• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Superstitious beliefs

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Making this topic as I'm actually quite a superstitious person. No idea why, but I guess I learned them as a small child and it's followed me my entire life. I don't follow every superstition (like the black cat, or stepping on cracks, for example) however here are a few I do feel cautious about.

Breaking Mirrors

Opening an Umbrella inside

Leaving heads up on a penny so the next person can have good luck

The Number 13. My friends list is at 13 on pokecommunity, and I've debated throwing a random friend request so it would stop occurring in the back of my head.

I don't know if it's superstition, but I always wish at 11:11 if I catch the clock at that time.

Do you follow any, or not believe in them? I completely understand them being illogical and finding them silly, however I tagged it serious as I don't mean it to be something to poke fun at.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The one superstitious belief I have followed my entire life is that if you say anything that could bring bad luck, you knock on wood! My family raised me to do that and though it might not have an effect, I still do it now for comfort. In my family, we also eat noodles for breakfast on our birthdays every year to ensure a long life. I also somewhat believe in the paranormal (e.g. ghosts).

Years
  • I know of a lot, but I don't believe in any.
    That being said, I have no problem if others do, I'm not an asshole.

Years
  • whenever i have dreams about teeth being pulled out or something, i always bite down on something wooden. i think that just gives me a mouth infection more than anything.

i also never walk under ladders propped up against walls or posts.

i believe in the number 13 thing too. i never set it as the volume number or screen brightness if i can help it.

this is my first time hearing about opening umbrellas indoors though. i've been doing that for so long to dry them up after going through rain lol.

Years
  • I bealive in some superstition beliefs like breaking mirrors and going under a ladder are not good. However other than those two I really don't mind nor think anything else superstition wise is bad. I'm very into and still studying Numberogly like 11:11 or also can be known as Angele Numbers as well. I know there's a Witching Hour starts at 3:00 - 4:00 AM I thinks that's also a superstition belief. I love black cats or any cat really.
    (=^・ェ・^=)

Years
  • I often joke about not tempting fate with what you say, but I don't truly believe in superstitious stuff like that.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I follow none of them because I'm 30 years old, to be quite blunt. I need hard evidence that breaking a mirror is going to cause me some kind of harm or "bad luck" in the future. There is no evidence. Ever. It's just some stuff someone made up to fill time, or to scare people. And besides, correlation doesn't equal causation, so even if I did walk under a ladder, then ended up pooping my pants in public the next day, my first thought would be "well, what did I eat yesterday?" and not "gee, shouldn't have innocuously walked underneath an inanimate object"

The only time I would ever be annoyed by another's superstitions is if they started to affect our time together as friends. Like, if I had an appointment on floor 13, and my friend couldn't join me solely because it was on floor 13, I'd get pretty annoyed, and I don't think our friendship would last very long, because it's not the kind of thinking that I want to surround myself with. I also lived with a friend during some leaner times, whose mother would go around the house banging pots to "ward off evil spirits" in accordance with her superstitions while we were trying to sleep. She loved me to death, and I thought she was a nice woman, but I still moved the hell out the very next week.

Last edited:
    Back