platforms like that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Let's just hope The Pokémon Company makes a Gen 7 game on Switch that will work like Stadium, Colisseum and Battle Revolution.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • The 3DS has only been doing as well as Pokemon GO/Gen 7 allowed it to this year. When the only thing truly keeping your system alive is a single game, what's the point in keeping it there when you could use that influence on your next big system, especially when that next big system is a handheld? I can see them doing a dual-platform relealse for the 2017 games, but I'd expect full Switch-exclusivity afterward. Giving people a reason to stay on 3DS cannibalizes their own product, just like the 3DS horribly cannibalized the Wii U. They can't keep supporting two platforms like that.

Tell that to Gamefreak in 2010 and 2012.

Back