• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Surgery

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    I've had two surgeries, in October and November of last year. :P The second one took place a week after the first and was due to complications with the first, haha.

I remember being really nervous the weekend before my surgery (I think it was on a Tuesday or Wednesday?). I felt sick whenever I thought about it and didn't like talking about it or acknowledging it was gonna happen but soon enough, my mindset just switched and I just wanted to get it over with. If you try to think of it that way ("only __ more days until all this is over and I can recover in peace!") then it takes off a lot of the stress and I know it really helped me.

lulz, tl;dr details now:
    Spoiler:

In all, there's really nothing to worry about if you're getting a standard procedure. Even if something does go a little wrong like with mine, I doubt it'd be a situation they haven't run into before and it's easily fixed. But complications so rarely happen that, honestly, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Just make sure you get lots of rest and relaxation before going in for it and you give yourself plenty of time to recover afterwards and you'll be absolutely fine. ♥

Do you know what your recovery window is? Like how long they'll keep you at the hospital after and how long it'll probably take to get you back to 100%? :O
    Wow after reading that story I'm even more nervous, the doctor told me I did not have to stay the night (Do to economy staff has been cut down, so patients get a shorter recovery time, some get non), so when I wake up and have fully woken up I am to be sent home, and I'm not looking forward to the drive home, it takes me 1 and half hour to get to the hospital, since the doctor that is doing the surgery only does it in that hospital, tho he interviewed me in Reykjavík, I have to go to Akranes to have the surgery, well my mom wanted to drive me there, but shes afraid to drive that way (it includes an underwater tunnel, if she were to skip those the drive would take 4 hours), so my grandad has to take me, and I heard my nan was demanding to go with me, so the question is which one will take me, but I know mom will be with me in the car (Not driving), the doctor said that I could not go to gym class for a month, and that I was not allowed to use the hand until the month is up. After hearing your story I'm a bit nervous something will go wrong, and I'm also nervous about if I wake up, and if something will go wrong.
    Well only 10 hours and 3 days until my surgery, 3.5 days until it's over.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    My dentist performed surgery on me while I was awake. He and an assisstant had to open my gums and move a muscle, so that they can put on my braces.

I didn't feel a thing, but I remember a puss-covered, small thing pop out. Made my mother throw up, lol.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I remember having surgery on my right eye back when I was 7. They had to rearrange some of my optical nerves or something, I can't really remember.

Anyway, for the next few weeks afterward I was seeing double-images through my eye. It was really weird.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Wow after reading that story I'm even more nervous, the doctor told me I did not have to stay the night (Do to economy staff has been cut down, so patients get a shorter recovery time, some get non), so when I wake up and have fully woken up I am to be sent home, and I'm not looking forward to the drive home, it takes me 1 and half hour to get to the hospital, since the doctor that is doing the surgery only does it in that hospital, tho he interviewed me in Reykjavík, I have to go to Akranes to have the surgery, well my mom wanted to drive me there, but shes afraid to drive that way (it includes an underwater tunnel, if she were to skip those the drive would take 4 hours), so my grandad has to take me, and I heard my nan was demanding to go with me, so the question is which one will take me, but I know mom will be with me in the car (Not driving), the doctor said that I could not go to gym class for a month, and that I was not allowed to use the hand until the month is up. After hearing your story I'm a bit nervous something will go wrong, and I'm also nervous about if I wake up, and if something will go wrong.
    Well only 10 hours and 3 days until my surgery, 3.5 days until it's over.
    Well, like I said, mine was a really rare case. Typically, there are never complications afterwards. Anyway, if you're going to be driving a lot to get back home, you might want to request that they give you something for nausea just in case. My operation was just in the downtown area but if you're driving out that far, you definitely don't wanna have to worry about carsickness or anything. :s

Really, there shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be sure to be extra careful with your wrist for the weeks following the operation and don't exert yourself more than you need to. Chances are you'll be on painkillers for a while afterwards so recovery will seem like it happened in no time.

Just relax and if you're still super nervous about it before you go in, do things to take your mind off it--read a book, watch TV, or just talk with friends.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Okay, I don't know what the hell I would do if I had to get a surgery, minor or major. I would be so so soooo scared. Like seriously.
    I've never had surgery, as you can tell, or ever broken a bone. My friend had heart surgery a while back, he had a hole in his heart from when he was a baby. Must of hurt like hell.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I technically had two minor surgeries, when I had two moles removed. They were kind of big, so it was just to make sure they didn't have cancer, and they didn't, so I'm fine. But now I have two circular scars: one under my chin and one on my back, just below my right shoulder. It wasn't really a big deal at all since all they did was numb the skin and then chisel them out.

If I did have major surgery I probably wouldn't be as scared as some of the people seem to be. I might be nervous to be under anesthesia, but otherwise I would probably just trust the doctors. Most surgeries don't, in fact, go wrong.

Years
    Hell, I could use some surgery for my cracked/shattered heels that never got fixed. My cracked arm, too. I'm really not afraid of it. You make my arm die, and it's money in my pocket.

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
    I would be extremely nervous if I were to have surgery again.
    The first time was I had surgery I didn't even know I was going to get it at the time and it took me by surprise. They had to remove something from my back. Thinking of it makes me shiver.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Though I was too young to remember this today, I had surgery after busting my chin open at a train station in Trenton, I believe. I was playing with some luggage and fell and hit my chin against the handle of the bench that my family was sitting on. The stitches went rather well, but there's some noticeable flaws in my chin that aren't typical with others. Though you have to be extremely close to see them.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    The closest I've had to getting surgery was getting my tonsils and adenoids out when I was five. I used to get a lot of ear infections and strep throat, along with tonsillitis So my mom had gotten sick of me getting sick and I had them out. XD

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
    I had my wisdom teeth removed, quick and easy. Of course, even having a few teeth removed has a recovery period, but it's probably worse than most things because you can't chew things for a few days...

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Nope in my whole teenage life. I'm used to watch patients holler in pain in the operating room when I was on duty, and I think it's really for the best.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I had my wisdom teeth taken out(all four of them), and I had to end up with stitches in my mouth. It wasn't too bad because they put me to sleep. Now afterwards my mouth was pretty puffed up. I looked like a chipmunk. XD And I couldn't talk for days, I had to write everything down. But that was minor, I wasn't scared then. Now if I have a major surgery, then I will be scared out of my mind. x.x

But since yours isn't that major, there isn't anything to be worried about. ^_^ Just relax.

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
    Once when I was 5, I had to get an extra piece of ear removed. I wasn't scared or nervous, but I woke up crying like a baby :3.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I've never had surgery before but if I will have to get surgery, i'd like...faint or something.

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
    Yeah, twice. The first time when I was around 4 because of some appendix problem (not really sure what it was, but I almost died because of it ._.) and 3 years ago when a Rottweiler bit my leg. I was terrified both times. Well actually, I'm always when doctors are around me. D:

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
    actually had suguery twice, once on the back of my head (split it open after a freak accident on a champion soccer game (dont ask me how it happened XD) and the other i had a small tumor in my arm that needed to be removed.

sure both of them hurt a little but don't worry about it, it usually goes really fast. especially when your arguing with your brother. :P or when your more scared of the shots....geez i still cant get over that fear.

good luck w/ it though and hope everything goes smoothly

Back