• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun & Moon - The End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
  • How Lockstin actually continuing with this? :| I really don't think Pokemon will reboot, not for a while yet I think.

Sunstruck

Insomniac Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    And this is using "reboot" in the sense of a "reset". If they rebooted, in the normal sense, it would mean that they would be remaking the series with a new vision. This means it wouldn't go back necessarily to "Gen 1", but an alternate interpretation of "Gen 1". For example: It would still have Mega Evolutions/Z Moves, and possibly even design changes to old Pokemon; removal of some of the forgettable Gen 1 Pokemon; likely including select post-Gen 1 Pokemon and whatnot. It wouldn't be the Gen 1 that started the franchise.

It would be more akin to reboots in comics. So a rebooted Batman is still Batman, but the rebooted version now has a huge alcohol and drug problem, and sometimes loses control and hurts himself and others. Alfred doesn't exist in this reboot because Batman killed him during one of his rampages.

This is essentially what Lockstin is saying is going to happen. And personally, while it's only a theory, I don't think it's too far-fetched.

It's true that a full reboot wouldn't be profitable for them, for reasons already stated. But they could change up their formula, like they're doing with Sun and Moon; away with the gyms, maybe even the whole Elite Four and Champion deal. They could come up with something new; something different, but something that still appeals to their target audience. As Lockstin said, I feel that the fact that Sun and Moon is mixing things up is an indicator towards them 'testing the waters', seeing if people like that sort of idea. They're experimenting. But a reboot doesn't necessarily mean everything needs to change or be replaced -- it would just be a much more radical change than anything they've done in the past.

This doesn't necessarily mean the Pokemon will all be replaced or changed. For evidence of this, I point to Gen III and V, where everything that was said about them being unsuccessful due to being reboots was true. I do think they were reboots, but soft ones, because they never really changed up the formula -- the only thing they really did was replace the majority of the old Pokemon with new ones, which also happens to be people's chief complaint about them. But as we've seen with X and Y, as well as Sun and Moon, they've been trying to include Pokemon from all generations and keep that from happening again. I think they've learned their lesson; any reboot would include as many older Pokemon as possible -- possibly removing some of the least popular ones, but even that's a risk.

Basically, what I'm saying is that a reboot doesn't necessarily constitute an entirely new game. As Lockstin said, it's the beginning of a new cycle. A new formula or new gameplay mechanics; perhaps even a more mature/complex story. And 'more mature' doesn't necessarily mean all dark and gritty; think more like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's level of story and character complexity, and Pokemon Origins' levels of maturity.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well yesterday youtube got a massive take down on the Pokemon anime subs. lot of Episode 42 English sub videos got taken down and I only managed to find 1 video left. Episode 43 tho no English subs only Spanish one.

It may be a side effect to the wipe.

Years
  • Yeah, I'm not paying attention to his theory anymore so it is surprising he's still uploading videos about it when I feel that it'll be irrelevant when the games come out.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
    • Age 26
    • she/her
    • Sinnoh
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    As a Thelemite who studies alchemy, astrology, the Tree of Life, etc., I have to say that these correspondences are fascinating, but also incredibly easy to make. While it wouldn't surprise me if GF is deliberately making occult correspondences in their games to deliver some sort of message or round out a general theme (this isn't uncommon in games), I feel like pointing out these correspondences, intentional or not, and trying to draw some sort of subliminal message from them will only lead to an endless round of "what ifs" until the game is released and the intentions and coincidences of these correspondences are made clear.

I think the amount of research that's gone into this is somewhat admirable, but it seems like it's just another one of those end times theories that never prove to be true. He seems to be attracting a good amount of attention, though. :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well they kind of confirmed a new game on the Nintendo Switch is in the making. Considering the Switch is an hybrid of Home Console and Handheld.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Well they kind of confirmed a new game on the Nintendo Switch is in the making. Considering the Switch is an hybrid of Home Console and Handheld.

Except it's not an actual hybrid, because it's going to co-exist with the Wii U and 3DS (plus Game Freak has already reconfirmed that the main Pokémon games are sticking to handhelds).

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • For some reason I can't really see this being the 'last' generation. Plus seeing how this series is making a lot of money I don't see how it could end.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I mostly think it's more of an End of an Era...

This is the changing of the guard... New director, new team, new hardware, new game philosophy... etc.

Will this be the end of Pokemon... and then a reboot, ushering in only gen 1 pokemon on a the NX(Now the switch) as Noggin theories says. Doubt it, really they're just overthinking this (To an almost insane level: not in a good way either)

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    With the info of knowing that there will be past characters in Sun & Moon strengthen or weaken his reboot theory?

To me it strengthens it.

Though in fairness even if he's wrong about an actual reboot he's still predicted a fair bit of stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back