• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Surfing-Aye or Nay?

• Thread starter Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
  • Start date

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I liked how much Surf was used in Hoenn. It was another environment to explore and I also love water type Pokémon. I think surf outside of battle will happen on the dark blue mystery Pokémon again. Making separate animations for every Pokémon seems too much.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Yup i want a big ocean.After all i love sea especially if it is raining.AND of course an underwater legendary pokemon and of course an event like when you had to fight team aqua in the underwater cavern.

I think that would be really cool, it would be a good place to find Lugia post game or maybe even anew legendary!

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Yeah like what everyone else said about an underwater legendary, that would be fun. If they do reintroduce diving, I hope it has some destinations rather than just random items like in R/S/E but can dive in a lot of places unlike B/W.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
What is this about Reintroducing Dive? Dive is still an active HM in Generation 5. It would either carry over to Gen 6 like HMs usually do or get cycled out for the generation. But Dive is already an active HM and so is its full function. You can Dive underwater in B/W/B2/W2.

As for carrying over, I don't see any use for it yet. Maybe once they have shown us move, but its not yet needed and has always been one of the lesser used HMs since its not used a lot.

Surf is a staple HM from Gen 1 along with Fly, Cut, and Strength. I don't see those getting removed in Gen 6.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I'm sure Surf will always be there. HMs 1-4 have always been the same.

I believe the water encounter rate should be the same, maybe lowered if the region has a lot of water like that of Hoenn. Speaking of Hoenn, it had the best sea sections IMO: currents, dive spots, different things to find. Dive should return and be more useful unlike in Gen 5, more like in Gen 3. Underwater battles would be cool. Maybe even a lost underwater city that has something the evil team of this game wants.

I've always liked Whirlpool from G/S/C/HG/SS, I'd like Whirlpool as maybe a TM that you can use to find alternate pathways and cool items, much like HMs were used for in BW. I'd also like HMs to be required again in order to progress in some areas tbh.

Another thing I'm wondering is how you will look when you surf. Will you be surfing on a whale head as always?

As long as surfing is not as slow as it was in D/P...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think it'd be interesting for humans to be able to swim themselves tbh. I mean you could take swimming lessons (which'd look awesome to actually DIVE into the water given that it's 3D and you could see the sun as you dive in (to swim, not to dive) and just... swim along! Ugh I want this. I CAN TOTALLY SEE IT. :(

Back