• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Super Training

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Does anyone routinely use this to level up stats? I find it to be a fun mini-game and a fairly easy way to pile on the stats.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Does anyone routinely use this to level up stats? I find it to be a fun mini-game and a fairly easy way to pile on the stats.

I use it all the time, I love it. It used to be the sole way I trained EVs until I started getting into Horde training, but after I started trying to find a Scraggy horde and got ELEVEN Gulpin hordes in a row, I figured it's not always the fastest way to go, so I go back and forth if I only have 1 pokemon to train, but always use the Horde training if I am doing multiples at the same time.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I use it all the time, I love it. It used to be the sole way I trained EVs until I started getting into Horde training, but after I started trying to find a Scraggy horde and got ELEVEN Gulpin hordes in a row, I figured it's not always the fastest way to go, so I go back and forth if I only have 1 pokemon to train, but always use the Horde training if I am doing multiples at the same time.

Any particular strategy in your training? Does the level of the Pokemon impact the long term gains of the training? i.e. Does it matter if I get to level 50 and then do the training or if I do the training at level 15 and then get to 50?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Any particular strategy in your training? Does the level of the Pokemon impact the long term gains of the training? i.e. Does it matter if I get to level 50 and then do the training or if I do the training at level 15 and then get to 50?

nope, you can do the training any time you want, the problem is that ANY battle you fight before you fully EV train will just give random EVs to any stat depending on what pokemon you are fighting in random encounters and where. It's easily solvable by using a Reset bag to get rid of all your EVs, but what I personally do is EV train as soon as I get the pokemon I want, then it doesn't matter what I fight as all the EVs I want it to have it will already have. but honestly, if you don't mind resetting, it doesnt' matter if you EV train at level 1 out of a newly hatched egg or at level 100, it will still be the same results.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    That route is better for HP EV training because of all them Gulpin hordes. If you wanna EV train attack, Route 19 or 20 (whichever one is to the east of Snowbelle) is better since Weepinbell hordes are the more common ones there (and there's the occasional Arbok horde).

Anyway, for the question in the OP, I used to use it as my sole method of EV training early on, but then switched to EV training via hordes once I learned about that. I still use Super Training sometimes if I need just 4 or 8 EVs in a stat, or if I need a really specific number of them.

ViperSpeeds

Espada
    Years
  • That route is better for HP EV training because of all them Gulpin hordes. If you wanna EV train attack, Route 19 or 20 (whichever one is to the east of Snowbelle) is better since Weepinbell hordes are the more common ones there (and there's the occasional Arbok horde).

Anyway, for the question in the OP, I used to use it as my sole method of EV training early on, but then switched to EV training via hordes once I learned about that. I still use Super Training sometimes if I need just 4 or 8 EVs in a stat, or if I need a really specific number of them.

Same thing here. I used to spend a good hour, EV training ONE pokemon with Super Training, until I found out about EV training with hordes. Now the only thing I use Super Training for, other than 4 or 8 EVs here and there, are evolutionary stones.

Here's the site I use for ALL EV training locations:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-ev-training-with-hordes.3490052/

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't use it as much as I used to, if at all now. Since I bought all the EV-boosting Power items from the Battle Maison and learned about EV training via hordes though, I don't use it much at all :b

Years
  • Well, before I acquired every single ingredient needed to Horde EV training, I used to Super train my Pokemon a lot, it was all fun and games, but little bit tedious after a long while.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Taking the conversation into a slightly different direction, how do you all plan your EV Spreads? Do you think of your team, the natures you want, priority stats, etc ahead of time and then do what it takes to create that Pokemon?

I'm trying to find the inspiration I need to find a team that works best for me. So I'm curious as to how you all make your plans/what you consider.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I do Super Training over horde training because finding the right horde takes time. Plus, Super Training is fun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Taking the conversation into a slightly different direction, how do you all plan your EV Spreads? Do you think of your team, the natures you want, priority stats, etc ahead of time and then do what it takes to create that Pokemon?

I'm trying to find the inspiration I need to find a team that works best for me. So I'm curious as to how you all make your plans/what you consider.

personally, I go to Serebii.net and pick the pokemon I am training, then I go to the highest evolved version of them (there are links to each evolution, just in case you haven't been there) and most of the time (there are exceptions) I train a pokemon based on it's two highest stats and max out EVs in both of those stats, and then give the remaining 6EVs to the third highest stat. Using this strategy, I also let teh pokemon's natural strength dictate the moves it learns and what ability it should have.

For example, I have a a Hoppip and it's highest stat is Speed, it's second highest stat is SP Def so because of that, I gave it a Timid nature (because it's main strength is speed I want to max out that attribute) and it's second highest stat is Sp Def so I EV train both of those stats (and give the remaining 6 Evs to Def) but because of that, it's not getting much of a boost to it's Att or Sp Att which are terrible anyway (both at a base strength of 55) so I don't even worry about those. Since it won't be a direct attacker, I give it the Infiltrator ability, Cotton Guard to boost it's Def and give it Toxic, Leech Seed and Infestation, all of which will still hit the enemy behind Safeguard, Mist or Subsitute. (it will also ignore Reflect and Light Screen, but those aren't really an issue when you're not relying on attack)

On the other hand though, my Gulpin, which evolves to Swalot, will have it's highest stat being HP and it's second two highest stats being Def and SP Def, so in that instance, I max out HP and then divide the remaining EVs between the two Defenses at 129 evenly. I give it Black Sludge, the Liquid Ooze Ability and teach it Sludge Bomb, Stockpile, Spit Up and Swallow to boost it's Defenses even higher every time Stockpile is used to wall things but also have the ability to heal itself as needed.

Furthermore, my Fletchling, which becomes Talonflame, will have it's Speed and Attack as it's highest stats, so I give it a Jolly nature, Gale Wings ability to make all it's Flying type moves always go first, and mostly all attacking moves such as Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing (to take care of Rock types which it has a 4X weakness to) and Roost to heal itself before anything can harm it (with two moves that cause recoil damage, it needs a healing move)

But that's just what I do. Lots of people distribute varying amounts to several stats, it really depends on what they feel like doing. I personally prefer to boost the stats that pokemon already have naturally high numbers in because I figure those are it's strengths, other people prefor to boost their lowest stats so they're more universally well rounded. Other people have no strategy at all, because some pokemon that have terrible defense (for example) they boost it to max, whereas other pokemon that have equally terrible defense they ignore that stat altogether.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    personally, I go to Serebii.net and pick the pokemon I am training, then I go to the highest evolved version of them (there are links to each evolution, just in case you haven't been there) and most of the time (there are exceptions) I train a pokemon based on it's two highest stats and max out EVs in both of those stats, and then give the remaining 6EVs to the third highest stat. Using this strategy, I also let teh pokemon's natural strength dictate the moves it learns and what ability it should have.

For example, I have a a Hoppip and it's highest stat is Speed, it's second highest stat is SP Def so because of that, I gave it a Timid nature (because it's main strength is speed I want to max out that attribute) and it's second highest stat is Sp Def so I EV train both of those stats (and give the remaining 6 Evs to Def) but because of that, it's not getting much of a boost to it's Att or Sp Att which are terrible anyway (both at a base strength of 55) so I don't even worry about those. Since it won't be a direct attacker, I give it the Infiltrator ability, Cotton Guard to boost it's Def and give it Toxic, Leech Seed and Infestation, all of which will still hit the enemy behind Safeguard, Mist or Subsitute. (it will also ignore Reflect and Light Screen, but those aren't really an issue when you're not relying on attack)

On the other hand though, my Gulpin, which evolves to Swalot, will have it's highest stat being HP and it's second two highest stats being Def and SP Def, so in that instance, I max out HP and then divide the remaining EVs between the two Defenses at 129 evenly. I give it Black Sludge, the Liquid Ooze Ability and teach it Sludge Bomb, Stockpile, Spit Up and Swallow to boost it's Defenses even higher every time Stockpile is used to wall things but also have the ability to heal itself as needed.

Furthermore, my Fletchling, which becomes Talonflame, will have it's Speed and Attack as it's highest stats, so I give it a Jolly nature, Gale Wings ability to make all it's Flying type moves always go first, and mostly all attacking moves such as Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing (to take care of Rock types which it has a 4X weakness to) and Roost to heal itself before anything can harm it (with two moves that cause recoil damage, it needs a healing move)

But that's just what I do. Lots of people distribute varying amounts to several stats, it really depends on what they feel like doing. I personally prefer to boost the stats that pokemon already have naturally high numbers in because I figure those are it's strengths, other people prefor to boost their lowest stats so they're more universally well rounded. Other people have no strategy at all, because some pokemon that have terrible defense (for example) they boost it to max, whereas other pokemon that have equally terrible defense they ignore that stat altogether.

How did you choose those three Pokemon to begin with? Just a personal preference?

Thanks for all of the information!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How did you choose those three Pokemon to begin with? Just a personal preference?

Thanks for all of the information!

oh, I'm training ALL of them, I just chose those 3 because they happened to be among the latest I've bred for 5IVs. If you're looking for a team to actually battle, the best thing to do is figure out a strategy (there's lots of them) and be sure to mix up types so that if you are battling against an opponent that is beating your current pokemon you have another one (type wise) that won't be beaten so easily with the next pokemon you put out. And it also depends on if you're battling people 1 on 1 (so you'll need pokemon that can handle themselves in battle) or double or triple battles (in which case it might be worth getting some pokemon that can heal or protect their partners)

On top of that, it depends on what kind of battler you want to be, do you want to beat them hard and fast, do you want to put out a lot of bulkier pokemon that can handle a few hits so it doesn't matter how fast your opponent is, do you want to rely on strategic moves over offensive moves, and on and on like that. The best thing in that instance is to just go battling (even just in game) and figure out what kind fo battler you want to be and what works best for you, and then based on that, pick pokemon that fit that style of battling.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I spent the first hour or so of the game super training my Chespin right after I got it. I keep super training everything I get! I know I'm wasting so much time, but Im definitely addicted. Havent even gotten to the first gym yet, hah!

Years
  • I used to use it all the time until I realized how much faster horde EV training was. Takes about 3-4x longer to super train your Pokemon's EVs to max whereas I can usually cap out all the 510 EVs within 20 minutes with horde battles and power items + pokerus. It's still an awesome little feature to make EVs more accessible though, which is great.

Years
  • I don't really care for it and basically only use it to get evolution stones. Horde training takes almost no time at all. Sometimes I get just the right target time to get the stones I want, others I have to plan accordingly.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I love this feature. It makes what would normally take hours of battling take only about a few minutes. It shows that X/Y really cares about convenience, a factor I love to see in Pokemon games. The way of doing it's fun, too. Kicking soccer balls into Pokemon balloons is fun and a great time killer, along with providing a massive benefit.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would Super Train my Pokémon as soon as I was introduced to this feature, and still do. It's filled with mini-games, as we all already know, which is a great way to kill some time, if you ask me! There are various other ways to be EV-training, such as the horde method as mentioned earlier, but I personally prefer this over anything. Only thing that I wish they would have had is more range of games, but I'm still pretty satisfied with what they have currently.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2014
    I just do hordes, much faster with the power items equipped and Pokerus.
    I got a list where to find all the Pokemon for hordes to train specific stats.
    Have a Pokemon with sweet scent and a high lvl with surf and you're done in no time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I like how Super Training allows you to EV train Pokemon at the start of the game, or to train them without acquiring levels in case you want to use them early on in a new file. Horde training is admittedly a lot faster, but it's easier to get precise spreads with Super Training. I do find the mini-games kind of tedious, though, and I could imagine some people having a lot of trouble mastering them (since they require more precise reflexes than Pokemon normally does).

Back