• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Superheroes?

Years
  • So I recently watched an episode of Taboo, in which ordinary citizens would assume the roles of "superheroes," donning costumes, weapons, and aliases. They'd patrol the streets of their respective towns and actually fight crime. Granted they don't have supernatural abilities, they do fare adequately well, since they usually have some weapon experience and at least some armor or protection.

In the episode I watched, the particular hero that was highlighted did actually get arrested at one point for disturbing the peace, and the police I believe at one point claimed he was interfering rather than doing good. On the other hand, these heros actually do some good, often times getting to crime scenes and essentially aiding the police in coverage.

So my question is, what is your opinion on real life superheroes? Are they necessary? Do they do more harm than good? Would you dress up like a superhero and defend your city?

Years
  • I was told that I could be whatever I wanted when I grew up. If people want to be superheroes, let them be one. But I would never be bold enough to assume such a role.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • It's okay, if you don't interfere. If you can help, that's great. Have you heard of those stories of where a man saves a baby that's going to fall from an attic in a three-story house? Those kinds of stories are examples of real-life superheroes. They may not have capes and they look lame irl, but those are some of the the people who help us, along with the ones that do look cool (like police officers and philanthropists).

Years
  • People wanting to help is a good thing. As long as they themselves don't do things that are illegal I don't see any problem with it. It's kinda like being a one-hero neighborhood watch, or at least it should be. But their actions (like neighborhood watches' actions should be) ought to be limited to reporting crimes and contacting the proper authorities.

There's something a little dangerous about the lone vigilante acting out against crimes because they have no oversight to make sure they don't commit crimes of their own or tries to punish people for things that aren't crimes. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • Watchmen anyone?

Anyway, yeah. I could see myself being a superhero. Other than punching stuff in the face, I really don't have any time of weapon/combat experience. So, I wouldnt be a very good one. But if I had, like, a staff or something, I can beat up criminals trying to rob peoples houses.

Years
  • It's okay, if you don't interfere. If you can help, that's great. Have you heard of those stories of where a man saves a baby that's going to fall from an attic in a three-story house? Those kinds of stories are examples of real-life superheroes. They may not have capes and they look lame irl, but those are some of the the people who help us, along with the ones that do look cool (like police officers and philanthropists).
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit the spur-of-the-moment heroes. I'm just bringing up a different kind of hero, one who actually seeks the action on a day-to-day basis.

Last edited:

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I've heard about this superhero movement, and I feel that they each need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis rather than as a whole. So long as they do not interfere with police and other law enforcement, I think it's fine. However, I feel that many of these people are doing it as a method to garner public attention rather than actually defending the innocent, but again, so long as they aren't making trouble, I don't see any issue. In either case, I give these fellows a salute to their crime-fighting, something I know I wouldn't have the courage to do under normal circumstances.

Years
  • <Insert every meaningful line from Batman Begins & The Dark Knight>

Something like this is very open to interpretation and peoples' perception and moral center. Some say vigilante, others say superhero, others say villain.

Back