• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun and Moon to be the last 3DS Pokemon games?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • Pokemon is on an handheld console for so long now that I don't imagine it being on a home console.

I would gladly accept some Pokemon games on the Switch tho, Like a pokemon snap or pokemon stadium kind of a game.

If the main games are on Switch, I won't really mind either.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I'm kinda in the minority that really hopes the next generation games are on the Switch, but moreso for technical reasons more than anything else. I want to see the main Pokemon series games' graphics develop even further. Maybe we'll get a Pokemon game that'll be compatible with VR, wouldn't that be cool? I doubt the Switch is compatible with VR, but y'know, just kind of in a hypothetical situation, it's really not good to keep limiting Pokemon games to one system all the time.

I feel conflicted because the DS family has been in existence for more than a decade and each one eventually gets retired in favour of another platform. The original DS, the DSi, the DSi XL, the DS Lite, there's so many iterations of the Nintendo DS family that are so similar to another that personally, I don't see anything wrong with a breath of fresh air and going with the Switch as the new "handheld" platform of choice for Pokemon games. It's knocking out two birds with one stone--you have the opportunity to play Pokemon on the big screen and take it with you if necessary--thus kind of defeating the point of having a separate handheld, except if you're really that picky about portability.
    Gen8 is probably going to be on the Switch (unless they do another handheld exclusive console for some reason), they won't be stretching the 3DS for 3 generations, but I also don't think they will be spiting Gen7 into two completely different consoles, the second game or games of this gen will probably be the last Pokemon games we see in the console.
    The 3DS is still selling great for now, so releasing another set of games even when the Switch is out won't harm the sales much, its going to be pretty much the same as it was back during Gen5, and those games didn't do too bad. (They did do worse than other gens though, but I think that was mainly due to poor marketing, Gen7's marketing team seems to know what they're doing)

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I dunno. This is tangentially related, but it's worth it to keep in mind that no two consecutive remakes have been on the same console. Assuming Sinnoh remakes are going to be a thing, it stands to reason that any third game that releases after those remakes are also going to be on the same system as the hypothetical remakes, which is why it's very possible that Sun and Moon may very well be the last 3DS games.

The 3DS is doing fine, but if the Switch performs the functions of the DS family and even more by apparently being a home console, then what would be use of using your 3DS for, then? Especially in the Pokemon sense; TPCi could partner with Game Freak and develop games for the Switch and partner with seperate companies for spinoffs if they truly wished. It's kind of a win-win situation for everyone involved instead of having to focus on different platforms all the time, does that make sense?

I didin't think into that, It's true having Gen3 and Gen4 Remakes would be kind of weird, but I don't see what they would do witht he Poketch if they made the Sinnnoh remakes on the Switch, the whole dual screens thing was quite a mayor part of Gen4.
    Either way I think it's highly likely we are getting another set of games whether they are remakes or not, as I said on another comment Necrozma is missing a form
    Spoiler:
    so unless they pull another Zygarde, We will get another Gen7 game featuring it.

Plus the Switch games will probably take some years to develop just liked it happened with XY when the 3DS was released, they shouldn't leave this generation stay with only 1 set of games for 1.5-2 years.
    Either way GameFreak likes being unpredictable so they could literally do anything, if they feel like Switching directly they may, who knows, it just seems unlikely to me.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I think it has at the very least one more main series release in it... and by that, I mean whatever they plan to do within Gen VII, should they actually plan to release Sinnoh remakes, which I think is about 30% likely to happen. But I really don't like making assumptions when the latest game in the series hasn't even been released yet.

I can see how speculation has grown from the announcement of the Switch though. It has the portable factor that Pokemon seems to pride itself on, and no one knows if they'll release a hand held system alongside it. It's both interesting and concerning to be a Nintendo supporter right now. But I think we'll be fine; all we can do is watch this space and see how things unfold. If I'm completely honest though, Pokemon moving over to the Switch would be the sole reason I'd need to guarantee my purchase of the system. My resistance is absurdly low when it comes to Pokemon games...

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2016
    I seriously doubt it. There's going to be at least one more 7th Gen game whether that be 4th gen remakes or a sequel to Sun and Moon. GameFreak has a history of waiting until a system has an install base before releasing software for it. I wouldn't expect to see a main series Pokemon game on the Switch before 2019.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • We'll probably get the Sinnoh remakes on the 3ds (It's safe to assume that they'll re-use the sun and moon engine for it)I doubt that we'll get gen 8 on the 3ds tho, since Sun and Moon is pushing the system itself to its limits... GF did say that they're planning on a Pokemon game on the switch but whether that is a main entry or spin of (Ala Pokemon Colosseum) is still up in the air tho.

If we do get a Pokemon game on the switch... I hope they do something about the (Reported) battery life of the Switch which is rumored to be only 3 hours when un-docked.

Back