• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario Bros.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Mmm, we've all known about Super Mario Bros, right?

Super Mario Bros.

It's about Mario and Luigi, as the travel throughout mushroom kingdom, trying to save Princess Peach from the clutches of the evil Koopa King Bowser. Along the way, they meet plenty of enemies like Goombas, Koopas, Piranha Plants, Cheep Cheeps, Bullet Bills, and even Bowser's underlings like Larry, Roy, Wendy, and so on, and even his own son, Bowser Jr. And much more enemies!

Still though, what do you like, or dislike about the Super Mario Bros. games? Which ones have you played, and which ones are your favourite? How about powerups; which Mario powerup do you like the most?

Any other thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to post em' here. :3

Years
    I've loved the Mario series ever since I got into video games. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was the first video game I EVER owned, which I've had for four years now. I love New Super Mario Bros, as I have many memories from playing that. Since I only have an SP and a 3DS, I can't play very many of the console games, but I have played New Super Mario Bros Wii, and I own Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World. I also own Sticker Star, which is a video game that I actually don't like, and Super Mario 3D Land, which I have 100%ed. My favorite power-ups are the Cape Feather, Super Leaf, and Blue Shell.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I used to own Super Mario Land, I think I beat it even, but I'm not sure. It was one of my favorite GameBoy games at the time, and I really wish I still had it. I honestly don't know what happened to all my GB games. I don't think I sold them, but maybe...

Anyway, I used to live with someone who owned an NES, as well as the original Super Mario Brothers and SMB3. I played them to death on a couple days, and had a lot of fun doing so. At the time I think I cared more about beating the game than I did completing it, as I would often use the warp zones to advance in both games. I really should play the games through without the exploits some time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I grew up on the SNES ports of the original games plus Super Mario World...and even Dr. Mario. Mario was everywhere! My first favorite game (is that a weird thing to remember?) was Super Mario Bros 3 because "we're both 3!!" because I was silly and...3 years old. But even today being 22 and not having a 3 in my age, I would still say it's one of my favorite games. Definitely my favorite Mario game. I don't really have the nostalgia for the original on NES though, but it's definitely there for the SNES port. I love that to the moon and back.

My other favorite Mario games are Super Mario Bros 2 (it's just...weird idk), Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Kart 64 (it counts get out of my face), Paper Mario, and Super Mario Sunshine. I haven't played 3D World or Land though. I have no intentions of playing Land unfortunately, but I'll likely check out World from work and see how I like it.

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I SUCK AT EVERY GAME MENTIONED IN THIS POST. Except Kart and Paper. And even then I'm only meh at Kart...lol.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    I've pretty much played them all in the main series except the ones of the wii u because i don't own one yet. My favourite is sunshine though. It's an awesome franchise but i enjoy playing sonic better, though mario has had more games that are better. Also, the quality of mario games is consistent unlike sonic and other games too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm a huge fan of this series; have been following it ever since I was a little kid, and still am. There are other video game series out there that, I believe, could go head-to-head against Super Mario in terms of gameplay, story, and so forth, whether they be popular or not, but what makes Mario so special to me (and I'm sure many others) is its originality and ability to lead. Super Mario is one of the very few series that have helped set standards as to how platformer games should be, and almost everything else seem to follow accordingly.

Of all titles that I have played from this particular video game series, I would say my most favorite's Super Mario 64. Was simply astonished when I'd first put its cartridge into my N64 and started playing, and got instantly hooked. Have also bought DS remake years later, and wound up enjoying just as much, thankfully. All-together, I've played through this game (as in, finishing main story-line) for about a total of seven times, I think.

Up next comes Super Mario Sunshine, which I've also loved due to similar reasons as above. This had given us a more fun way to experience Mario game, by allowing us to float in air with our water-powered backpack, exploring tropical islands, and so forth. I remember reading an article somewhere that Nintendo were considering to develop a 3DS remake of this video game; now, I'm not really sure if they're actually going with it, but if they do, I'd very much be invested. Could imagine myself spending hours with its remake, to be honest!

As far as characters go, Luigi is definitely my most favorite, and after him, comes Princess Peach. Next, it's Mario, and Wario comes afterwords.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Super Mario Bros? Wtf is that?

I guess I'm one of those few weird people who is old enough to have had the chance to play some of the older Mario games but never did and still doesn't really care to. I'm not even sure what my first Mario game even was, but I have played these:

-Super Mario Sunshine
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -Paper Mario: TTYD
    -Super Paper Mario
    -Mario Kart Double Dash
    -Mario Kart Wii
    -a bit of the SNES and N64 Mario Karts
    -a vague memory of Super Mario 64
    -various Mario Parties
    -"New" Super Mario Bros (DS and one of the Wii versions)
    -Mario Power Tennis (the Gamecube one)

And both Luigi's Mansions but those are Luigi games.

Paper Mario>Mario Kart>3D Mario platformers>2D Mario platformers is generally how it's been for me. Just could never really get into side scroller platforming games for whatever reason.

And Luigi is my favorite Mario Bros character.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
    The first 2D platformer Mario that I played was Super Mario Bros 3, and it remains my favorite to this day. However, I've played the majority of Mario games, except Sunshine, the Gameboy games, Super Mario World, Galaxy 2, any of the RPGs (for now, Thousand Year Door just sits in my basement calling to be played but I don't have memory card space) and the Super Mario Bros Wii. I've always really liked the games, sure. In fact, I'd list Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros 3 as two of my twenty favorite games of all time. But I've never exactly felt the same about those games as I do about other series, mainly Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Has anyone ever played Super Mario RPG? I feel like that's the odd game of the group which believe a lot of people has praise for. I own it for the SNES and have been meaning to get around to playing it, but I wanted to know what people thought of it before dedicating some time towards it.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I've really liked Super Mario Bros... I think the only thing I dislike about it was the first game and Lost Levels, because the movement felt too stiff. It's like, you can't move backwards after doing a forward jump, but it's made much easier on SMB3 and World.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I've really liked Super Mario Bros... I think the only thing I dislike about it was the first game and Lost Levels, because the movement felt too stiff. It's like, you can't move backwards after doing a forward jump, but it's made much easier on SMB3 and World.
    I hear this a lot. Maybe it's because I played the NES one a lot, but I thought the physics were perfect there. Better in World, yes. They were refined there. But SMB3 also rubbed me the wrong way

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Has anyone ever played Super Mario RPG? I feel like that's the odd game of the group which believe a lot of people has praise for. I own it for the SNES and have been meaning to get around to playing it, but I wanted to know what people thought of it before dedicating some time towards it.

I would play that if people quit snatching the copies at Replays. :( That game runs pretty expensive too. My boyfriend's roommate has it though, so I could just ask to play it when I'm there...but I have enough games on the back burner as it is haha.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    If you've player Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi than you have an idea of what Super Mario RPG is like as those games are derived from it (and share some staff)

It is great for the SNES. It's Final Fantasy with Mario! (kinda precursor to Kingdom Hearts concept a bit?) Music is fantastic and if you never play the game you must listen to the soundtrack. But it's SNES and feels old. And while the game is good, I played it after Paper Mario which is more refined. So I have no nostalgic fondness for the game

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I grew up with my brother's SNES and Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario World.
    I absolutely adore the Mario series. I love the main games and the spin-offs. Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 5, and Mario Kart Double Dash just to name a few favorites.

My favorite character in the series is Luigi. He is a cowardly badass lol. I always preferred Luigi over Mario even as a kid. My brother (or friends) would play together and I would always ask to be Player 2 so I could play as Luigi in Mario 3 or Mario World.

However I SUCK at Mario platformers and any platformers in general. However I still love the games even if I get game overs or have to use the shameful invincible tanooki leaf lol.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    My favorite Mario game continues to be Super Mario RPG. It's an unconventional classic in my eyes and one of the best offerings on the SNES, aside from Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, and Mario All-Stars.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    If you've player Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi than you have an idea of what Super Mario RPG is like as those games are derived from it (and share some staff)

It is great for the SNES. It's Final Fantasy with Mario! (kinda precursor to Kingdom Hearts concept a bit?) Music is fantastic and if you never play the game you must listen to the soundtrack. But it's SNES and feels old. And while the game is good, I played it after Paper Mario which is more refined. So I have no nostalgic fondness for the game

Never played Kingdom Hearts, very rarely played Final Fantasy. /shot

But I have played Paper Mario and that game is incredible (especially the N64 version.) That actually is probably one of my favorite N64 games of all time. Too bad the series sort of fell flat after that. While I haven't played TTYD - which I've heard great things about - I've played Super Paper Mario and Sticket Star and in my opinion both fell flat compared to other game in the series.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I didn't think that Super Paper Mario was that bad. Not as good as Thousand Year Door though (TTYD was fantastic imo). I never got the chance to play the N64 one, and Sticker Star, from what little I've seen and heard, doesn't really seem all that great to me.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    I think overall it was just the environment/universe of Super Paper Mario that I didn't like. The characters weren't as memorable as the previous installments; I would pick Lakitu and Goombario as sidekicks over the Pixls any day. I will say though that Super Paper Mario had a great concept with the addition of a z axis to the game, but for some reason the game just fell flat to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    That's what I didn't like about the game too. Flipside-Flopside was a boring ass place, and the Pixils weren't all that great either. And parts of Chapters 4 and 7 were just not fun.

I did like the whole thing with Mario's 3D mode, as well as the fact that you could play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, AND Bowser.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Never played Kingdom Hearts, very rarely played Final Fantasy. /shot

But I have played Paper Mario and that game is incredible (especially the N64 version.) That actually is probably one of my favorite N64 games of all time. Too bad the series sort of fell flat after that. While I haven't played TTYD - which I've heard great things about - I've played Super Paper Mario and Sticket Star and in my opinion both fell flat compared to other game in the series.

Paper Mario started development as a direct sequel to Super Mario RPG, so that should be fine

Back